Author Topic: Improving the free reticle  (Read 2573 times)

Offline =CJW= Zweistein000 (W)

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +222/-72
  • Trial of position ended; Rank: Warrior
    • Urbie Defense By (TLL)CapperDeluxe
Improving the free reticle
« on: February 03, 2013, 09:39:54 PM »
First off let me say that the free reticle is a damn fine piece of work and I'm loving every second of it, but I feel there is room for improvement. I have several things in mind.

1st. Seeing that development of new features has stopped you (remaining) guys have much more time to take a look at zooming in when in free reticle mode, the ideal situation would be that the zoom wouldn't snap to the middle. I know it's not in the current build because it produced way too many bugs and it couldn't made it onto 0.7.0, but now that it is in it is essentially a bug fix/optimization and thus shouldn't cause any legal trouble.

2nd. When reticle "hits" the edge what happens is your torso starts moving to that side often throwing off your aim. Ideally what should happen is either your torso shouldn't move to that side until you have have moved your mouse further and should start decelerating (due to torso inertia) once you have stopped moving your mouse, or the game should try to center your torso circle edge to the reticle. This way your aim wouldn't be thrown off (since your torso wont move or will simply center to reticle) and you won't find your self readjusting your torso in the heat of battle.

3rd. The promode - Simply add the ability to bind torso movement on keyboard keys and not just analog input (like moving your mouse X axis or mouse wheel or joystick, etc.) I can't use that mode since I have no additional devices that enable the selected input.

4th. Currently when your reticle moves beyond the torso circle you are still allowed to fore those weapons. What this means is that often, if you have form torso and arms grouped in the same group,  you will fire all our weapons and thus miss and generate unnecessary heat with your torso weapons. I suggest that weapons that cannot fire at your reticle be turned off, that way mistakes like firing all your HSL on solitaire and hitting with only 2 won't happen since that third laser will be turned off. This will also enable you to remove/add an option to hide the torso circle since there will be no worries that you might fore with the wrong weapon.

Edit: Lol joysith (typo) - joy the sith side.
Vote Bill for multidimentional sex warlock 2013.

Quote from: Bin Fish link=http://cjw.dyndns.biz/forum/profile.php?10,12
Don't sniff anything Bill gives you and never find yourself alone with HAARP

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
Re: Improving the free reticle
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 04:52:58 AM »
I like all these ideas. While I've loved the free reticule, it is obviously an unfinished thing. I'm hoping that whoever is left will be able to spit-shine it to relative perfection.

I must add that when zoomed in, the reticule should continue to autocenter until it is in the *center* of the screen, or not autocenter at all.

I wonder if I could buy a wiimote and an IR sensor and use that with a macro for this game... That would be awesome.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 04:56:31 AM »
I don't notice the autocenter on zoom too much anymore. What I do notice though is how low the sensitivity is when zoomed, its really hard to make snap shots at full zoom.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 12:35:05 PM »
What I do notice though is how low the sensitivity is when zoomed, its really hard to make snap shots at full zoom.

I noticed this too and (at least for me) it's a big problem. I miss a lot of shots lately, especially while poptarting, because I can't move the crosshair fast enough. It's really irritating.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »
I don't notice the autocenter on zoom too much anymore. What I do notice though is how low the sensitivity is when zoomed, its really hard to make snap shots at full zoom.

Yeah same here. With full zoom level (E-Optics), the free reticle mouse sensitivity is extremely low. Every zoom level reduces the mouse sensitivity by a certain factor (for the locked mode), but it seems that there is another factor for the sensitivity of the free reticle and may be that one is applied at each zoom level as well, thus reducing the overall sensitivity dramatically.

...and should start decelerating (due to torso inertia)

Actual or noticeable torso inertia doesn't really exist, the torso can speed up to full speed and slow down to a stop in a matter of milliseconds.

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 02:09:46 PM »
I still use free reticule, locked reticule makes me vomit with torso inertia on.

But seriously, nobody notices how the torso twitches when you have the free reticule hanging at the edge of the torso fire circle? It makes aiming at mid-range rather annoying.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »
1st. Seeing that development of new features has stopped you (remaining) guys have much more time to take a look at zooming in when in free reticle mode, the ideal situation would be that the zoom wouldn't snap to the middle. I know it's not in the current build because it produced way too many bugs and it couldn't made it onto 0.7.0, but now that it is in it is essentially a bug fix/optimization and thus shouldn't cause any legal trouble.
Already planned on doing so. Camera movement has been taken out for 0.7.1 eniterly as it caused to many issues.

2nd. When reticle "hits" the edge what happens is your torso starts moving to that side often throwing off your aim. Ideally what should happen is either your torso shouldn't move to that side until you have have moved your mouse further and should start decelerating (due to torso inertia) once you have stopped moving your mouse, or the game should try to center your torso circle edge to the reticle. This way your aim wouldn't be thrown off (since your torso wont move or will simply center to reticle) and you won't find your self readjusting your torso in the heat of battle.
This should already have improved with 0.7.1

3rd. The promode - Simply add the ability to bind torso movement on keyboard keys and not just analog input (like moving your mouse X axis or mouse wheel or joystick, etc.) I can't use that mode since I have no additional devices that enable the selected input.
Did you already try to bind it to a key? But that should be rather easy to do and is a good idea.

4th. Currently when your reticle moves beyond the torso circle you are still allowed to fore those weapons. What this means is that often, if you have form torso and arms grouped in the same group,  you will fire all our weapons and thus miss and generate unnecessary heat with your torso weapons. I suggest that weapons that cannot fire at your reticle be turned off, that way mistakes like firing all your HSL on solitaire and hitting with only 2 won't happen since that third laser will be turned off. This will also enable you to remove/add an option to hide the torso circle since there will be no worries that you might fore with the wrong weapon.
In the original imiplementation we actually turned of the weapons that couldn't fire. But it caused severe issues with contiously firing weapons like the RACs or ACs. In favor of these weapons this feature has been removed, because otherwise it would have been to hard to use them.
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline =CJW= Zweistein000 (W)

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +222/-72
  • Trial of position ended; Rank: Warrior
    • Urbie Defense By (TLL)CapperDeluxe
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 07:38:06 AM »
This should already have improved with 0.7.1

It has, but it sill works like this and it still throws off your aim. The torso shouldn't move when mouse is on the edge unless you push it in that direction.

Did you already try to bind it to a key? But that should be rather easy to do and is a good idea.

No I didn't try, because the command is for general torso movement, not move torso in left/right/up/down direction.

In the original imiplementation we actually turned of the weapons that couldn't fire. But it caused severe issues with contiously firing weapons like the RACs or ACs. In favor of these weapons this feature has been removed, because otherwise it would have been to hard to use them.

Ahh.. You're right, the RAC spin-up time. Ok, fair one, this one isn't that critical anyway.
Vote Bill for multidimentional sex warlock 2013.

Quote from: Bin Fish link=http://cjw.dyndns.biz/forum/profile.php?10,12
Don't sniff anything Bill gives you and never find yourself alone with HAARP