Author Topic: MWLL vs MWO, need advice/impressions  (Read 20896 times)

Offline Zippitt

• MWLL Developer
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +6/-0
Re: MWLL vs MWO, need advice/impressions
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2013, 12:22:04 AM »
I have been playing the game on and off for about a year, mostly after an update in hopes something significant changes to keep my interest. Nothing really has changed much though, for all the backing of a real company it doesn't feel like they are moving anywhere. The devs admitted at one point not to reading their forums because the number of negative posts.

They don't even have a smigin of their promised community warfare in yet, which in turn is affecting game balance due to the lack of meaningful objectives. What is the point in getting in anything but an assault and sniping, the more damage you do the better the winnings and the more likely you will win in general. The game has been for the last year counter strike in mechs, it doesn't offer a damned thing that is new in any MechWarrior title or any COD game, should just be called MWCOD. MWLL had far more features and for me was far more fun as a result.

I feel bad for their developers as I am sure they want to do more and to get such bad backlash from the community as a whole, but PGI has screwed the pooch on this. Their product is like an overpriced house that has been sitting on the market way too long.

If only MWLL could have been in CryEngine 3 with the accessibility of MWO :(

I think when people look back in 5 years MWO would only be slightly more memorable than Mech Assault.

Overall, MWO, while it's had some fun moments for me, it feels like a failure to the genre.

Offline Star Wraith

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2013, 01:22:04 AM »
I played MWO for about 2 months...
Here are the things that IMO are better on MWO

- Mech models and designs
- Mech movements (only torso/arms yaw/pitch speeds) and animations
- Aim reticle (it's really good, as very skilled players can shoot at 2 different targets in the same time)
- MechLa...well, actually not, since the build rules and limitations are ridicolous (HBK-4P with 9 medium lasers and STK-3F with 6 PPCs are a joke...)
- Damage system (Mechs have 3 rear torsos, and if you destroy a side torso on a mech which mount an XL engine, it will explode)
- LRM won't hit the target if you lose it

Here are the things that IMO are literally f***** up on MWO

- GAMEPLAY BALANCE IN GENERAL
- SRMs, NARC, LBXs and pulse lasers are useless.
- MGuns are OP (just a little)
- Mech scaling completely messed up (QKD is almost tall as the HGN, catapult is bigger than stalker)
- PPC/Gauss reload times are ridicolous...
- Very bad hardpoints limitation on the MechLab
- (from yesterday) Mech movements in general (Mech can get stuck even with the smallest rock...)
- Graphics (expecially textures) suck
- Very bad implementation of jump jets screen shake
- Radar......(well, you can't even call it a radar...)
- NETCODE (IT REALLY SUCKS) and hit detection system. You SEE that you hit a target, but often the hit is not detected... (and it's gone even worse with the latest patches)
- SSRMS hit ALWAYS center torso...
- HBK mech has problems with the crosshair (why..?  :o )
- DHSs are actually not double heat sinks...only 1,4x  :P
- Seismic sensor OP
- Artillery Strik...what? Really?
- A LOT OF INVISIBLE WALLS in EVERY MAP.
- Maps suck (Tourmaline isn't so bad, but still has invisible walls problem) and are unbalanced.
- Assault mode on big maps like Alpine ends often with CapWarrior
- Most players won't read the team chat...

I uninstalled it just yesterday...it's really unplayable. Too unbalanced. Only PPCs, Gauss and LRMs. Brawling? It doesn't even exist...(expecially with the latest patch, which nerfed the mech mobility...)
I just call it FailWarrior Online...just a worthless commercial game that doesn't deserve to be part of the MechWarrior series.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:15:59 PM by Starch1ld »

Offline Ch3m1kal

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +59/-2
« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2013, 01:39:28 AM »
- Mech movements (only torso/arms yaw/pitch speeds) and animations
- Aim reticle (it's really good, as very skilled players can shoot at 2 different targets in the same time)
- Damage system (Mechs have 3 rear torsos, and if you destroy a side torso on a mech which mount an XL engine, it will explode)
- LRM won't hit the target if you lose it
Here are the things that IMO are literally f***** up on MWO
- MGuns are OP (just a little)
- Graphics (expecially textures) suck

Just because i disagree with you on these points, so in order:

-Not really, mech animations are too bouncy and should make them fall over if they were remotely realistic(not to mention hunchies in particular look silly IMO). They also lack inverse kinematics so they look very brick-like on everything that's not a flat surface.
-The aim reticle greatly suffers from it's fixed size which makes it awkward at some ranges and i personally dislike it's general lagginess. Yes i know, it's semi-realistic but it's annoying. Also i personally have great trouble assessing if my weapon hardpoints are clear of obstacles or not and often end up shooting the building next to me, or the hill i'm peeking over. I think it's because of the FOV, or just me being stupid, but i don't get that with MWLL so i'm going to stick with the FOV explanation.
-I HATE the damage system. Or more precisely the damage display, which i find next to useless without the HTAL bars. Also MWLL does the same thing with XL engines, except it's not an instant kill, but you do 2x or 3x damage(can't remember exactly) to the CT when you shoot at a mech's destroyed side torso. Same with back armor. Also i understand why a mech would have 3 armor zones on the front, but why not just 1 single larger plate on the back? Or is it a CBT thing?
-The LRM thing is stupid IMO, especially since you can't dumbfire them in MWO, it makes perfect sense that once lock is achived they would be fire & forget. Also remember that in MWLL you need direct LOS for a lock, not just targeting info from a team mate.

-MGs WAT?!
-I thought you liked the graphics. Also i think in general MWO does look great, just wish they'd tone down the piss filter a bit and hired someone with ears to do the sound. I don't think i've ever heard a game with such bad sounds.
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Star Wraith

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2013, 02:14:18 AM »

Just because i disagree with you on these points, so in order:

-Not really, mech animations are too bouncy and should make them fall over if they were remotely realistic(not to mention hunchies in particular look silly IMO). They also lack inverse kinematics so they look very brick-like on everything that's not a flat surface.
-The aim reticle greatly suffers from it's fixed size which makes it awkward at some ranges and i personally dislike it's general lagginess. Yes i know, it's semi-realistic but it's annoying. Also i personally have great trouble assessing if my weapon hardpoints are clear of obstacles or not and often end up shooting the building next to me, or the hill i'm peeking over. I think it's because of the FOV, or just me being stupid, but i don't get that with MWLL so i'm going to stick with the FOV explanation.
-I HATE the damage system. Or more precisely the damage display, which i find next to useless without the HTAL bars. Also MWLL does the same thing with XL engines, except it's not an instant kill, but you do 2x or 3x damage(can't remember exactly) to the CT when you shoot at a mech's destroyed side torso. Same with back armor. Also i understand why a mech would have 3 armor zones on the front, but why not just 1 single larger plate on the back? Or is it a CBT thing?
-The LRM thing is stupid IMO, especially since you can't dumbfire them in MWO, it makes perfect sense that once lock is achived they would be fire & forget. Also remember that in MWLL you need direct LOS for a lock, not just targeting info from a team mate.

-MGs WAT?!
-I thought you liked the graphics. Also i think in general MWO does look great, just wish they'd tone down the piss filter a bit and hired someone with ears to do the sound. I don't think i've ever heard a game with such bad sounds.

Well these are just my opinions, btw  :)

- Anyway, yep, aim reticle it's a bit laggy, but i found it more realistic and useful, sometimes...
- Damage system is a CBT thing, because even MW2 and MW3 (and MekTek's Assault Tech 1 - Battletech) have the same system...
- Yeah, right, maybe the fact that you need a clear LOS to lock on may compensate this fact...
- Yep, MGuns are a little OP...a 4 Mgun spider has the double sustained DPS than a stock Ilya Muromets...maybe the IM has more range, but a light mech is more difficult to hit at short range than an Ilya...)
- Mh, it doesn't even support DX10...and yes, sound is bad. Expecially gauss and AC shots ones..

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
Played 4 games yesterday morning...first game on the canyon map. Here the new terrain system leads to brawling, with an assault force moving trough the canyons and getting in close quarter figting...good time for my Centurion... This was the best game. Next Spider K on Turmaline, got hunted down by a light/medium lance...short one, this. Then Spider K on Alpine, tried to cap and dance with an enemy Jenner...got killed from his friends with LRMs. Last Game was forest Colony in Centurion. Some Atlas driver took command and got us all killed in the open...

Played MWLL in the evening and had a blast. Tried all the Pumas, liked A and C and their GEGM.

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2013, 05:29:08 AM »
I've got a question... Why are the internal and external hull indicators separate? Wouldn't it have been both easier to read and less messy to overlay the internal indicator over the external indicator? Isn't this the obvious solution?

Offline =KoS= Saber15

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +181/-2
  • RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2013, 06:08:52 AM »
I've got a question... Why are the internal and external hull indicators separate? Wouldn't it have been both easier to read and less messy to overlay the internal indicator over the external indicator? Isn't this the obvious solution?

Seeing as how MWO's nestled internals makes the armor display a pain in the ass to read in combat, it's probably for the best
"Concentrate on the moment, each moment is its own reality. It has a particular thisness. You can't predict, but you can explain. Or try. If you are observant, and lucky, you can say, this is why this is happening! It's very interesting!"

Offline MidnightWyvern

• Apprentice Dev
  • Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-1
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »

Seeing as how MWO's nestled internals makes the armor display a pain in the ass to read in combat, it's probably for the best
My thoughts exactly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eaUaJUhTZfw#t=148s
An excellent example of why pod killmails are the best feature to be implemented in EVE Online since warping at zero.

Offline Mattk50

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05:23 AM »

MWO's ui for it is bad because it doesn't use strong color and it pulses blurring the lines of the indicators.... bad UI design all around. Just solid colors would probably work better, but regardless its ok.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »
If your damage indicator is going to flash, it should flash to high contrast from medium contrast, not the other way around.