Author Topic: A BattleTech MOBA  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
A BattleTech MOBA
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:56:49 PM »
Okay, so for once I actually get to put my skills with development to the test. I signed up for 'Video Game Design' for my tech class this year, and I my initial thought was something battletech.

A few weeks later I was playing LoL when 'BattleTech' and 'MOBA' collided in my brain, with similar effect to a LAMS hitting an LT shell.

So, I guess the point of this thread is legality. I know there's a legal shitstorm surrounding anything remotely BattleTech, and if I'm going to, I'd prefer to navigate that shitstorm with a map and compass.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
Re: A BattleTech MOBA
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 04:19:44 AM »
"In the event of shitstorm, pull this lever."
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 04:40:38 AM »
"In the event of shitstorm, pull this lever."

I wish... So much...
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline S7alker117

• Apprentice Dev
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
    • My personal site
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »
I think you could do it without much problems as a Starcraft 2 map/mod. After all, it would "just" one more SC2 map, regardless of how popular it would be. If you achieved success, you could then move to greater things.

Its just an opinion (of someone who had already thought about it).
ASSUMING CONTROL OF THIS FORM

OO_OO

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 06:28:03 AM »
I think you could do it without much problems as a Starcraft 2 map/mod. After all, it would "just" one more SC2 map, regardless of how popular it would be. If you achieved success, you could then move to greater things.

If I am doing this, it's going to be either from scratch, or using a generic open-source game engine.

I'm not paying $60 for a polished Starcraft I with a crappy sequel story, no matter how popular it is.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline S7alker117

• Apprentice Dev
  • Recruit
    • My personal site
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »

If I am doing this, it's going to be either from scratch, or using a generic open-source game engine.

I'm not paying $60 for a polished Starcraft I with a crappy sequel story, no matter how popular it is.

I totally understand your point. But then you might have legal issues regarding the project. Unless you can come up with some kind of agreement with the powers to be. Or if the game/support is different enough for it to have no direct problems.

Regarding all of that, it sounds like a exciting project.

OO_OO

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +165/-14
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 06:14:44 PM »
Own IP is the way forward.
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 11:05:07 PM »
Own IP is the way forward.

How did you guys do it? You have some sort of limited license, right?

Or do you not want to share your arcane powers with humble old me?
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 12:10:34 AM »
We started our game back before mechs were trendy again.

We were granted a non-commercial license from Microsoft back when nobody was doing anything with their IP, so Microsoft saw no harm in letting us use the content, with the firm obligation to never make a buck. Nowadays, if you tried this shit, you'd be stomped out of existence and not granted a license simply due to the fact that Piranha has a full, exclusive, digital distribution license of the MW franchise for X years.

We're having a hard enough time staying under the radar and out of the firing line, and we were here first, AND we have an actual non-commercial license from Microsoft themselves.

You're better off creating your own IP. We've learned this the hard way.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline S7alker117

• Apprentice Dev
  • Recruit
    • My personal site
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 12:41:07 AM »
We started our game back before mechs were trendy again.

We were granted a non-commercial license from Microsoft back when nobody was doing anything with their IP, so Microsoft saw no harm in letting us use the content, with the firm obligation to never make a buck. Nowadays, if you tried this shit, you'd be stomped out of existence and not granted a license simply due to the fact that Piranha has a full, exclusive, digital distribution license of the MW franchise for X years.

We're having a hard enough time staying under the radar and out of the firing line, and we were here first, AND we have an actual non-commercial license from Microsoft themselves.

You're better off creating your own IP. We've learned this the hard way.

What he said.
If you still want to go on with that and need any help, I believe you cna find people around who might help you. I can help you creating unvierse and story, for example. But have in mind that the best way to go, if you wanna do something big time, you'll need to have your own IP.
The idea for the SC map was a way to go around that. Working from scratch will need a lot of more work.

OO_OO

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 02:57:01 AM »
I guess I'll just have to perform an executive takeover of Microsoft to get what I want...
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline phobik2000

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »
Bump for awsum & bcuz I googled about this concept and found this.

Can someone elaborate on own IP vs Piranha has a digital license for MW for X years? Does it mean using the trademarks, or anything related to giant metal robots? How safe/possible is it to design own IP, e.g. my initial idea was redesign MOBA to MW theme, but I don't necessarily need to use any trademarks (and am for the most part ignoramus about any detailed MW universe).

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »
Just find an IP that isn't popular and exploit that instead.

Then you can use hype and hyperbole to claim it's "long awaited return".

All that shit.

Offline phobik2000

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 03:39:29 PM »
Im confuzzled by the "find IP" part, do you mean picking up some existing IP that has been forgotten (with possible legal issues down the road) or as in brainstorming a catchy proprietary IP?

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 09:53:34 PM »
Earthsiege.

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.