Author Topic: Recommended and Minimum System Requirements for MWLL  (Read 11761 times)

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
Re: Recommended and Minimum System Requirements for MWLL
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 03:58:53 AM »
Add the text "sys_physics_CPU = 2" or "sys_physics_CPU = 3" respectively for core 3 or 4, in your autoexec.cfg.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline IceVamp

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +6/-1
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
Add the text "sys_physics_CPU = 2" or "sys_physics_CPU = 3" respectively for core 3 or 4, in your autoexec.cfg.
Does win7 and the game force the game to use core 0 and 1? Because in CCC you're told to set it to 1 if you have a multicore, but I'd rather do what you say here then. Just got a new rig, and I'm playing smooth on max settings. The game looks amazing, and I am actually improving now. :p

Asus Maximus V Gene
i7 Core 3770K
Asus GTX680 DirectCU II 2GB
12GB corsair DDR3 1666 (non-stock cpu cooler was to big to fit the last 4GB. >.<)
Intel 520 120GB SSD
WD Caviar 2TB 7200rpm
-I would if I could, but I can't so I won't.

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 05:11:49 AM »
The CVar forces Crysis on a specific core to allocate proccess by iirc. Windows just takes the first core/route if not addressed by a software.

You can set it to any core wanted. I chose core 3 (sys_physics_CPU = 2) that at times the CPU seemed being addressed processes on core 2 other than Crysis/MWLL.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline Freeborn_Toad

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +44/-6
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »
In my experience the sys_physics_CPU variable doesn't alter which core the physic thread runs on.

I've tried various settings and the main render thread is nearly always placed on logical CPU 11, while the physics thread is almost always on logical CPU 7, on either of my main setups.

There is also evidence that there are only two valid settings 0 and 1, with 0 locking render and physics frame rate.

Offline alanwescoat

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 02:14:52 PM »
I'm considering building a system ONLY to play MWLL.  No future-proofing is necessary.  I would like it to run MWLL like a bat out of hell, but I want to do it on a budget.

My current mobo is LGA 775, so it appears that I will need to go completely with a new mobo, CPU, and RAM.  What I'm really wondering is that since MWLL depends upon CPU rather than GPU tricks, would it be possible just to invest in a nice i7 3rd gen CPU (with Iris graphics) and skip adding a GPU altogether.  I hate this GPU thing.  The damned things are expensive, LOUD, and just plain irritating.

I guess what I'm hoping to do is to buy a cheap LGA1155 mobo, i7 3xxx processor, and 8GB DDR3 1600 and call it good enough.  Do those of you think it's possible to get MWLL running nicely without a GPU on such hardware?  Incidentally, I could not afford an SSD on top of this, so it's out of the question.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 03:33:58 PM »
I'm considering building a system ONLY to play MWLL.  No future-proofing is necessary.  I would like it to run MWLL like a bat out of hell, but I want to do it on a budget.

My current mobo is LGA 775, so it appears that I will need to go completely with a new mobo, CPU, and RAM.  What I'm really wondering is that since MWLL depends upon CPU rather than GPU tricks, would it be possible just to invest in a nice i7 3rd gen CPU (with Iris graphics) and skip adding a GPU altogether.  I hate this GPU thing.  The damned things are expensive, LOUD, and just plain irritating.

I guess what I'm hoping to do is to buy a cheap LGA1155 mobo, i7 3xxx processor, and 8GB DDR3 1600 and call it good enough.  Do those of you think it's possible to get MWLL running nicely without a GPU on such hardware?  Incidentally, I could not afford an SSD on top of this, so it's out of the question.

MWLL needs both a lot of CPU and GPU performance, not just CPU. And no, you'll not be happy if you only use the Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;). On a budget, I'd rather go for something like an Intel Core i5-3570 + GeForce 660 Ti or Radeon HD 7870. And an SSD ;). They are not that expensive anymore.

Offline Ch3m1kal

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +59/-2
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 03:47:04 PM »
MWLL, as do pretty much all other games, relies heavily on the GPU to render the large scale scenes.
The built-in Iris graphics will run it, but not at 1920x1080 and not with everything cranked up to the max.
Check out some benchmark scores:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/12

You should look into getting a mid range GPU, like the Geforce 660 or ATI 7950 and an i5 CPU or even one of those cheap 8 core AMD FX things. They're not fantastic, but they are cheap and offer more bang for your buck than Intel and should be plenty fast for gaming.
Also if you pick the right video card it shouldn't be noisy and just in case you don't there's always after market cooling.

For example i use an Nvidia 570GTX, which was indeed very loud so i put an AC Accelero Xtreme III on it and now i can't hear it over my hard drives and it's around 15C cooler.
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »
MW:LL only really uses 1 or 2 cores, so there's no advantage in anything with more than 4. A core i5 2400 (What I have) can drive it to ~50 to 60 fps just fine, as long as your video card doesn't suck. I run an AMD 7870 2G card with my i5 2400 and only during the most demanding combat scenes do I drop below 50 fps, and then 40 is about as low as it gets.  Older maps that don't have as much environmental stuff going on get well over 60fps all the time.

My older video card, a GTX460SE got about 1/2 the performance as the 7870 and was also quite acceptable, except on Enkaladus and a few others that are total GPU hogs.

If I remember correctly Cry engine 2 is optimzied better on AMD than Nvidia GPUs.

Offline alanwescoat

• Bondsman
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 03:44:26 PM »
Okay.  Thanks all.  Then let's see if there's anything I can do with what I've got.  I'm currently running:

LGA775 Intel Q9550 (Core 2 Quad 2.83Ghz)
4GB RAM (board max!  I know, that sucks, but it should be enough for gaming)
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB (which appears to totally suck under Windows, even though it's working like a charm in Linux Mint)

The only faster Intel CPU that will fit the socket is 3.0Ghz.  No reason to try that, even if the CPU was available.
So it looks like the only thing I could do is slap in a new GPU.  Otherwise, I gotta go with a new mobo, CPU, RAM, and considering what a piece of suck the 5770 is under Windows, a new GPU as well.  Right now, the game WILL play without CCC, but it isn't any fun.  Without any real action, I'm getting about 15FPS (guess) with all settings at low and 768 x 1024.  Also, something is going wonky with the ATI drivers because I get all kinds of screen junk under Firefox, SIW, and MWLL, and MechWarrior Online with just a tiny bit of problem with Google Chrome, though other programs give me no problem, and there are absolutely NO problems with graphics under Linux Mint with the Linux drivers for the card installed.

So would slapping a really nice new GPU into my lone ePCI x 16 slot make it fun?  Or should I save up and drop more on a new mobo, mid-range CPU, RAM, and a couple of cheap NVIDIA cards with SLI?  Seriously, the only thing that I want to do with my computer that I can't already do is play MWLL.  That Q9550 gives me plenty of processing power for non-game apps, and I hardly ever max out my RAM.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 04:07:40 PM »
15 FPS seems too low for what you have. In my system that Q9550 is enough for me (its at 3.6GHz though), but I play at 1280x1024 with low detail graphics, coupled by a 9800GT as the GPU. If its all quiet I expect I'm CPU bound, however sitting happily above 60FPS (you can see your FPS with the Crysis console command r_displayinfo 1). When the action kicks in I'd say my GPU is the weak link.

With your current system, what you could do is overclock your CPU, if your motherboard allowed, and provived your cooler could handle the heat. And try updating your GPU drivers to the latest version, it should help.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline alanwescoat

• Bondsman
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 06:24:54 PM »
15 FPS seems too low for what you have. In my system that Q9550 is enough for me (its at 3.6GHz though), but I play at 1280x1024 with low detail graphics, coupled by a 9800GT as the GPU. If its all quiet I expect I'm CPU bound, however sitting happily above 60FPS (you can see your FPS with the Crysis console command r_displayinfo 1). When the action kicks in I'd say my GPU is the weak link.

With your current system, what you could do is overclock your CPU, if your motherboard allowed, and provived your cooler could handle the heat. And try updating your GPU drivers to the latest version, it should help.

Thanks for that input.  50 or 60 FPS at low graphics would be totally fine with me.  I think my system does pretty poorly for what I put into it.  I've actually tried rolling the drivers back with no particularly good effect.  I'm curious as to what OS you are using.  I'm on Windows 7 x64.

My mobo does not allow overclocking.  It's an Intel DG31PR (mini ATX).  Maybe I just need a new Mobo that allows overclocking.  My cooling system can definitely handle it.  I've got a Silent Freezer attached along with an acrylic Turex DIY Monster 4.5 case that is open on four sides for airflow, and I've got spare silent fans lying around that I can add to the two I've already got going.  Since MWLL apparently works best with a high clock rate, possibly it's your overclocking that is having the most impact.  From what I found in benchmark testing, the HD 5770 benchmarked a whole heck of a lot better than the 9800GT (except in power consumption...lol).

Maybe I've got it!  I just realized that I have a rather peculiar version of the card, Gigabyte's silent version.  It has no fans but rather a MASSIVE heat sink (and I added a 12cm silent fan).  I have never installed the exact version of the driver recommended by Gigabyte, going instead directly to ATI's website for the latest and greatest.  Maybe an install of the correct driver will clear up my problem.

EDIT: Actually, I now recall that I installed Gigabyte's recommended drivers when I got the card and back then MWLL worked pretty well.  I just took out the more recent drivers and installed the specific ones recommended by Gigabyte and had instant radical improvements, though MWLL crashed.  I'm thinking I need to redo everything from a clean install of Windows.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:11:33 PM by alanwescoat »

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 11:40:23 PM »
Does it always crash?  Cause MWLL crashing periodically is just something that happens.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 01:46:02 AM »
I'm (still) on Windows XP x86, most of the times. I'd trust on the latest drivers through AMD/ATI, the ones on the boards manufacturers aren't updated because they don't bother about it I guess. But if you're having better performance...

Oh, have you tried ticking the box that says "Force DirectX 9 mode" in the MWLL Launcher? Its been known to fix some glitches.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 04:53:42 PM »
And no, you'll not be happy if you only use the Intel HD Graphics 4000.
If it's a 4000, the game will be perfectly playable. My graphics card died a while ago and I tried the HD4000 for the first time - I set all the settings to "low", except for three or four in specific (those I put to "high"). And the game is perfectly playable (didn't measure fps, but I never noticed any stutter) - maybe you can even crank up some of the settings, I didn't see the need to experiment.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2013, 09:04:49 AM »
Playing on low makes you happy while owning a Core i7? ;)