Author Topic: Clan light mechs  (Read 13126 times)

Offline =CJW= Zweistein000 (W)

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +222/-72
  • Trial of position ended; Rank: Warrior
    • Urbie Defense By (TLL)CapperDeluxe
Re: Clan light mechs
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 12:11:51 AM »
Lt. gauss is IS tech and oro is clan, so you will never see that. The cheapest oro could possibly go is probably Lbx-10 (large weapon in an assault slot), lbx 5 (medium weapon in a large slot), 2x MG, max armor and like 10-20 free tones. That oro would probably be so cheap it would become a starting asset, but would be pretty useless when you would reach warrior rank :P
Vote Bill for multidimentional sex warlock 2013.

Quote from: Bin Fish link=http://cjw.dyndns.biz/forum/profile.php?10,12
Don't sniff anything Bill gives you and never find yourself alone with HAARP

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-2
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 12:30:43 AM »
The Oro is one of those things that make more sense with puretech in mind. It carries some pretty lolzy firepower and can be great direct fire support, but nobody loves it :'(

Offline Terragent

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +44/-0
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 01:25:12 AM »
Mostly because it's as slow and clunky with the Demo but with less guns and way less armour. It can't go toe-to-toe with heavies and assaults without taking on a lot more risk, and consequently most players will opt for a more mobile option in its price bracket.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2012, 01:59:36 AM »
Oro C destroys early games.
Also, the Oro E is a good choice for direct artillery, a poor mans morrigu if you wish, as it has much more armor than the other variants.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline blasto

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2012, 02:31:32 AM »
Keep in mind that the Oro is a good 20 tons lighter than any other tank in the game.

Demolisher - 80 tons
Partisan - 80 tons
Morrigu - 80 tons
Huit - 85 tons
Oro - 60 tons

Offline LeopardEnthusiast

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-1
  • the worst mechwarrior you'll ever meet
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2012, 04:15:52 AM »
Keep in mind that the Oro is a good 20 tons lighter than any other tank in the game.

Demolisher - 80 tons
Partisan - 80 tons
Morrigu - 80 tons
Huit - 85 tons
Oro - 60 tons
Well, not if you count the Chevalier, which is a 35-ton tank.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2012, 05:54:47 AM »
I was under the impression it was more of an armoured scout vehicle, than a tank as such.

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »
It can't go toe-to-toe with heavies and assaults without taking on a lot more risk, and consequently most players will opt for a more mobile option in its price bracket.
If the map is close-quarters oriented (all city maps basically), I dare you to find an asset that would rival the usefulness of Oro C ::) Even on large maps, TC mode means that CLBX20+CLBX10 at Warrior/Sergeant rank is highly competitive when capping/holding bases.

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-2
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2012, 01:45:48 PM »
I've yet to be disappointed by the Oro in game, but looking at it from a numbers standpoint, it does seem underwhelming. It's not too fast, it's not too well armored, it's not that cheap. I still think the firepower it mounts is pretty respectable, with the main guns often having long ranges. With the UAC changes, the B might even gain comparable DPS to the Demo Prime, while keeping the CERLBL at longer ranges, though it's guaranteed to have heat issues. Speaking of changes, though, I'm sure every asset mounting the new Ultra and normal Autocannons was reevaluated after the changes.

I think a big reason it plays pretty well, is that people don't care too much for it. They see an Oro, and it's just not their highest priority if there are other targets. Plus, it has a pretty small and compact, brick on treads model. If you see a Demolisher, by comparison, you panic. Everyone is suddenly dedicated to cracking it open, while trying to run away and kite it.

Maybe the Oro could use a small speed, or armor increase, or have nothing change but lower its chassis price by a bit. Some small generic buff basically, and it'll be beyond boss.

Offline Terragent

• Lance Captain
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2012, 04:11:15 PM »
The Oro C has good bang for its buck, but once you start coming up against heavies and assaults (and Demos...) it loses its usefulness; the Demolisher, by contrast, dominates its niche all the way to the endgame. The more expensive Oro platforms are either sniper configs or close-quarters ones that are priced out of usefulness (because in mixtech you might as well get a demo, and in puretech you should be lolclan and running around in stormcrows and lanners at that point).

The UAC changes will indeed be interesting; do the new UAC10/20 have shell drop, or are they now like the 2 and 5-rated autocannons and the LBX series, with shots going directly forward regardless of distance? I haven't been able to get a proper look at them being used in the video. If they get to ignore gravity like the lighter ACs, then they'll be a lot easier to use in conjunction with lasers, as you'll only have to lead in one axis, which should make snapping your aim back for the laser shot a lot more straightforward.

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
It's still apples and oranges comparison. It's not supposed to go against heavies and assaults, but against ~55k assets. As for Demo, it is just as vulnerable if it's caught in the open on maps like DeathValley, only it's even slower than Oro.

Yes, the UAC20 Stormcrow can rip a new one to anything, but is priced accordingly, not at 51k.

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2012, 06:37:43 PM »
The more expensive Oro platforms are either sniper configs or close-quarters ones that are priced out of usefulness (because in mixtech you might as well get a demo, and in puretech you should be lolclan and running around in stormcrows and lanners at that point).

I tend to ignore the Oro because of this. I prefer to keep my enemies at an arm's length and by the time I'd reach the Oro variants (A and E) that fit my playing style, I can afford the more nimble Puma Prime or the even more mobile and better armored Shadow Cat. For brawling for almost same or less c-bills you can get the Shadow Cat. Or some IS meds and heavies. So unless someone's really into tanks, I don't think he'll pick the Oro.

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »
I absolutely love the Oro to death. its got a good speed, armor that keeps you out of trouble, and multipurpose weapons.

the 2x ppc one is bawse no matter what.

the prime is a rapetrain in the right circumstances.

the UAC20 is a great fire support.

and the HLL/GAUSS is another excellent fire support vehicle.

note i never say assault, or attack... thats the demo's job :P

EDIT: the oro is also responsible for that one time i was driving a Loki and i heard the BWAM noise of a LBX impact. the response was "OH F**K RUN RUN RUN RUN!!"
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline C.Falcon

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-1
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2012, 09:14:50 PM »
Wow cant believe i got everyone talking about the Oro! Hopefully a dev or two wil stop on by...
so i feel like an ubernoob for suggesting a lt gauss on clan tech. For the record i am a noob here (got the game at 5.4 so i understand the puretech balance) and even battletech in general (a little MW3 offline) so i tend to sound like a noob...

Anyway i think my problem is i cant comprehend a "sniper tank" it just sounds contradictary. Really it's that the urban/city maps are so few in number that the oro always feels out of place. A fire support tank is useless without something stronger to support (hide behind).
Id like to see a budget brawler variant besides than the mini-beatstick.

Offline Terragent

• Lance Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2013, 12:36:24 AM »
The problem there is that there are almost no seriously cheap weapons other than LBX right now, and since the Oro has very little room for guns (no more than two big guns and two tiny ones), there isn't much that fits. If the weapon mounts permit you could perhaps get a 2xcUAC10 variant, but as things stand that'd be pretty underwhelming in the firepower department, even if you were able to fit medium lasers in the support weapon mounts (which you may well not be able to).