Author Topic: 1v1 scoring and rules questions  (Read 6624 times)

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar, 331st Feral Fangs
1v1 scoring and rules questions
« on: August 02, 2011, 09:48:47 AM »
I am curious as to the 1v1 scoring. Just got back from a 3 week vacation of sorts so perhaps I have missed something, but I can not quite get the results (all 3 of them so far...) to match up with the rules I see posted for 1v1. Admittedly I go by the old FCL scoring since I could not find any actual scoring information.

What I see the rules state:
1. Matches will be decided by a Best of Three rounds format with players dualing one map until their asset is destroyed.

What I see in the result posting:
Final scoring: 1/0, 1/0, 2/1 (3 matches)

So, what is the idea here?

/Merf - Curious

Offline ELH_KillThemALL

• Alphatester
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
  • Eridani Light Horse
    • Eridani Light Horse
Re: 1v1 scoring and rules questions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:45:08 AM »
I have already asked about this on main forum.
http://forum.mwbu.net/index.php?topic=113.0%20

Pubs are boring! Twinkletoes
Fundrops are fun!
Planetary League will makes me into ecstasy!

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:58:43 AM »
Nice. Thank you.
Then it was just the one match reported as 2/1 that was confusing me then.
I also had not come to the conclusion it was all 3 rounds on the same map from just reading the rules I could find.

What other server options should be set for duels? I am assuming league mode on, turrets off at the very least.

The server info I was able to find seemed to more relate to trying to create some auto-reporting/setting-up in the background (apparently requiring linking MWBU user with Gamespy ID? might be a problem seeing as gamespy has a tendency to eff up and some switch Gamespy ID on occasion. I have switched twice since starting MWLL.).

/Merf - Questions are the key to knowledge

Offline 4204ME

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +38/-0
    • MWBU
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »
I am curious as to the 1v1 scoring. Just got back from a 3 week vacation of sorts so perhaps I have missed something, but I can not quite get the results (all 3 of them so far...) to match up with the rules I see posted for 1v1. Admittedly I go by the old FCL scoring since I could not find any actual scoring information.

What I see the rules state:
1. Matches will be decided by a Best of Three rounds format with players dualing one map until their asset is destroyed.

What I see in the result posting:
Final scoring: 1/0, 1/0, 2/1 (3 matches)

So, what is the idea here?

/Merf - Curious

Merf,

Thats what I get for copy pasting without much proff reading. revised rule set will be up shortly

The duels are best 2 out of three rounds with asset destruction being the deciding factor. There has been some confusion about scoring based on some imported code and preconceptions from the FCL ladder.
All ladder matches are to scored simply by win/lose. The ladder is a pure ladder in so far as your ranking on it and win loss ratio are the only stast that we intend to focus on.
If you play and win your first 2 rounds then match is over and you have +1 win and 0 loss reported. The number of rounds 2vs3 is not relevant. The matches are supposed to be played on MWBU servers. In the event that one is not available/satisfactory then other arrangements can be made.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:52:58 PM by 4204ME »

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:09 PM »
<Explanation>

Thank you for the clarification!
Then it was simply results like these: Match 1 and Match 2 that confused me.

Regarding the servers, it is all well and fine that servers should be pre configured and ready but I still feel there could be a point to list the actual settings in use. That is something I feel a potential new player would like to know before signing up. That league settings are displayed upon match join in that red box is a bit too late in my humble opinion.

/Merf - When your toes are crushed it is too late to strap on your steel toe-caped boots

Offline Globel

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
  • Baby, thinkin of you keeps me up all night
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 01:40:24 AM »
the server.cfg's are attached to the threads on the MWBU forum. This way there is no confusion with what settings to add and witch ones to omit.

----------------------------------------------
You drive me crazy
I just cant sleep
Im so excited, I'm in too deep
Ohh...crazy, but it feels alright

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 09:16:31 AM »
the server.cfg's are attached to the threads on the MWBU forum. This way there is no confusion with what settings to add and witch ones to omit.

They are? True enough, I can see the attachment symbol on the thread but no actual attachment. I suppose one is required to log in to see those. If that is the case I would suggest compiling the actual settings (from a player perspective, not a server admin perspective) and make them available somewhere for unregistered members. I believe that would help people make the decision to join or not. I know I myself is reluctant to register anywhere before i know I want to actually be part of whatever it is I am registering for, and if the information necessary to make that call is not available I tend to default to not registering/not bothering.

/Merf - Data received...

Offline 4204ME

• MechWarrior
    • MWBU
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »
Merf,

We got the Opera thing worked out  ;D I have some impressive people on this team and I am humbled at their drive to satisfy their base for absolutely nothing in return.

Merf I would hope that once you see all the the things you require before signing up that you will give it a shot. Particularly the ladders that seem like the opposite of what you wanted. We have had very little experience as a community playing MWLL in a structured system. It is my position that few know what we really want in the settings and rules. I am trying to throw the dice a few times and see where they land. Will legging break it? Will ejecting BA break it? Will it hurt balance to allow reloads while disallowing repair? Should assets be limited? These questions are a fools trap to answer from where we are now. This ladder system is designed to go quickly. Many matches in a less random environment. More consistent servers. More controlled environment. Each change can actually make its effects apparent. I have intentionally ignored some of the expectations that drove the FCL rule set. At the end of the day it costs nothing to join and will be better then a laggy pub filled with random levels of skill crashes afk's insta madcats etc... I wish like hell I could play in it.. eventually I will... If for example somebody thinks legging should be removed I say go leg your ass off in the ladder and prove its a game breaker. Same w many other "missing rules". These rules will change with the input and  response we get from the people that have had the experience on the ladder to stand behind the assertions made. If the game gets broken because we did it wrong or missed something.. We fix it. I know my plan is less than perfect. It is a plan however and it is moving forward. I encourage help implementing and improving it along the way.

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:16:55 AM »
Yay for layout fix! Looks good now.

New things that confuse me though. The duel ladders are scored with just win/lose I have understood, but how is the ranking calculated? Just as a difference between the two? if it is then I find the listing currently seems to make little sense. Perhaps something is up with the sorting?

Taking the medium bracket again as example (since I like mediums and it has the most players), it seems like players with 0 wins and 0 losses are ranked higher then players with 1 win and 0 losses. Have attached an image on how it looks currently.

/Merf - Ponders if those with a high rank number are more disgusting then the ones with a low.

[EDIT] Now with actual attachment

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:57:48 PM by MerfMerf »

Offline 4204ME

• MechWarrior
    • MWBU
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 04:12:38 PM »
When a new ladder is created the initial rank on that ladder is decided by who signs up first. Since ignoring a challenge will end up as a loss the people who rushed to sign up but do not actually fight to keep their spot will quickly fall to where they should be.

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 04:19:03 PM »
When a new ladder is created the initial rank on that ladder is decided by who signs up first. Since ignoring a challenge will end up as a loss the people who rushed to sign up but do not actually fight to keep their spot will quickly fall to where they should be.

That does not quite explain how in the picture attached AIMB with 1 win 0 losses is ranked worse then toasterpastries with 0 wins and 1 loss.
I am assuming a loss due to ignored challenge would be visible as a loss.

/Merf - ?

Offline 4204ME

• MechWarrior
    • MWBU
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »
Aimb started off much lower on the ladder. While Toaster started at the top. If the current trend continues  ::). I think they will be swapping places next match.

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 05:09:05 PM »
Aimb started off much lower on the ladder. While Toaster started at the top. If the current trend continues  ::). I think they will be swapping places next match.

This still does not explain what the ranking is based on...

Do you mean to say that wining simply moves one up one step, and losing moves you down? Meaning those that fall victim to the sort order (playerID, alphabetical name sort, time of signing up or what ever) have to win [number of people sorted before them] times more to get to the top? Say you get 10 players in a ladder (you have more already now, even though one can not tell if they are active or not) then the one who had the misfortune to get sorted at the bottom have to win 9 matches just to get up to the same spot as the one who was lucky enough to get sorted at the top. Looking at FCL that would be half the matches for a whole season for many players, just to get to the same spot the other player got for free. This does not make sense to me and I doubt that is how it is made.

/Merf - O_o

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 05:09:26 PM »
Everyone on the ladder should be equal at the start, regardless of signup order.  In that screenshot it should be 1-0 on the top, 0-0 in the middle, 0-1 on the bottom.  Even if it evens out later, whoever signed up first will always have an (increasingly smaller but still there) advantage under the current system, no?
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 05:28:51 PM »
Everyone on the ladder should be equal at the start, regardless of signup order.  In that screenshot it should be 1-0 on the top, 0-0 in the middle, 0-1 on the bottom.  Even if it evens out later, whoever signed up first will always have an (increasingly smaller but still there) advantage under the current system, no?

What, not looking forward to ~16 fights just to get to the same spot as someone with 1/0 score? ^^

/Merf - Hoping it is just a sort order mess up