Author Topic: IMPORTANT! Community mappers need to copy their ResourceCompiler!  (Read 8741 times)

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-0
  • What would a pirate do?
Sometimes there is problem where solids (eg. Duncan Fisher posters in the SA_Singlemechbay) show up as orange balls ingame.
If this happens to you, follow the instructions below

The Editor is actually trying to find a ResouceCompiler in your mods directory, which is required to convert solids to .cgfs so they will show up ingame, unfortunately it is not included in the Beta. On top of that the sb2 seems to have a problem exporting maps directly into the mods-directory.
I don't get it anymore! let's just say it behaves very strange for whatever reason, and you can get around it by following the instructions below...

Easy fix:

go to ...\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis Wars\bin32 and copy the folder named "rc" to ...\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis Wars\Mods\mwll\bin32. Aside of that you need to save and export any changes you make to your map into the mods/mwll directory: Crysis Wars/Mods/MWLL/Game/Levels/Multiplayer/*Mapname*, in fact the first thing you need to do after creating a new map is to generate the surface texture and save the map, then leave the editor and move the folder to your mwll-directory, then load andwork on the map from there.
If this doesn't work, and you're using the 64bit version of the SB2, try using the 32bit version instead.

This is recommended to every community mapper, not only those who work on SA-maps!
There are solids used in the 8-Bay-Hangar and various other prefabs that are required for maps, and since the ResourceCompiler is needed to convert solids, none of those solids will be present ingame if you don't copy it from the Crysis Wars directory.

Big thanks to CoffiNail, Aidan and Finalizer who helped a great deal in figuring out how to solve that issue!

PS.: if you are under the impression that you understand less and less about how the sb2 works the more youknow about it, rest assured, that's quite common! :-X
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:12:51 PM by 7.[WD]Sesambrot »
If at first you don't succeed try again, and if you don't try again, you'll be hit in the face with a shovel!
"I'm a piece of C.R.A.P."

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
Re: IMPORTANT! Community mappers need to copy their ResourceCompiler!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
We have just identified the cause of the DuncanFisher posters not showing up on SA-maps created with the current beta.

The Editor is actually trying to find a ResouceCompiler in your mods directory, which is required to convert solids to .cgfs so they will show up ingame, unfortunately it is not included in the Beta.

Easy fix:

go to ...\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis Wars\bin32 and copy the folder named "rc" to ...\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis Wars\Mods\mwll\bin32 and you should be fine.

This is recommended to every community mapper, not only those who work on SA-maps!
There are solids used in the in the 8-Bay-Hangar and various other prefabs that are required for maps, and since the ResourceCompiler is needed to convert solids, none of those solids will be present ingame if you don't copy it from the Crysis Wars directory.

Will this file copy trigger cheat protection?

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:44:58 PM »
I tested it with my own betainstallation and the cheatprotection didn't get triggered.
My beta isn't any different than yours, so there should be no problems for you either.
If at first you don't succeed try again, and if you don't try again, you'll be hit in the face with a shovel!

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
  • The Man
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:23:23 AM »
No, the resource compiler isnt a part of the beta(its external - only used by editor at level export) and wont trigger the Cheat Protection like other stray files can. We are working on integrating the SDK's resource compiler directly into the beta so that community mappers wont have to copy things manually. This is the temporary workaround until that time, for people having trouble getting solids to compile and work..

At least those disappearing solids now have a cause.. good ol Sandbox bein extremely illogical as usual... i swear they must have had monkeys writing the code for that editor sometimes... lol
"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate"
- Attributed to Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 03:36:19 PM »
Will the rest of the MWLL player community need to copy the Crytek resource compiler?

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • The Man
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
No, its only required for people making maps using the beta.. and then only to be able to use Solids. The Solids in cryengine are actually compiled into .cgf brushes by the resource compiler and stored inside the level.pak file. This is done when the "Export to Engine" operation is run. The reason the RC needs to be copied is that in its default location of "Crysis Wars\Bin32\RC\" it will not be found by the editor started with the "-mod MWLL" switch as an editor running a mod searches in the mod folder for the resource compiler only.. it wont search back down to the root Wars folder for it which I believe is a bug(or at the very least bad design). ... easiest workaround is to just copy it to where the editor is looking for it(Mods\MWLL\Bin32\RC).

Alternatively, you could try adding the RC folder to the "path" environment variable in windows and see if the editor will find it then.. please note that i have not tested this, its just a theory but will depend on how the editor accesses the filesystem... directly or not..
"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate"

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
RC is copied... i will re-export Alshain, it is nearing version 0.4 anyways... so with luck in a few days if my mood holds.

Offline CGB [Duffanichta]

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:07:55 AM »
Oh.. should do that too. Does It work even if I use the 64 Bit veron of the Editor?

PS: Dankeschön für die Info Sesam :) :)

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 01:57:12 PM »
Oh.. should do that too. Does It work even if I use the 64 Bit veron of the Editor?

PS: Dankeschön für die Info Sesam :) :)

it should...
tho to make sure it works, I'd recommend to delete the level.pak of the map you're working on if you exported it without the rc before, and export it again with the rc in the right place.
just reexporting it without deleting the existing level.pak might not fix the broken solids.

PS: NP

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
since this does not work properly, can we unsticky it until a solution is found?

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
Well, first I don't have the rights to do this, second that's the reason I tried to mark it as INVALID, and third I don't really see a reason to unsticky it as I still hope that someone with an idea on how to fix this might stumble across it...
besides that way there won't be numerous complaitns about it not working as I stated cleary that it's not our fault.
I wouldn't want to have to deal with the same complaint every two weeks because people can't find the cause of their problem. (as it has been before)

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • The Man
this needs more investigation...

the solution works for me... copy resource compiler from "crysis wars\bin32\rc" to "mods\mwll\bin32\rc" folder(so it exists in 2 places - making sure to copy required dlls with it), export from 32bit editor and solids work ingame(not from 64bit however)... there has to be something we are missing that causing it to fail for some users... Im sure ive seen a few community mappers who have managed to get solids working, unless im imagining things :S lol

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
Well i know for me and Duff it does not seem to work... I will ask Dem see if solids work for him, as i do not recall.

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • The Man
just had an idea ... not sure if it would work, but if you guys wanna try ur welcome...

If you move your map out of the mods folder structure and into "Crysis Wars\Game\Level\Multiplayer\<etc>" .. so its not within the mods\mwll folders at all, and then export it.. do the solids work in that case ? im thinking this may work just to get the solids exported.. maps could then be moved back into the mods folder and development continue as normal... bit of a painful workaround I know, but i figured its worth a try lol.. it works both ways for me in the beta, but im not sure if im the exception or not lol..

Offline =KoS= Finalizer

• The bomb diggity diggity
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +61/-0
  • ORE WA BATTLEMECH
That's what I've been doing the whole time (Editing within Crysis Wars/Game/Levels/etc, exporting & moving the files to the Mods/MWLL/Game/Levels/etc...), and it doesn't work, there are still orange balls in the Mech Hangars in SA. I'll give it a try with the 32 bit editor tonight just to make sure though.

Superior commit notes for superior developers