Author Topic: MWLL Playground: Wednesday Nov 14th / 7:00 p.m. UTC+0 (UK Time)  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-23
MWLL Playground: Wednesday Nov 14th / 7:00 p.m. UTC+0 (UK Time)
« on: November 12, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »
"Playground" is the code word for any further events like this started by me (and possibly by others, it's just so these things have a common name and people know what to look for when they search the forums).

Planned date is coming Wednesday November 14th at 7:00 p.m. UTC+0 / GMT+0 (so 7 p.m. UK Time, 20:00 in Germany)

How to do it: Just join Funbocks Alpha or Beta at this time. A good rule of thumb is to join the other server if one is above 16 players.

Once you have joined and the server is still fairly empty, just stay on the server! Others will follow shortly, so just alt-tab for a few minutes and do something else while the server fills.

In the time until the event, all player are encouraged to advertise it whenever they play MWLL! The more the merrier ;)

Please post here in this thread if you know you will participate and on which days. I will update the list every day.

Teamspeak is optional but encouraged:

Outreach, ts7.gameservers.com:9196 no password
http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,14352.0.html

Once connected to Outreach, scroll all the way down to the "Bulldog" channel, you should see some of us in there :)

If no one needs cash, just check the scoreboard and give it to those pilots who have the lowest scores and/or worst Kill/Death ratios. This helps inexperienced pilots get better mechs instead of being stuck in Ravens the whole match ;)

Pilot roster WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 14th:

• Cherno
  • Spooky
  • okaolias
  • Ivaan
  • Wasted Almond

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-37
  • my little pwny
Re: MWLL Playground: Wednesday Nov 14th / 7:00 p.m. UTC+0 (UK Time)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »
I'll likely be there.

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »
Very good!

Also, I'd really like to see something like this being done for our American players, so feel free to make a seperate thread! :)

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:18:14 PM »
Can't make it, got the night shift on wednesday. :(

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-2
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 11:47:29 PM »
I'll probably make it since I have no life and all.

Offline [IPA] Taltos

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-1
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »
not this time. saturday looks better (if there's a playground then)

Offline Ivaan

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +44/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »
I'll be there probably.

Offline Wasted Almond

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »
I'll be there.

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »
Stomps. Stomps everywhere.

I know I didn't play too much tonight, so I can't say I have the full picture, but as far as the games I played were concerned, they were so one-sided, I... Just didn't want to play much tonight.

It feels like a changing of the guard. A lot of more or less clueless newbies, some regulars and very few veterans. Whoever had the vets had the game. That or I'm being too sensitive. I've had more conversations about population, puretech balance and player skill than I'd like, in the past few days.

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 11:47:04 PM »
I agree, it was too stompy despite my best efforts. I regularly order the winning team to not camp the enemy's base and even pul back and let them have a forward spawn, but it's just not happening. Often I just buy a cheap meach and do a suicide run just to keep spirits up. That being said, of the three games I played, one was won by the other team and one was a very close victory. Sometimes we swtiched teams, but often it doesn't matter much if the ticket difference is over 200.

We will try to do better next time :)

Edit: The fact that it was a puretech server might also have had something to do with it.

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »
Yup. This is still a new thing, meaning trial and error, and thus far it's more than succeeded at its primary goal of getting enough people together to play meaningful games instead of 4v4.

It might be a tad too late when there is already a 200 ticket difference. Letting the difference grow and then having the top players switch teams simultaneously as an afterthought just changes who gets stomped. Still, it's a pain doing the whole player balancing thing proactively and easier said than done.

It seems that with puretech close games are still close, but when there's a visible difference, it easier to turn into a stomp. Just a general observation without getting into specifics about balance.

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 12:35:37 AM »
I would be interested in reviving the Sandhurst Training Academy, but it takes a cadre of capable instructors and a private server, otherwise it'll just fill up with random players :D

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
Yup. This is still a new thing, meaning trial and error, and thus far it's more than succeeded at its primary goal of getting enough people together to play meaningful games instead of 4v4.

It might be a tad too late when there is already a 200 ticket difference. Letting the difference grow and then having the top players switch teams simultaneously as an afterthought just changes who gets stomped. Still, it's a pain doing the whole player balancing thing proactively and easier said than done.

It seems that with puretech close games are still close, but when there's a visible difference, it easier to turn into a stomp. Just a general observation without getting into specifics about balance.

I think its more difficult to recover in recent puretech because both sides lack some of the "filler" units: Clans lack Demo as a cheap and powerful defensive unit. Not to mention clans disadvantage at gamestrart. IS got problems if the clan get enough Stormcrows to cap faster. IS heavys are to slow to catch a stromcrow, IS meds are not so powerful or nimble (in case of the bushi). And forward bases don't spawn heavys.

Offline Wasted Almond

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »
Yesterday's games were pretty good, at least the match in zoetemeer (city with sandstorm right?). Really nice how
the dynamics changed (could have been "the big three" changing teams ::)) during the match, and how close it was.

+ for cherno for coming up with the idea of "organized" pubbing :P