Author Topic: New Mech Game I Am Working On [Updated 04/14/17]  (Read 9020 times)

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
New Mech Game I Am Working On [Updated 04/14/17]
« on: May 19, 2013, 06:37:52 AM »
UPDATE 04/14/17

Just wanted to drop by and post some recent videos I've recorded on progress.

https://youtu.be/Qs3MH1gNCks

https://youtu.be/J7AZw8SQp20

https://youtu.be/74nDCQk-hAI

UPDATE 12/13/16

Hey guys, expect to see more frequent updates in 2017 as I am leaving my job starting the 1st of January to work on this game full time. I've only got a couple weeks left, it's pretty exciting. Hopefully within the year I can have a sell-able basic version of the multiplayer completed, and if it is successful it would launch me into a new career of making games! Wish me luck! I've already made the announcement on the modDB page which I have been updating about every 6 months, you can find it here: http://www.moddb.com/games/wartek

UPDATE 04/17/16

Chuggin' along on the projectile simulation, here is a video of me testing the ricochet physics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-DVDF7VL2k&feature=youtu.be

UPDATE 04/11/16

I'm working on projectile simulation now, I just finished the bullet trajectory simulation, but no hit detection and no networking on it yet. Here's a video I made testing it after I got out all the bugs, the simulation is of 30mm shells, the ones that the A10 Thunderbolt shoot from it's front Gatling cannon:

https://youtu.be/Nxni86mwxmM

A10 Thunderbolt video:

https://youtu.be/NvIJvPj_pjE

UPDATE 04/07/16

Video I made today testing the networking:

https://youtu.be/Z0DuR99ozSk

Here is a link to a test build of the game if you wanna check it out:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39066510/WartekTest.zip

UPDATE 03/27/16

Hey Guys, I've been busy with my job for most of the past year. But I have been able to make some progress on this game. I have added fully working networking code that allows people to play together over the internet or LAN, with the bare bones of my server - client relationship that will take care of lag compensation, client-side prediction, and all that good stuff that makes some multiplayer games super smooth and responsive.

No weapons yet though, pretty much all you can do is see each other and walk around together. I can create a build of the game and upload it to dropbox or something for you guys to mess around with if you want, but can't do it right now.

I thought I would just stop by and give you guys the customary annual update, even though I don't really have much to show, almost all of the work has been put into non-visible things like networking.

Here is a recent video I made of me testing how many tree sprites I could have on my terrain without dropping the FPS too much, the answer was a lot! lol. I was also in the process of adding a zoom-window feature and I've added a really simple HUD element that shows you the orientation of your mech.

https://youtu.be/jjjKlSC_9S4

UPDATE 03/02/15

Hi guys, it's been about 3 years, things did not work out well with Cryengine 3 SDK, I use blender to do my modeling and animation because its pretty much the only free alternative to 3DS Max or Maya. So I had to rely on a plugin called CryBlend to get my character into the game. At some point my mech would not export anymore and I gave up, I spent the next few years with the game in the back of my mind and every once in a while I would check to see if the new version of CryBlend would allow me to export my character to no avail.

A couple of weeks ago my friend told me about Unity and said I should try it out for my game. So I did, and results have been very good. I now have about a weeks worth of work into developing my game in Unity, a couple videos of my progress will be below, I've gotten very simple movement controls to work with my mech and made the torso rotate to where I am looking without overriding the 'headbob' effect from my walking animation.

Right now I only have my mech model and one walking animation made, as well as 16km x 16km of terrain generated by World Machine in-game.

Several things have changed about my mech game design, I have done research and asked some educated people about things like fusion reactors, thermocouples, capacitors, rail guns, etc. and the info I have gathered has had a huge effect on my design. Things will be a lot different, and even a little backwards than things are in other mech games as far as how your mech performs and how it overheats.

My mechs will be powered by fusion reactors, fusion reactors generate huge amounts of energy, and they cannot be throttled; they continue to generate energy until the reaction runs out on it's own. A fusion reactor is a heat power source, and you have to turn that heat into electricity somehow, just like a coal powerplant which burns coal to turn water into steam, then uses that steam to turn turbines. My mechs won't have steam turbines generating power, thats where thermocouples come in, a thermocouple is a type of material that generates electricity when you heat it up, and it cools down when you draw electricity out.

The fusion reactor will generate heat, then the thermocouple will absorb that heat and produce electricity, the thermocouple will only cool off when electricity is drawn out however. This forms the basis of how the mechs reactor will be handled, it works a little backwards from the way we are used to thinking, you use power to cool off your reactor. This only applies to your reactor though, your equipment and weapons will work like normal, heating up when they are used, and cooling off when they are not.

So one of the most important things to designing and managing your mech will be to make sure you are always cooling off your reactor by drawing electricity away from it, there are several ways to draw electricity out,  capacitors in your mech will charge up with extra energy for later use, cooling off your reactor until they are fully charged. Using energy weapons, using equipment like stealth generators, shields, active sensors. And you can always dump your power into the ground if your are in trouble but other mechs will be able to detect you if you do that. One of the biggest choices you can make for your mech however is what type of fuel you want to use in your reactor, different kinds of fuel will produce different kinds of reactions, some with very high power output, and others with lower power outputs. So you can choose to have a more stealthy mech that can survive long-term or even indefinitely in stealth mode without their reactor overheating, but lacking in power to fight for long-term once they are discovered, or you can have an extremely powerful mech that can fight very well but is more unstable, harder to manage, and cannot use a stealth generator and be entirely undetectable because it must use other equipment and things to dissipate all the energy that it is creating; giving off it's position.

As I think I have stated before, I want to eventually have a combined arms type gameplay, with AI controlling the weaker assets like tanks, infantry, and smaller non-fusion-powered mechs while players control the big mechs, and can take control of the weaker assets once they have died.

As far as graphics goes I want it to look at least as good as mechwarrior 2, it will most likely look better than that with the large view distances and everything, but I am aiming for at least as good as MW2.

The next thing I want to work on is getting the networking to work with what I've already created, so that I can design everything from the ground up to be a multiplayer online game.

Videos and pics of my progress:

http://youtu.be/vNleEyese4A?t=46s

http://youtu.be/SBwZ7GOxUu8

UPDATE 06/12
I managed to get the damn thing into Cryengine as a .chr with a skeleton. Now I gotta do some animation, here's my attempt at a walk cycle, what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdWDgfNn1rs&feature=youtu.be

I've done some major improvements to the walk cycle above, here is the newer version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLNotXRwRk8

Here's a shot of it in the engine when it was a .cgf and still had it's arms: I made him bigger to fit the scale that I want, my mechs are going to be bigger than BT. This mech will be on the heavier side of medium class and he is about as tall as an Atlas. Heavier class mechs will be bigger, not too much taller, but more massive.

ORIGINAL POST

I've been inspired to start working on my own mech game, it won't be in the battletech universe, I'll be using the Cryengine 3 SDK. What do you guys think of the base model so far? I call it the Jack, for "Jack of All Trades". This is just a base model, this is what I would use to bring into Zbrush, subdivide it, and add details, to get the low poly and high poly models.

Some design choices for the game are as follows:

Weaponry deadlier than in most MW games as well as having realistic projectile speed, trajectory and ranges; the weapon deadliness will be balanced out with harder aiming, your weapons will sway when moving, putting them on arms will help but it makes them vulnerable, arms can have a gyro system to stabilize aiming but makes it even more vulnerable, etc.

Parts won't be separated into left torso, right torso, ect. all weapons, equipment, your reactor, heatsinks, etc. will be at specific spots on your mech and people have to hit them directly in order to disable them, this also helps with balancing out the deadlier weapons as it will be harder to hit the specific spots needed to disable the mech.

Heatsinks need to be exposed to the air to get maximum efficiency and they are like butter compared to the super hard armor, so energy dependent mechs will typically be vulnerable from behind or wherever the heatsinks are placed.

Your reactor can't only overheat, you also have a certain energy capacity that is used up by firing energy weapons, running full speed, active air cooling systems etc. if you ever go over your capacity your reactor will "stall" and shut off suddenly, your mech would be completely without power for a second or so; if you where running when this happened you would have a nasty fall. When your reactor overheats it can stall and shut down as well, but when it gets overheated it gets damaged and you may find yourself unable to turn it on again.

Safeguards can be activated that will limit your weapon fire and movement speed to keep you from overheating or going over your energy capacity, but if you go manual you can squeeze extra performance out of your mech.

Ammunition capacity will be based on space, not weight. You have to use the physical space available in your mech to carry the ammunition, if you don't have the space to fit the actual rounds then too bad. For instance, longer ranged missles will be much bigger than short ranged missles and so long range missle racks will usually be only 1 salvo (however, you will be able to specify how many you want to fire at a time, most of the time you will only want to fire a few at a once), short ranged probably 3 salvos. you can reload on the spot if you are carrying extra missles but you will have to allocate a LOT of space to actually carry another salvo especially if its long ranged.

Most reloading will be done by ammunition carrying drones or player controlled specialized mechs (That is if there are any players willing to be dedicated ammo carriers), the drones can be commanded around and told to stay at certain areas to stay away from the enemy, or to follow you. When you reload from these ammo carriers I want to have an animated sequence where it shows the reload actually taking place, with your mech opening up and ejecting the old cartridge and the drone inserting the new one in, or if it's a missle rack the mech kneels down and the back opens up and the drone slides the new missiles into the rack.

What do you guys think? I welcome any constructive criticism.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:33:20 PM by The Spartan »

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
Re: Rough draft on a model for a new mech game
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
The Idea sound interresting. I noticed that, judging after the tiny humina figure, your mechs are really huge. This one 30 meters, if i guess right?

Offline Bird_Thing

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-4
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 05:48:27 PM »
Very interesting ideas!

I'm curious to see where this will go

Offline Alpha_Zulu_Tango

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-6
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:13:59 PM »
Hope this kicks up, sounds really good! "Realistic" weapon ranges, complex radar etc would be interesting.
Aka =Z= AZT

Contact person of Zeta Battalion. Kaikki suomalaiset tervetuloa!

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:59:57 PM »
The Idea sound interresting. I noticed that, judging after the tiny humina figure, your mechs are really huge. This one 30 meters, if i guess right?

Yeah I noticed I made him a bit too big after making the thread. In that picture he was 10 men tall, there's something weird about the perspective that is making him look a lot bigger than he actually is. Since then I've made him smaller, about 6 men tall now.

I am not too interested in creating the lore for the game, so if anyone here is creative and good at that kind of stuff I would welcome any suggestions.

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-5
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 01:05:46 AM »
While you ideas sound interesting, why would you use CE3?
You've heard of the issues MWLL's Devs had when trying to bring Mechs into the Engine, right?

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 02:13:34 AM »
What problems were those? My plan was to import it as an animated character. the same as you would when making a new model for a player.

Offline JLZ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-6
  • m e l e r s k i
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »
For some reason MWLL put a vehicle on the animated characters head/body. I think it was needed to make the torso twist.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:00:21 PM by Bad guy »

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 05:35:53 PM »
The weapon/pod system would not work with a character, so the solution was to virtually "weld" a vehicle (the torso, arms) onto an animated character (the legs).

If the 'Mechs are fully animated characters using the CryEngine weapon slot attachment system (like MW:O does) then this is not (as much) an issue.

Ambitious plan, but "realistic weapons ranges and velocities" is a rather tall order for a game that is meant to be fun.  Consider that lasers should have a near infinite range so long as atmospheric conditions allow.  Also with "realistic" ballistic weaponry all of the weapons are almost hitscan at any sort of video game engagement ranges if their muzzle velocity is remotely near real (ex. 16" battleship guns).
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 08:48:52 AM »
My aim for the weapons at the beginning will be to have as much realism I can, if things don't work out too good I will adjust accordingly, my plan is that long range engagement will be a matter of several km. If we can't get large enough maps to work in multilayer then I will have to change something. My friend is a very good programmer and we can optimize the network code assuming that it isn't locked away in the source code (I don't think it is). Also I do not want to focus on having ridiculously good graphics and high-poly stuff so that will also help with performance for large maps, imagine at least MW3 or MW4 level of graphics (though with higher res textures, normal mapping, dynamic lighting, etc. it will look at lot better) with huge view distances. Also I don't think I want lasers in my game, it seems to me it would be way too easy to render them useless with reflective armor or simply painting your mech white, I'm going to focus more on plasma type stuff for energy weapons, though I might still have lasers and have some kind of mechanic where you can only really do damage with them if you are firing into a non-reflective area, like a hole in someone's armor. But I will probably wait to add that until late in development; if I ever get there of course, : |

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »
The weapon/pod system would not work with a character, so the solution was to virtually "weld" a vehicle (the torso, arms) onto an animated character (the legs).

If the 'Mechs are fully animated characters using the CryEngine weapon slot attachment system (like MW:O does) then this is not (as much) an issue.

Ambitious plan, but "realistic weapons ranges and velocities" is a rather tall order for a game that is meant to be fun.  Consider that lasers should have a near infinite range so long as atmospheric conditions allow.  Also with "realistic" ballistic weaponry all of the weapons are almost hitscan at any sort of video game engagement ranges if their muzzle velocity is remotely near real (ex. 16" battleship guns).

After reading this, I got a brain fart about magical steambots with old fashoned gun powder cannons or gigant Crossbows...

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 08:54:22 AM »
Instead of making your Mecha 6-10 men tall, would making them 1 man tall and adjusting the scenery and props to fake proper scale help with having large battlefields that don't dominate the end user hardware?

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
Our maps were large, but they could have been larger if we didn't use real-world units for scale. If you cut the size of things by 1/4 you could have 4x the amount of space to play on.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 04:55:38 PM »
As long as you remember to cut down velocity and acceleration and the such as well, it would work i guess o.O
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Mech Daddy

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-54
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »
Instead of making your Mecha 6-10 men tall, would making them 1 man tall and adjusting the scenery and props to fake proper scale help with having large battlefields that don't dominate the end user hardware?

Then the texture quality has to be adjusted too. The proper solution is that the texture quality is lowered instead of the scenery/unit scaling.