Author Topic: Increase Heat on Small X-Pulse Lasers  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
Increase Heat on Small X-Pulse Lasers
« on: February 09, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
To be sure, large pulse lasers needed a buff. They overheated your mech way too easily, even on dedicated energy boats like the awesome. Mediums I would argue needed this buff less, but I'm not complaining.

Here is the dilemma. In pre-0.7 small x-pulse lasers were fine. They almost never caused me to overheat. The Mauler E from 0.6.1 had 4 of these things and 0 heatsinks yet it could sustain fire for a very long time. Sure the new heat system might make them a little more punishing except that it doesn't, because the heat they produce was reduced for 0.7. The SXPL harasser can sustain fire for nearly 40 seconds before having to use coolant meaning it is a DPS monster. I've seen it take out Daishis, several in fact. It can keep up a higher DPS than most mechs all because it doesn't overheat much.
Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
Re: Increase Heat on Small X-Pulse Lasers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:47:16 PM »
Dunno what you talkin about Kentax... their heat was doubled from 0.6.1 to 0.7... From 0.9 heat per tick to 1.8 heat.
I think their crazy DPS is the problem... SXPL does 226 damage per second, MXPL does 305... but for less than half the heat (used to be a fourth of the heat).
Did the sparkle exist in 0.6.1? That might be why we never really noticed how god damn broken they are.
We hoped their increased heat would keep them in check.. but it seems their crazy damage is just too high even if we had them overheat fairly quickly.

Not sure what to tell you... its pretty annoying yeah. But I have no idea about the status of any further "hotfixes" including any balance changes.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:22:04 PM »
There is also another issue with XPLs in general that might contribute to the broken-ness in this case. I have PM'ed Defender about it back in June 2012, but I haven't checked whether it's still an issue in 0.7.

Offline ELH_MrGray

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-9
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 10:25:31 PM »
Dunno what you talkin about Kentax... their heat was doubled from 0.6.1 to 0.7... From 0.9 heat per tick to 1.8 heat.
I think their crazy DPS is the problem... SXPL does 226 damage per second, MXPL does 305... but for less than half the heat (used to be a fourth of the heat).

wooot? Were you got those crazy numbers? It was 85 and 122 in 0.6.1 and damage was not changed for 0.7. And yes, damage is pretty good, very close to LBL (85 vs 92).

"Do you know what the sound of 2 UAC/20s is?"
"What's it sound like?"
"RAPERAPERAPERAPE."

Offline Ch3m1kal

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +59/-2
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 10:46:17 PM »
Not sure if the SXPL needs a nerf, but the Sparkle is pretty ridiculous.
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 11:04:56 PM »
SXPLs have their own cost in that you must stay facing the target the whole time, not turning your torso to spread damage etc.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 12:50:06 AM »
wooot? Were you got those crazy numbers? It was 85 and 122 in 0.6.1 and damage was not changed for 0.7. And yes, damage is pretty good, very close to LBL (85 vs 92).

XML states that burst cooldown is 0.075? How do Xpulses fire then?
Says there is 1 shot per burst and the burst cooldown is 0.075 which put into a second is 13 times a second (which sounds like much) and the damage is 17.
What is the true rate of fire then? Is it affected by the tick rate?
How does 0.075 translate into 5 shots per second? O.o

Though on second thought, 5 seconds would be a Gauss rifle shot... and that doesn't sound right, meh whatevs. So done with figuring all that crap out. :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:06:49 AM by xInVicTuSx »
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 05:20:03 AM »
- SBL, MBL, ERSBL, ERMBL, SPL, MPL, SXPL, CERSBL, CERMBL, CSPL, CHSL heat increased;
- LXPL heat decreased;

Looks like I misread the patch notes, though I could swear that when I read it that all of the X-Pulse Lasers had gotten heat reductions instead of increases.

Either way, 6 SXPLs is rather OP and the 4 SXPLs on the Mauler never seemed OP so I'm guessing it is the fact that the harasser can keep rotating constantly (just like the Raven) to take full advantage of the DPS. Not sure what to do to fix this, but if you can something should be done. Just not sure what.
Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-2
  • [CGB] Pilots Captured Long Toms
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 05:52:37 AM »
SXPLs have their own cost in that you must stay facing the target the whole time, not turning your torso to spread damage etc.

Unless you're in a vehicle, in which case your turret is always exposed, but you can spin around like a top to spread damage.

Offline Cindercat

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-1
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 06:31:55 AM »
Not sure if the SXPL needs a nerf, but the Sparkle is pretty ridiculous.

If it's OP on a harasser than it's pretty likely to be OP on just about anything.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 08:14:46 AM »
I disagree. Everything has the pods, so a limited number of SXPL would be able to mounted no matter what chassis, and increasing tonnage allowing for more sinks eventually lets other weapons overtake it just because of the amount of tonnage and space you can dedicate. Would you be more scared of a 16 SXPL Fatnir, or a quad UAC20 Fatnir?

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 08:33:57 AM »
The Sparkle is a good asset, and it don't overheat fast, but it could only stay a short time on target to use this firepower. As soon as it gets attention of the enemy, it should go. But Sparkie is a pain if you are occupied with other things and it could sit there lazy, lazing your back off.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »
Wait what's mounting loads of sxpl?

I remember asking for such an asset a while ago, my prenix, s turgid.

Offline =KoS= Finalizer

• The bomb diggity diggity
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +61/-0
  • ORE WA BATTLEMECH
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 11:41:35 AM »
"Sparkle", a new Harasser. Six small x-pulse laser goodness.

Basic idea was that it can rip shit up pretty quickly provided it can look at something long enough, but the light armor of the Harasser combined with how such a setup is so prone to losing damage from shake (Not hard to cause to a hovercraft, on top of that) makes it easy to deal with if done properly; if he can wail away ignored (poke enemies who are preoccupied with other allies), then it can be pretty nasty.

That was sort of the idea anyway. Might have turned out to be a bit too much for some players, though I've personally never had a problem scaring them off. If I'm at the point where I'm being overwhelmed by a Sparkle & something else, it's usually a situation I would've died in regardless if it were that Harasser or something else anyway.

Superior commit notes for superior developers

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
And don't forget the Chimera one :). I quite like that one.