Author Topic: Why Hello Hello..  (Read 2988 times)

Offline MFSC

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • fapp Bitches; Mech Money
Why Hello Hello..
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:13:20 PM »
Hey fellas! 

I just picked up Crysis Warhead from Amazon and had a ton of fun trying out MW:LL.  It was about 12:00 PST when I finally got everything downloaded  so I mostly just bounced around in a low gravity map with a Harasser.  (BTW, did you know that if you hit the dish arrays on the crystal map you get stuck in between?) I haven't played much since MW4: Mercs, but am excited to learn more about this combined arms approach.

Any tips for someone who knows nothing besides how to do  a barrel roll in a Harrasser?

Also, when are the best times to get on the server?

And finally, are there any control tweaks that are a must? Free reticle? The eject button?

Offline Ch3m1kal

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +59/-2
Re: Why Hello Hello..
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »
Hi! Welcome aboard!

First things first, servers are generally populated around 6PM GMT and most of the day on weekends.
As for tips, the default aero controls are unusable so you might want to take a look at them, but then again you should probably stay away from aerospace until you get a bit of combat experience. Since you're new to this I suggest you leave the free reticule as it is. Some of the older players complain about it because they got used to the old system but the new one is actually better in many ways.

Otherwise just be patient, don't be afraid to ask any questions in game and enjoy the big bots. Also don't worry about dying a lot at first, just relax, have fun and you WILL get better.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:13:51 PM by Ch3m1kal »
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:21:58 PM »
Hey, out of interest did you use the official installer or the all in 1 installer?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-2
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:54:51 PM »
I actually disagree with not picking aero until later on. Air assets are almost a completely different game to ground assets and even VTOLs are pretty different to aeros. Leave planes till later and the frustration of being a noob all over again can land you back on the ground(me so funneh) in a hurry. Plus, we are sorely in need of decent dog-fighters :P.

General tips are use team chat to ask for help/questions and coordinate with the team, experiment with as many different assets as you can/want/like, play around with active and passive radar, practice aiming and spreading damage, pay attention to equipment besides weapons, look up stuff in the wiki(though some parts are out of date after the huge 0.7.x updates) and stick with the game.

Most people suicide rush at first, play more carefully over time and then start figuring out going balls to the walls, retreating and playing peek-a-boo with potshots. If you don't have fun while playing this ain't gonna happen, though, and the learning curve is pretty brutal at the beginning. It does get better over time, just make sure you don't burn yourself out. I started playing MW:LL after a long hiatus from videogames in general and, for the first month, playing more than one game every couple of days made me feel very, very frustrated.

If you take some time looking through the actionmapper you'll see most of the controls. Default eject is F(you now need to press it twice in a small time frame since people kept ejecting by accident while trying to turn right). I think you need to set free reticle yourself. A lot of people seem to unbind the crappy voice chat and use left alt. You can play with free reticle on toggle and switch mode, and using cl_free_reticle_independent on 1 or 0 (it's a console command that changes the free-reticle behavior). Unfortunately you need to get out of the game to configure controls. I agree that the new free reticle has its quirks and was very frustrating at first, but it seems better than the old one now that I'm getting used to it.

TL:DR
Welcome! Have fun and you'll figure stuff out over time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:05:25 PM by okaolias »

Offline Marlin

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +16/-15
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
Welcome to the game. Hope to see you out there.
Watch "Save the Supers" you will get some laughs in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvc6E-Wjbo

Should I ever be listed at the top of my team, then we have a serious problem.

Offline MFSC

• Bondsman
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:54:38 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I installed from the crysis warhead CD, but I'll be sure to check that out next time I need to install it.   I see that becoming a big hit at LAN parties in the future.   

I don't have a problem with the reticle being followed by the torso, but the fact that it tries to return to center makes it difficult to maintain a steady aim without running off your mouse pad.

Oooh... I can't wait to get my Extreme3D working with this game.  It looks like nobody's on right now so I'll get that sorted out.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »
I see that becoming a big hit at LAN parties in the future.   

This, at larger lan parties MWLL will fapping slay, I know I'm going to force my suggestion onto people at any event I ever go to.

Which reminds me... I think I need to do another megawub.

Also welcome aboard dude, my name is Bill, I don't play quite so often as I used to, but when I do you'll know I'm there  8)

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »
Hello and Welcome. :)

See you on the battlefield.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 08:36:12 PM »
don't forget for the lan party to get the MWLL 0.7.1 plus Crysis Wars Trial 1.5 Combined Installer - Release :3

That way EVERYONE can play... just to be sure you put the server on a stand alone machine ;)

Offline Tufted Titmouse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-1
  • But mom said it was MY turn to post!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 11:09:05 PM »
Wassup! Good to see another person found us.

If you ever need help with making suicide runs, killing things at point blank range, and exploding gloriously, blasto and myself are the dudes to see.
SPARKLE

PARTY

Offline MFSC

• Bondsman
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 01:34:12 AM »
don't forget for the lan party to get the MWLL 0.7.1 plus Crysis Wars Trial 1.5 Combined Installer - Release :3

That way EVERYONE can play... just to be sure you put the server on a stand alone machine ;)

Awesome, any reason for having the server on another machine besides running out of memory?  My comp has 16 gigs and an i7 2600k so I was messing around with playing in my own server and didn't see much of a problem.  One thing I was curious about is how to turn off licence key authentication.  I had my friend install using the combined installer and it asks for a licence key when I set up a server  but not on funbocks.  Is it fairy easy to accomplish?

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 07:21:42 AM »
Block outbound port 29910 (UDP). Pretty easy to do with Windows 7 firewall.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 02:38:12 PM »
Or Setting up LAN Server would disable the CD-Key check as well, if you're not trying to play over the internet.

Edit: but you mentioned Funblocks, so I assume your friend is probably not in a LAN with you.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" Šokaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).