Author Topic: Dedicated 0.6.1 server with mapvoting online  (Read 2470 times)

Offline [n0rl] Django

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
Dedicated 0.6.1 server with mapvoting online
« on: February 11, 2013, 02:52:02 AM »
Hi all!

I didn't play much MWLL since the new patch came out although i regularly had itchy fingers. The reasons are numerous and i wouldn't go into detail on this but in short 0.7 ruined the game for me. Although i don't like many of the new features i surely would have adapted to them since the game is just so übergut that you hardly could ruin it solely with the design choices made. It simply became unplayable for me because of yet another drop in fps which left me and my apparently underpowered pc at an average combat fps between 10 and 15. And nope that ain't fun no more!

Since the game once ran well on my computer (between 20 and 30 fps on most maps in 0.6.1) i decided to set up a pre-0.7 server at home on my old machine. I am quite a noob in server administration so don't expect too much (and please feel free to give advice underneath), but it's the only way i can go on enjoying this AAA-title in foreseeable future. I also am using Str1k3rs Rconnect mod in order to enable the imho overdue mapvoting option. For now I am planning to run the server 24h/d during the week with daily restarts and sometimes on weekends. If somebody is willing to do some testing with me (not tested shit yet), I'll most likely be online during European late-evening hours, roughly between 22 PM and 2 AM UTC.

I'd like to point out that this is not an attempt to split the remaining MWLL-community but simply an effort to keep this game alive for me and those who'd rather choose to quit the mod than play it in 0.7.

Regards, Django
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:04:38 AM by [n0rl] Django »

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
Re: Dedicated 0.6.1 server with mapvoting online
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 03:17:21 AM »
Even if I wanted to help out, I deleted the files of my 0.6.1 version. Overclocking isn't and option for you, to improve your FPS?

Anyway, keep me updated on the map management system, if its working well for you. It may have its quirks.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline [n0rl] Django

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 12:53:44 AM »
Hmm.. overclocking might be a last option before abandoning the mod completely (or at least until the next hardware-update arrives in the year 2020 :'(). I'd been thinking about OC already after 0.6 came out, but playing around with the CCC made it run quite smoothly.. until now.

What annoys me is that one obvious and major hurdle for this mod to become more popular also for average pc-gamers (i'd include myself) hasn't been adressed and improved over the time but even worsened: it's resource intensiveness (the other one would be accessability). Yes i also read that the new HUD should improve performance, just that i didn't notice it in game. Maybe it just supports the GPU, in my machine the CPU surely is the bottleneck (Intel E6600, 2.4 Mhz vs. Geforce 9800 GT).

Anyway i don't want to complain too much, it's still a unique mod and i agree that it's important for such to develop, just that in my opinion it took the wrong curve this time. And since development is (in the main) over anyway, i can at least offer this server for a couple of stubborn yesterday-lovers like myself without having to risk any hardware. If the result are two games of SA a week with 6 people.. great, if i still drive around in lonely circles with my harasser next month.. welcome 0.7!

One question concerning your mapvoting tool Str1k3r.. i'm able to vote with all the variables i set up (maps, time when mapvote begins etc.) now, also the message about the upcoming map appears. But it won't switch the map until the round officially has started, will it? Independently from the maptimer that runs down in the server.log i mean..

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:07:34 AM by [n0rl] Django »

Offline Vlaad

• Lead Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-1
  • 80 percent human
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 03:16:45 AM »
Hail!

Hardware performance has been optimized in 0.7.1. and is much better than 0.6, I even dare to say, to 0.3 release vram usage levels. Most new assets lack LOD so there is place for improvements... Cryengine 2 is really expensive piece of software to begin with so im not sure what can you expect with your rig. I myself was a proud owner of 6400 core2 paired with 8800gts and 2 gb RAM before much needed upgrade (3d work was taxing on that old rig) so I do understand where you are coming from.

Btw overclocking helped me increase performance drastically on my old rig from 2.13ghz default to 3.2ghz. Game is cpu intensive.
pew-pew

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:37:41 PM »
Uhum, I now have a Q9550 @~3.6Ghz (previously stuck with a Pentium D925) coupled with a 9800GT, and running at Low graphics my bottleneck is still the CPU.

An E6600 should overclock well, so if your cooler does a good job to keep it cool, get to overclock it already! It will make a bigger difference than playing with CCC.

One question concerning your mapvoting tool Str1k3r.. i'm able to vote with all the variables i set up (maps, time when mapvote begins etc.) now, also the message about the upcoming map appears. But it won't switch the map until the round officially has started, will it? Independently from the maptimer that runs down in the server.log i mean..

Yes, it will only work properly after the game has started (I think the message I monitor before a round ends only appears in that case with improved round detection, otherwise it will use the time remaining from the status command, the same that appears in Rconnect), which will happen when it has enough players. You can set g_minplayerlimit and/or g_minteamlimit to 0 or 1 (1 will wait for one player to connect, and minplayerlimit is for SA, minteam other modes) for it to start the countdown for a round restart to begin the game.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:53:55 PM by Bruno_007 »
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »
Uhum, I now have a Q9550 @~3.6Ghz (previously stuck with a Pentium D925) coupled with a 9800GT, and running at Low graphics my bottleneck is still the CPU.

It's still a good CPU imo, ran that some time ago, then got a i7 860, and switched that with a 3770K on a Z77 with 32GB mem :D

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »
Yep, I went for the best price/performance there in the 775 socket (E8400 would had been a good choice as well, but might as well just have those two extra cores). I kept an eye on it for a long time, to catch any interesting sale.
Tools and I: