Author Topic: A better launcher [Now with mockups]  (Read 4083 times)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
Re: A better launcher [Now with mockups]
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »
We shouldn't become complacent with any aspect of the game. If this dude has the skillset to modernize the launcher and make it looks like other aaa titles I say go for it.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline ELH_MrGray

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-9
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »
I think the current one makes plenty of sense, and anybody who has trouble with the launcher will surely have trouble with the learning curve of the game itself.

"HURRDURR, our game is special! If you are dumb i dont care if you love BT or not, your are not my bro".

I'm not saying that i dont like current launcher but im trying to find a way to make this game a little bit more popular. And if LazDude2012 got some skills and motivation why the hell we cant improve this side of our game?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:08:45 PM by ELH_MrGray »

"Do you know what the sound of 2 UAC/20s is?"
"What's it sound like?"
"RAPERAPERAPERAPE."

Offline cyofee

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +71/-62
    • cyofee
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 12:44:22 PM »
The poll options are silly. I neither think it needs a new launcher, nor do I think the current one has severe user-friendliness issues.
Agreed. IMHO there are better ways to improve the initial experience, such as improving/ditching mwlldownload.com and streamlining the download.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 01:38:32 PM »
Agreed. IMHO there are better ways to improve the initial experience, such as improving/ditching mwlldownload.com and streamlining the download.

Yep, I think that should be priority #1 right now, especially since the main website is still in a broken state.

Offline Rajveer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 06:21:32 PM »
I think the current one makes plenty of sense, and anybody who has trouble with the launcher will surely have trouble with the learning curve of the game itself.
"HURRDURR, our game is special! If you are dumb i dont care if you love BT or not, your are not my bro".

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what I said. Nice summary.

The poll options are silly. I neither think it needs a new launcher, nor do I think the current one has severe user-friendliness issues.

Agreed. Nice way to force us to say that the current one has "user-friendliness" issues, OP. In fact, I find the MWLL launcher easier to use than all those other launchers Gray posted.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 06:28:27 PM by =CJW= Rajveer »

Offline cyofee

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +71/-62
    • cyofee
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 07:01:20 PM »
You did have a good point, however, in that installing the game is decidedly not easy. The game is not easy to start playing and not easy to start enjoying. It is indeed the best MW game there is, but I bet a lot of people don't get to the point where they can see that. Assuming the devs want more players than the current band of neckbeards, they have to make the game more user friendly, even if that means alienating the neckbeards.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:27:50 PM by cyofee »

Offline Mattk50

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 10:58:56 PM »
Shit poll btw

Offline lordgrog

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-892
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 02:52:16 AM »
Eh, no biggie. The launcher could be a bit more attractive, and the layout's not so great. But everything IS there, and it works. Also, don't think the posted examples are much of an improvement, so voted option 2.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 03:20:37 AM »

I'm not saying that i dont like current launcher but im trying to find a way to make this game a little bit more popular. And if LazDude2012 got some skills and motivation why the hell we cant improve this side of our game?

Explain to me how a different launcher would make the mod more popular.  I R CONFUZD.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Byz

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-1
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 05:39:04 AM »
I remember when there was no launcher.  Quit yer bithcin', it's fine.   :)

EDIT: I would have voted, if your poll wasn't so obviously biased in it's wording.  There is nothing difficult about the current launcher, and the actionmapper is integrated. ::)

That.
Old Guy

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »
I think the current one is fine though some in game graphics  could help make it look spiffy.
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.