Author Topic: Community Mapping Team  (Read 8759 times)

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +165/-14
  • Fun now allowed
Community Mapping Team
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »
So as I was saying ins the Mwo thread, with official support being withdrawn for further content updates, it comes down to the community to continue to breathe life into the game.

Maps are one of things you guys have gotten pretty good at, so id like to make a suggestion. If any ex devs or custom mappers out there are interested, it would be awesome if we could get together to create several top quality maps for release. These maps im hoping would be of comparable quality to maps which have made it into the official build.

With me not having worked on the project since August, I was unaware of the development of an assault gamemode.  A collective effort to develop this up would be sweet if done correctly.

The amount of detail work im hoping we will create is something which will rival death valley, which took about six of us almost a year to get looking how it does now.

Im busy trying to contact some of the other mapping devs to see what they think of the idea. The idea is for large scale tc maps, sa maps, and development of assault gamemode maps.

***UPDATE***

It seems like we have at least enough people to consider setting up some kind of infrastructure.

AncientDemise has kindly set up an Enjin site where we can meet to discuss individual projects and not clutter up the MWLL boards.

It can be found here http://mwllmaps.enjin.com/

The more mappers we get the merrier.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:32:52 PM by Deathbane »
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
Re: Community Mapping Team
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:42:54 PM »
Interested.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 07:17:22 PM »
Sweet :P
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

Offline CGB [Ancient Demise]

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • Clan Ghost Bear
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 01:47:02 AM »
Oh man you beat me to it. I had mentioned the same thing a few times on the dev forums and have even started making an enjin site for it too. (I'd post the link but its not ready yet)

I am aiming to rally all community and remaining dev mappers under a community banner to share mapping knowledge and make vast improvements to the quality of community released maps. Sort of like the mapping forums but with more cry files and less crying. I will make a post in the community mappers forum with more details in the following week.

I'm sending you a PM.

"Most discipline is hidden discipline, designed not to liberate but to limit. Do not ask 'Why.' Be cautious with 'How.' 'Why' leads inexorably to paradox. 'How' traps you in a universe of cause and effect. Both deny the infinite."
---The Apocrypha of Arrakis; Frank Herbert, Heretics of Dune

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 02:08:58 AM »
I would be down with helping out.  I haven't actually released any of the maps that I have worked on over the years, but someday I will.  Most of the problems I have had are simply not getting consistent answers on how to do things.  I also think the Dropship idea was mine, but didn't think the dev team was going to work on new game modes.  Oh well, I guess that's what I get for my ignorance, and lack of time and drive to finish what I started in this regard.

Would be great to have a dedicated team to talk each other through ideas to fruition.  I feel I have a decent working knowledge of the basics of creating maps for LL, it's just when you get that one 'great' idea that you know is possible, just not how to get it right. 

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 04:31:11 PM »
Thats for the pm Ancient Demise, ive sent you several back. Looking forward to a response.

Sweet Alfalphacat, we will need all the help we can get. Hopefully we can try some of those ideas out and see if they work in practice :D

Im interested to see how your dropship idea works for an assault map, if we can get them working.

Updated first post.s

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »
I guess I'll toss my hat into the ring here.
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »
I understand the compulsion to work a project like this on a different forum but I wonder at the wisdom of this.  If this is going to be one of the few, if not the only, areas of development in MWLL going forward then don't we want forum grazers to see that the mod is still being actively developed in order to maintain a baseline level of interest? The best thing we as mappers can do second to producing quality maps is to be entirely overt and obvious with the effort being made in this area.    The obvious downsides are that non-mappers would be free to chime in and be disruptive to the process and that we would have limited control over the forums but at least we would have an audience when/if these maps get finished.

On a different subject, it would be nice too if folks who have lead on map design before could set up a work flow for us.  I've never done anything like this on a group level but understand that maps are comprised of many different parts and will require some division and then merging of labor.  Skycard, Minimap, Sound, Loading screen, terrain, color map, height map, solids, color palette, particles, base placement/design, flowgraphs, temperature adjustments, capture zone, combat flow, choke points, etc.  All of this needs to be organized.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:43:30 PM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »
I understand the compulsion to work a project like this on a different forum but I wonder at the wisdom of this.  If this is going to be one of the few, if not the only, areas of development in MWLL going forward then don't we want forum grazers to see that the mod is still being actively developed in order to maintain a baseline level of interest? The best thing we as mappers can do second to producing quality maps is to be entirely overt and obvious with the effort being made in this area.    The obvious downsides are that non-mappers would be free to chime in and be disruptive to the process and that we would have limited control over the forums but at least we would have an audience when/if these maps get finished.

On a different subject, it would be nice to if folks who have lead on map design before could set up a work flow for us.  I've never done anything like this on a group level but

Excellent points, i agree an active discussion here helps give everyone a sense the mod is still very much active and new content is still flowing

I'm 101% behind this idea, and will do my utmost to make sure its not disrupted
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
This seems like the best place to put a feature request idea for a map, as I have nothing in the way of skills to do it myself.

Have an air capture point that's floor 1200m and goes up to 1500m (or whatever the ceiling is).

For added style, have the aero zone extend well out beyond where the battlemechs can get to, but have a hole in the capture space above the ground map.

Here's some bad ascii art:
|aaaGGGaaa|
|aaaaaaaaZ|
|aaaaaaaZZ|

a = aero cap zone
G = ground map, battlemechs and armor can't actually get out of this area
X = not a part of the cap zone, one of the air bases
Z = not a part of the cap zone, the other air base

Aero's diverting their attention to attack ground units are not contributing to controlling the air cap point.  Also, due to the relatively thin capture point being at the top of the air zone, engaging in almost any sort of air v air combat will likely result in one or both of the units leaving the air cap space due to taking evasive action.

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Clan Ghost Bear
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 11:23:23 PM »
I believe that a foothold here needs to be maintained along the lines of current map thread updates, but all the behind the scenes and organizational stuff I feel needs to be done elsewhere.

Updates on what our plan is, what maps are being tackled, discussions about the new game modes, and TC_"MAP" threads WILL remain here.
All the "I'm doing this, you do that" "this is how you..." "this is what I think we should work on next..." "I have an idea for ____ but I'm not sure how to do it.." "Here is the cry file for ____ can you do ___ on it?" "Hey I won't be available for the next ___ days" "What do you think about ___ as a mapper" and internal bickering should probably be kept out of plain sight. I feel enjin (since I already use it for CGB) is a strong platform to do all that and offers some direct control and organizational tools that I do not think we have here. Not that I don't trust you guys (or you, Anastasius), but that is my view on it.
To be blunt, I don't think this stuff should be in a place for everyone and their mothers to read.

That said, anyone who joins as a mapper will be able to see this stuff since they will be a part of it. There won't be 'super secret admin' stuff going on.

I will say that we have some maps that former devs have played around with but have not finished that will be released in the near future (more info on this to come). I also want to overhaul most (if not all) previously released community maps and get them up to higher standards with respect to playability and looks.

The overall logistics have yet to be decided on because I have not been online the same time Deathbane is (yet).

"Most discipline is hidden discipline, designed not to liberate but to limit. Do not ask 'Why.' Be cautious with 'How.' 'Why' leads inexorably to paradox. 'How' traps you in a universe of cause and effect. Both deny the infinite."

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 08:00:10 PM »
Just to let anyone who is on the team know, Ill be online on IRC on this coming Saturday night in the main #mwll channel active in the chat bar at the top.

Il be online from about 6pm GMT onwards, if you need to contact me for whatever reason thats the best bet over the few coming days. Itd be good if anyone off the mapping team could turn up so we can get this organised up.

Ill try also to get on the Enjin chat when possible.

Ive approved several new mappers onto the site. As far as the concerns go, dont worry. I think the idea  as demise said is we will try and release proper updates about the state of what we are working on here and allow for public discussion as well. Enjin is going to be used simply for the teams organisation which is best kept organised for real progress to made.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 12:08:45 AM »
Just a note, as I was a bit confused here myself.  Since our unit uses Enjin for our forums, I technically didn't need to register, just signed in with my existing account.  After signing in on, on the homepage, on the left hand side there is a 'join website' button.  Click that and wait for approval, I guess. 

I'll try to hop on Saturday, but have been busy with another project and will likely not be on 'til late night, as I work that night.  This is a great idea, and it is a shame no one came up with it sooner.  The mapping community has always been a bit too insulated for my tastes in the past, working together should produce some high quality and interesting maps.   :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 01:11:51 AM »
Do not know how to map, would potentially learn.

Have ideas and scrotum.

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Clan Ghost Bear
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 01:15:19 AM »
I changed the "Join" button on the top menu (fourth from the left) to say "Apply to team" to hopefully eliminate confusion. Click here and submit an application if you want on the team, or simply join the website if you want to be in the community but not involved. The applications will help us see what you are and are not good with wrt mapping.

I will begin assessment of current maps (community and unfinished) soon. Hopefully tomorrow.

Scrotums are good. Ideas usually better, unless they come out of said scrotum. Join up and we can get you some tutorials and cry files to play around with (until we have a better direction  :P )