Author Topic: Improved server Cont. Project?  (Read 4554 times)

Offline ~SJ~Zathrus

• Alphatester
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
Improved server Cont. Project?
« on: August 09, 2012, 07:20:34 PM »
Hello,
I see several requests for help and for better server controls for mwll.
Rconnect was a great server tool in its day.
It worked well and provided most of the variables needed to run a server.

I have found the source code for rconnect. It was released to the public by the author.
It is attached below.

Is there anyone interested in taking this source code to the next level and provide a really cool server utility?

Offline =KoS= Eldragon

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +91/-2
Re: Improved server Cont. Project?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:45:32 PM »
son of a bitch its written in visual basic.

This deserves a .....

Offline ~SJ~Zathrus

• Alphatester
  • MechWarrior
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »
Yes it does have to be run on the same box as the server in order to give full benefit.
Also you are correct that many of the things in rconnect are in mwll, however, what I see people asking for
is a server control utility with an easy to use control panel interface. The utility could be internal or external to mwll I think.

Offline Cygma

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +65/-1
    • 7th Regiment Wolfs Dragoons
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:10:04 PM »
Yes it does have to be run on the same box as the server in order to give full benefit.
Couldn't you tunnel it through ssh to the server to get full access?
<Insert cool content here>

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:01:03 PM »
I'm not going to lie, having something external we could use to manage the bockes would be very handy.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »
Couldn't you tunnel it through ssh to the server to get full access?

It does have a proxy capability but when working via proxy, commands will not execute. Your local client will show the command having completed but the remote client on the server box either never receives or does not process the command. Haven't done too many other things with it though.
My milk shakes!

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »
I celebrate this idea! A simple point and click based control would be freaking awesome!!!
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 06:23:17 AM »
Well I had to install Visual Basic to take a look at the source code. Anyway I'm cooking new things for it (stuff for server admins) that I hope to finish this week, errr or next one, depends if I'm in the mood to program or play. :P

I have this in my plans that it should be possible for the tool to do remotely, once those things in my screenshot are working properly:
  • Picking maps based on the current players;
  • Broadcasting to players what its gonna be the next map;
  • Better randomizer, to go though all maps before repeating the same one.

If the tool is running locally, allowing voting on the next map by the clients seems possible as well, so I'll try to put that in too.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:30:40 AM »
Nice!

Offline ~SJ~Zathrus

• Alphatester
  • MechWarrior
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:24:19 PM »
That sounds interesting.
However the auto-downloader will not work if a map is manually put in the rotation (voted in or manually entered)
So realistically, the only stock maps would be practical for voting in.
Otherwise anyone without the map will get dumped off of the server and have to go find the map in order to play.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 11:55:34 PM »
Ok I'll have to test that, it used to work in Crysis Wars. Like imagine I wanted to change map to one called "Jump_3". The essencial commands to set up that would be "net_mapdownloadurl hxxp://my_url.me/Jump_3.zip", "sv_gamerules ItsGameType", and finally the "map Jump_3" command.

To ignore the levelrotation.xml I would just issue that logic of commands once the round time had reached 0, or close to it, being that the game stays in the final score screen for a while. Eliminating the levelrotation.xml would just keep the server waiting for a map too at the final score screen.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 03:01:17 AM »
Ok I'll have to test that, it used to work in Crysis Wars. Like imagine I wanted to change map to one called "Jump_3". The essencial commands to set up that would be "net_mapdownloadurl hxxp://my_url.me/Jump_3.zip", "sv_gamerules ItsGameType", and finally the "map Jump_3" command.

To ignore the levelrotation.xml I would just issue that logic of commands once the round time had reached 0, or close to it, being that the game stays in the final score screen for a while. Eliminating the levelrotation.xml would just keep the server waiting for a map too at the final score screen.

That should work, similar to how the MWLL Launcher permits map download without having any information regarding the map in the levelrotation.xml
My milk shakes!

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 09:12:52 AM »
I'm getting the timeleft from the Status command. I have to check how it behaves when a match has not started yet for example, due to the lack of players, basically list the possible cases and how to handle it.

However some things like the sudden death for X minutes after the time runs out might not be included in the timeleft the Status command gives, and the game may end sooner if all those players are killed, so yeah its a bummer. Still I don't mind exploring what can be done remotely that way.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 09:24:53 AM by Bruno_007 »
Tools and I:

Offline ~SJ~Zathrus

• Alphatester
  • MechWarrior
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 09:12:25 PM »
Well... I am sure there is an indicator we can key off of.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 06:30:52 AM »
Yeeey! After 3 days of trying to access UI components owned by another thread and giving up, I finally got it to work with a Dispatcher class. In the end, it should save a fraction of RAM that otherwise would be spent in flagging the state of UI components to public variables (what Spoonguard did for most of its code in Rconnect).

But what really saves me is from making more code than needed. :P

Though, I hope its not slower (runtime wise) than with the flagging thing, won't bother checking right now. I'm just happy that those 3 days weren't a waste.
Tools and I: