Author Topic: WTF is Enkeladus doing?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
WTF is Enkeladus doing?
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »
I get 60-90 (or more) FPS on pretty much every map, even the other notoriously hard on FPS ones like Ivory Tower, Inferno, and New Roland, and then there's TC_Enkeladus doing 15-25, or 10 in a pitched brawl.  It's even worse in nightvision.

Is the map just incredibly un-optimized?  Does the aurora borealis effect just murder frame rate?

I'm running an i5-3570k at 4.4 ghz, 16g ram, and a ghz edition 7870.  Frame rate shouldn't be plumetting to atari levels.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
Re: WTF is Enkeladus doing?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:10:28 AM »
I get 25 to 35 on a laptop with an OCed A8 and an AMD 6750M and on this map I get anywhere from 5 to 10 most the time. 

Offline Spyro

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +9/-3
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:43:11 PM »
its wholy the Aura Borealis...unfortunately I wasn't on TS at the right time to tell them if they were going to release it in its present state it needed that taken out.  My bad

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 12:50:14 AM »
It is beautiful.  Just slow.

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 06:12:40 AM »
Hmm, is there a console setting that would either degrade the quality of, or remove, the borealis effect?  In its current state I'm probably better off just exiting the game for an hour instead of just getting completely fed up and angry about how terrible the map's performance is.

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 08:40:39 AM »
yes the map is not optimized.  ask finalizer for the history of why it wasn't completed years ago, but be happy that we have it in the first place.  If he didn't do those last minute (all nighter) optimizations to make it playable in the first place, nobody would have ever seen it!
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline =KoS= Finalizer

• The bomb diggity diggity
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +61/-0
  • ORE WA BATTLEMECH
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 07:05:28 PM »
It's a bit odd since, given our (admittedly limited) bit of testing before release, we found ourselves getting better FPS on Enkeladus than ever before, Borealis particles and all. Even Vlaad, who had notorious issues with the map and loathed playing on it beforehand, found its performance to be above average... That was a large reason why I ended up pushing for its release in the first place. I guess I'll just have to chalk this up to performance inconsistency.

And yes, like Twinks said, this map has had a... Long history, largely filled with frustrations over performance issues primarily tied to the Aurora.

Hmm, is there a console setting that would either degrade the quality of, or remove, the borealis effect?  In its current state I'm probably better off just exiting the game for an hour instead of just getting completely fed up and angry about how terrible the map's performance is.

Don't know off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's a way you could just turn off particles altogether... 'Course, at the cost of being able to see all sorts of weapon & general effects as well :P Sadly, there's nothing like a way to turn off specific effects.

Superior commit notes for superior developers