Author Topic: Random Variant match Fri 1/6/12 4PM EST  (Read 7104 times)

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
Re: Random Variant match Fri 1/6/12 4PM EST
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 02:41:55 AM »
I am in.
12th Vegan Rangers - Missile spam is the best kind of spam!

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 03:01:58 AM »
I found breaking people up into their respective 5 man groups, then handing out assets to the 5 man group leader to distribute himself worked best. Ofc with the random variants, could still do the split, then just talk to a group at a time. Will ofc not result in channel wide lulz though, which may make this gamemode rather epic.

I thought about it, but the mode is for two reasons.

1. To speed things up as fast as possible, minimal droplist decisions to assure playing time is maximized over organizing time.

2. Hot seat type gameplay. Rather than putting everyone in what they're comfortable with, pilots should be prepared to take anything and do well with it. This puts pressure on everyone rather than the "most reliable" players.

And of course, channel wide lulz are always important. ;)

also, you might want to move Parti down to light level, because the only one even remotely worth a medium is the RAC 2 one, and even then it's still only barely a match

I'm thinking about it. I might move it down to light and move the Vulture and Catapult down to medium. The medium class is very small compared to all the other classes at the moment.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline =CJW=YalK

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +96/-1
  • There's no brakes on the Rape Train
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 03:52:07 AM »
Intrigued by this am I

be there...I will

Unless forget I do

Expecting understanding and empathy on the internet (especially in Toast [especially by Bill]) = fail.
And I say hey hey hey....I said hey, what's goin' on And I say hey.... hey....I said hey, what's goin' on? >>> THIS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yNAwUUsc0

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 06:57:33 AM »
I can make it too, but why are you still doing the no variants repeating, and is that for both teams?  That seems to make it really too random.  Kind of like the first round we played last week, before you separated by weight class.  It makes sense when you don't know what the other people are fielding, and I suppose it would be good if we get teams of ten or more, but with less players it seemed like a coin toss.  A couple of those matches were really close though, Marshes and the Jungle Impact one, I think.  Was pretty fun, but really I was groaning when I heard the list we got at first, especially compared what y'all got. ;) 

Anyways, should be fun. :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »
I can make it too, but why are you still doing the no variants repeating, and is that for both teams?  That seems to make it really too random.  Kind of like the first round we played last week, before you separated by weight class.  It makes sense when you don't know what the other people are fielding, and I suppose it would be good if we get teams of ten or more, but with less players it seemed like a coin toss.

Not sure what you mean? In practice the only thing the no repeating variants rule will mean is that we don't get the same things over and over for a few rounds.
I doubt we will play enough rounds to where it becomes predictable what the other side will get. Even then, once I run out of options, I can just reset the pool.

And yes, everyone will be picking from the same variant list. What might happen is, if we use the dual pick system, variants will get skipped completely and not be told to anyone. This is mostly to keep me from confusing myself.

Technically if we did with replacements picks then it would be more random than removing them from the pool. Thus, I'm not sure what your concern is.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline elfisko

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
  • Nyaa?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
I am in.
All Your Base Are Belong to Us

Offline Ivaan

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +44/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 10:04:47 PM »
I'm in  :)

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »
I can make it too, but why are you still doing the no variants repeating, and is that for both teams?  That seems to make it really too random.  Kind of like the first round we played last week, before you separated by weight class.  It makes sense when you don't know what the other people are fielding, and I suppose it would be good if we get teams of ten or more, but with less players it seemed like a coin toss.

Not sure what you mean? In practice the only thing the no repeating variants rule will mean is that we don't get the same things over and over for a few rounds.
I doubt we will play enough rounds to where it becomes predictable what the other side will get. Even then, once I run out of options, I can just reset the pool.

And yes, everyone will be picking from the same variant list. What might happen is, if we use the dual pick system, variants will get skipped completely and not be told to anyone. This is mostly to keep me from confusing myself.

Technically if we did with replacements picks then it would be more random than removing them from the pool. Thus, I'm not sure what your concern is.

I'm stupid, I wasn't think of it as non-repeating throughout rounds.  Was really just thinking about the size of teams, and if there were 2 of the same asset, on either team, for one round, and then not repeat for the next.  Makes sense, and I am not concerned, just curious. :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline =KoS=Zeus

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »
Would be there, but work trumps play.

Offline =CJW= Dhalrin

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 02:29:32 PM »
I'll most likely be there.
Absolutely no Fun allowed on this Bocks!

Offline Hartsblade}12th VR{

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 02:32:32 PM »
I think I can actually make this one  :)

Offline Hartsblade}12th VR{

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 09:38:44 PM »
Well here it is 1540 and I'm just leaving Mom's, and hour away from home.  So I will still try to show up but very late...

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »
don't worry, we always start an hour late anyway, because f.uck punctuality :P

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 09:41:45 PM »
PUT THE FOOT ON THAT ACCELERATOR HART!
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 01:04:09 AM »
I'd say it went well.  :)

In two hours we got seven rounds in.

Next time I will do more dual picks, as the majority of this time was single picks.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-