Author Topic: [WiE] Arc Royal (Puretech!) server now open to the public  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Nate

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
  • Resident Rumor Mill
[WiE] Arc Royal (Puretech!) server now open to the public
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:47:18 PM »
Greetings everyone, it is my pleasure to announce that we have officially opened up the Arc Royal server for public play! If you ever want to have a good friendly bash with us, feel free to come and perhaps join our teamspeak channel as well! (Just keep things fun and clean guys).

Please be aware that since puretech isn't really being tested on any other server, we have set up our server to assist in debugging and balancing of the puretech style of play. The only buy menu options that will appear for each team directly correspond to the assets that the BT universe says they're supposed to have. This leads to some interesting gameplay mechanics, such as the inner sphere side never being able to access the clan versions of weaponry, but the clans don't have access to long toms (among various other gameplay changes)! If you feel the need to switch things up from the "normal" style of public play, we strongly encourage coming and assisting in this effort.

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
Re: [WiE] Arc Royal (Puretech!) server now open to the public
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »
Neat! I'm very interested in trying out this kind of gameplay.

Offline Ven

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:00:41 AM »
Just played a couple rounds on the server...First time playing puretech, and I gotta say, it's rather fun. Gotta think things out a little more then what you would normally.

Offline =KoS=Zeus

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-0
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 04:05:02 AM »
Heh, welcome to my world, ladies and gents. I've been playing pure tech since pretty much day 1. :D

Next thing I'd like to see is a "Primes Only" server. ;)

Offline Nate

• MechWarrior
  • Resident Rumor Mill
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 05:09:19 AM »
Hmm, if we can figure out a way to do it we might try it for a couple days  ;D Though we would warn people in advance first.

Offline Eviticus

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +9/-0
  • Clan GB-72nd AT - Point Commander P4-B AS
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:04:45 AM »
Not to put a negative tone in here, because really I love this idea and I think this should be persued. But as MWLL stands currently I am not sure that there are enough assets in to fully round out the roles needed, especially at lower C-bill amounts. I like the idea of Puretech but that would really only work if we had access to all of the same tech as you would normally in Battletech. And while also cool, I think the Prime Only idea would multiply this problem.

Offline =KoS= Eldragon

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +91/-2
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 03:27:28 PM »
Not to put a negative tone in here, because really I love this idea and I think this should be persued. But as MWLL stands currently I am not sure that there are enough assets in to fully round out the roles needed, especially at lower C-bill amounts. I like the idea of Puretech but that would really only work if we had access to all of the same tech as you would normally in Battletech. And while also cool, I think the Prime Only idea would multiply this problem.

You're right, there are not enough assets to make it balanced. but it is REALLY fun to not only be able to identify the enemy based on what chassis they are using, but fighting an opforce that is wildly different than what you can field. 

Playing as IS and stealing a MadCat has a whole extra level of glory to it as well.

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »
While it may not be ready for formal competition, it's ready enough to be beta tested on public servers. 

After playing all last night I think the no c-bill transferring setting is hurting the Clan team a lot.  Pumas vs. Bushies doesn't work too well, and by the time Clan is in Scats they are fighting Thannys.  I love the idea of not sharing c-bills, but having sharing enabled does seem to smooth over the early Clan disadvantage.  I would advise enabling c-bill sharing until Clan fills in some of the holes in its roster.
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Bushys vs Pumas AND Oros however can work out. Clan has to stretch it a bit from lack of assets but it is doable.

When Demo's get out on the field though... gg until the really manly clan heavies arrive.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Nate

• MechWarrior
  • Resident Rumor Mill
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »
Yup, and thus why we're testing all of this. By doing the testing now, we can help the devs see where changes need to be made and help them set priorities in asset releases. Right now, it seems like the IS start off with a large advantage early game, but once the clan side gets a hold of their own heavies (madcat, thors and the like) the balance shifts to the clan side and then it's a rally to try and make up the score difference before game reaches its conclusion. C-bill transfers were disabled for a number of reasons. We want to prevent heavies and assaults from being fielded immediately (we want accurate data for both early game and late game, so this helps). We also want to see how asset progression works for both sides and what tweaks need to be implemented to make it better. These and other reasons caused us to make that decision, but whether we'll keep the server like that or eventually enable c-bill transfers remains to be seen.

I don't think we'd run puretech and primes only at the same time as it stands right now Eviticus, for the same reason you mentioned.

I say we should nickname the Uller C the "Spam" variant since it's by far the most popular clan mech early game right now (understandably, since there's only 3 freakin mechs to choose from with only 49k c-bills).

Thanks everyone who has played on the server for the first couple days, it's been great fun and we're helping make the game better in the process.  :)

Offline ratbuddy

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +76/-1
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »
Maybe they'll chime in, but I'm sure the devs are already well aware of the (im)balance issues between clan and IS.

If only it was as easy as saying "OK, we need a few clan mediums, maybe a couple more tanks on both sides, a clan vtol and heavy bomber, maybe a few more BA types. Let's get those done for tomorrow." Sadly, it doesn't work like that, and posting clan/IS feedback based on the way puretech plays now isn't going to create new assets any faster ;)

Offline Nate

• MechWarrior
  • Resident Rumor Mill
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »
Well yeah, I know. I just figure any extra information that the devs can get from the masses can't be a bad thing, right?  ;)

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 09:27:22 PM »
The problem with turning c-bill transfer off though is that the Clan units that are worth a shit start with the Thor A, which is ~86k or so.  So maybe your top few ranking people late game will be able to afford one with respawn money.  85k c-bill rank and below and your options are Scat or Puma, meanwhile the IS has Hollys, Uzis, Bushys, cheaper heavies, etc.

As far as tanks go, the Oro may be viable but I'm a Mechwarrior.

/Merf turning off c-bill transfer exacerbates the problem.
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline ratbuddy

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +76/-1
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »
Well yeah, I know. I just figure any extra information that the devs can get from the masses can't be a bad thing, right?  ;)

I'm just worried people might interpret clan vs IS mode as being something that's currently being balanced for when it's probably not.

Offline =KoS= Eldragon

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +91/-2
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »
At least by having c-bill transfer off, it forces clan pilots to actually use the Cougar and Puma. Its easy to get into the habit of skipping the clan lights and going straight for the IS mediums at that price bracket.