Author Topic: What is the Origin of your Handle/username?  (Read 10992 times)

Offline SpectreOne

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
  • Ghost Knight
What is the Origin of your Handle/username?
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:23:20 AM »
One thing I love on any forum is the names I see. Whether they are ingenious or hilarious, I always wonder, What makes people think of that particular username?

So, what is the origin of your handle?
It is far better to be heard and not seen than to be seen an not heard; such is the way of a Ghost Knight.

Mal: "If anyone gets nosy, just...you know... shoot 'em. "
Zoe: "Shoot 'em?"
Mal: "Politely."
~Quote from Firefly

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
Re: What is the Origin of your Handle/username?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 03:38:07 AM »
you first :P

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 04:17:30 AM »
Mine is pretty simple. My main name plus James Bond movie influences. I used it the first time to play CS 1.6, but then I quickly realised that it wasn't a very good username choice (not 1337 enough ;D). Still its one that I pick to use in forums and such. :)
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline SpectreOne

• Bondsman
  • Ghost Knight
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 04:34:31 AM »
 ;) Oh I see how it is.

Not very eventful, but, here you go.
SpectreOne. Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries was one of my absolute favorite mech games as a kid. I enjoyed the endless rampage of my Daishi. You know, that unstoppable 100 ton omni mech? Yeah, that one. Well, your player was always in control of "Spectre Lance". As I progressed I just took up the name "Spectre" and ended up co-leading my group of friends in Airsoft and Paintball teams. I was in charge of the sniper group while the leader took care of the rest of the team. I was then tagged as "SpectreOne" on our radios. Pretty successful team. People never knew what hit em.  8)
It is far better to be heard and not seen than to be seen an not heard; such is the way of a Ghost Knight.

~Quote from Firefly

Offline =CJW=YalK

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +96/-1
  • There's no brakes on the Rape Train
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 04:48:19 AM »
Man I miss paint ball

Real name backwards with a k

Ehem, Dire Wolf

Expecting understanding and empathy on the internet (especially in Toast [especially by Bill]) = fail.
And I say hey hey hey....I said hey, what's goin' on And I say hey.... hey....I said hey, what's goin' on? >>> THIS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yNAwUUsc0

Offline SpectreOne

• Bondsman
  • Ghost Knight
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 05:12:16 AM »
Ehem, Dire Wolf

Lol.  :D Correct me if you want. I like the Drac name for it. Doesn't count against it's lethality as a mech. I think a mech of this caliber should be called "Great Death or Great Master". Dire Wolf doesn't seem to express it enough. Just my thoughts. It doesn't matter that much. Call it what you will. I grew up calling it "Dashi" yet spelling it out as Daishi, so it's the name I'm familiar with. ;)

~Quote from Firefly

Offline Q

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:38:01 AM »
Q from Quake, the first on-line game I got addicted to. Tho the real inspiration was that while I was playing Quake I noticed that  the names I usually liked were  short and easy and I had seen some other single-letter handles floating around... but wanting to be unique I chose one of the least used letters. Sure it helped that I was playing Quake, and there's a Q in Star Trek... but those are coincidences!

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,15250.0.html

Not sure if this forum engine does merges, but might be of use?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 09:05:50 PM »
There's a small handful of names that I use.

Malaclypse - from the Principia Discordia, also the name of my Paladin on Arctic MUD (back in my mudding days).
Harowen - From Angband, Harowen the Black Hand, primary name I use for rogue's.  Also most likely to get nerfed.
Aule - Aule Kementari, from the Silmarillion.
Krindi - From David Weber's Empire of Man series.

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »
Werewolf486

I love wolves, awesome animals. The way they work, live and survive has always caught my attention. I had a Husky for 11 years, closest thing to a wolf without putting one into an environment it should never be in. Wolves are not pets. So I just used Werewolf. As for the 486 part, back when people had pagers that was my code to let people know who called. I own a 1968 GTO and if you look on a phone 486 is GTO.
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline DFDelta

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +145/-1
  • Wiki Staff
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 01:56:40 AM »
Just out of curiosity, because sometimes nicknames have a long or interesting history to them, or are just important in some other way.

Mine consists of 2 parts (doh), each with its own history.
The first one, the DF, stands for Daniel Ferel, which is the name I've been using in SciFi RPGs and the like since I was 8 or 9 years old. Daniel is my own first name, and the Ferel might be a misspelled Feral, don't really remember, was far too long ago.  ;D
I've been using that name for a lot of stuff since then. For example I released Doom 2, Heretic and Hexen maps under that name, back in the early days of the internets.  ;D

The Delta part came a few years later, when the first Unreal was released, the first FPS that I remember to have played online.
Me and some friends had the idea to name ourselves after greek letters, and I've chosen Delta because it starts with a D, and I always liked how it sounds.
A year later, in Unreal Tounament, only one of my friends was left, but we still used the old names Omega and Delta, and we had a few favorite servers where we kicked ass on a regular basis.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, how did the DF and Delta become connected you might ask.

Well, about that time I got together with some dudes that happened to also play on my favorite server regularly, and we decided to tag ourselves. Thus the "Dominating Force" was born, (a rather silly name, but we were young and stupid) my name became -=|DF|Delta|=-. Our little association, it could not really be called a clan, had a few servers where we would meet 2 or 3 times a week to kick ass and chew bubblegum, tough we usually forgot to bring any gum, which just made us concentrate more on the kicking part.
That whole thing held together for a good 3 years, which might have been the greatest days of gaming I've ever experienced, but then suddenly one after the other dropped out or left, and in just 4 months the whole thing collapsed. One guy just disappeared, without any sign why, one moved together with his long term girlfriend who could no stand "those brutal games", so he had to stop playing them (lolz... sissy), and so on.
When we finally "disbanded" I did not want to lose the name that I've kept for so long now, and one of the other survivors pointed out that the initials of the nickname I'm using when I upload UT maps, and our "clan tag" are identical, so I could just change the meaning behind the DF. And so I did.

So DFDelta is a combination of a name I've been using in RPGs for a longer time then some of the people on this forum have lived, the first name I've ever used in an online FPS, and the tag of my very first clan.
Join the MWLL wiki today, your contributions will make the wiki a better place.

In Lyran Commonwealth, Atlas scouts you.

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 03:08:28 AM »
might have allready spoken in the other thread, but why not do eet again ;)

Ressk: after the snarkiest shortest bastard ever to grace the pages of a very good book.

Xbox live tag: something to do with kitsunes and descent. thats as far as i remember.
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline blasto

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »
I chose blasto only because I knew how I was going to be playing this game before I started.  Get in peoples faces and blast away.  The o is tacked on to the end because words that end in o sound funny to me.  I use different handles for every game I play so it doesn't actually have any special meaning to me.  It wasn't until recently that someone told me that there is a character named Blasto in the Mass Effect franchise.  I've never played it so it doesn't come from there.

BTW there is a player named Blasto in MWO.  It isn't me.

Offline Darkalloy

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
Mine "Darkalloy" well I'm not quite sure where it came from or even what influenced me for picking it. It just popped into my head one day and it's stuck for 7-ish years as such more often than not I'm the only Darkalloy on what ever I do. When it's not the case, Which happened for the first time around a year ago. I have a synonymous handle, Grimamalgam which is what I am known by on the MW:LL servers. Now if you will excuse me I need to resume hunting down the person with my Handle and show them the error of their ways. <.< >.>

Offline CHHš Deathshade

• Senior Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • "Helpful Atlas"
    • MW:LL
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 04:01:53 PM »
I played MW for years offline as Death before getting online on the Zone with MW4 Mercs. Death from Above was my fav thing to do in the table top game so it kind of stuck for me. I created a name of Deathshade which didn't exist back in those days but now seems to be everywhere.  :o

Shade meaning shadow or shadow of Death. Shades were common in DnD so don't get me started