Author Topic: New Mech Game I Am Working On [Updated 04/14/17]  (Read 7686 times)

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
Re: Rough draft on a model for a new mech game
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 10:50:17 PM »
Smaller assets also equal a higher overall texture quality for the same resolution as the resolution of your maps are based on the real-world scale.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +85/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 11:16:20 PM »
Which means . .
If you go for 1/4th scale and lower Resolution to 1/2 you actually increase it to 200% AND need less computing power, because on an absolute level you have lowered it by half? O.o
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Rajveer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 01:55:47 AM »
Instead of making your Mecha 6-10 men tall, would making them 1 man tall and adjusting the scenery and props to fake proper scale help with having large battlefields that don't dominate the end user hardware?

I don't think it would make a difference on the performance of the hardware? I think all it would do is give you more space to play with as the same calculations would still take place, just on a smaller scale with no overflow.

Then the texture quality has to be adjusted too. The proper solution is that the texture quality is lowered instead of the scenery/unit scaling.

Scaling geometry down doesn't require any changes to art assets, if you're scaling the entire world down it will still look the same to the user.

Smaller assets also equal a higher overall texture quality for the same resolution as the resolution of your maps are based on the real-world scale.

Assuming that he's going to position the camera in the same relative position when scaled down as when he was going to have a larger world scale (behind the mech, inside it, whatever) then the assets will look the same.

Offline Vlaad

• Lead Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-1
  • 80 percent human
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 03:23:46 AM »
Scaling can make horrible things happen.

@OP
Overambitious project... Luck!
pew-pew

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 06:29:12 AM »
lol at that picture :D

The cool thing is that I can start small and build on it one bit at a time, even without the ambitious features it can still end up being a good game.

I'm going to just use my base model in-game for now, I've started rigging it already. I'm going to try to use it to create a proof of concept before I focus on visuals.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
Instead of making your Mecha 6-10 men tall, would making them 1 man tall and adjusting the scenery and props to fake proper scale help with having large battlefields that don't dominate the end user hardware?

I don't think it would make a difference on the performance of the hardware? I think all it would do is give you more space to play with as the same calculations would still take place, just on a smaller scale with no overflow.

I'm basing that on the assumption that it takes a lot less power to process a say, 4x4 map at 1/2 scale than an 8x8 map at proper scale, while still allowing you the same if not higher levels of detail in the same space, while the end user still sees an area that appears to be 8x8.

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »
I think I got a idea to ballance big Autocannons with realistic ranges. Give them recoil. With a small calibre, you could shoot fast and stay on target, but a big cannon could take some time to reaim after a shot.

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +85/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 07:47:55 PM »
Less than one second to reaquire target if it has been lost at all with todays computer stabilized MBT Guns.
Reloading takes a bit longer and in WW2, 40mm and 88mm Flak Cannons could fire fast on target already.
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-5
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »

I'm basing that on the assumption that it takes a lot less power to process a say, 4x4 map at 1/2 scale than an 8x8 map at proper scale, while still allowing you the same if not higher levels of detail in the same space, while the end user still sees an area that appears to be 8x8.

If you fill said 4x4 map with the same amount of assets and detail that you'd put in an 8x8 map, it wouldn't make much of a difference...
A 100 Poly rock still has 100 Polys when scaled down to half size, reducing the size of the textures would make it a bit easier on the VRAM, but I doubt it'd be noticeable.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 03:00:27 PM »
I guess that depends heavily on how intensive raw view distance is, it shouldn't be too hard to make a comparison?

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 05:29:21 PM »

If you fill said 4x4 map with the same amount of assets and detail that you'd put in an 8x8 map, it wouldn't make much of a difference...
A 100 Poly rock still has 100 Polys when scaled down to half size, reducing the size of the textures would make it a bit easier on the VRAM, but I doubt it'd be noticeable.

For the most part, yes. Though we found out that texture density is in some part based on world space. I think the calculation we discovered is that for every 4x4m square of space you need a 512x512 texture which is why our mechs needed 2048's for larger mechs to even look remotely decent. You can probably save a shitload of video memory at equal or greater fidelity with smaller assets.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 12:45:48 AM »
I managed to get the damn thing into Cryengine as a .chr with a skeleton. Now I gotta do some animation, here's my attempt at a walk cycle, what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdWDgfNn1rs&feature=youtu.be

Here's a shot of it in the engine when it was a .cgf and still had it's arms: I made him bigger to fit the scale that I want, my mechs are going to be bigger than BT. This mech will be on the heavier side of medium class and he is about as tall as an Atlas. Heavier class mechs will be bigger, not too much taller, but more massive.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:28:27 AM by The Spartan »

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
Re: Rough draft on a model for a new mech game [Update 06/12]
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 12:43:26 PM »
The walk Cycle looks good.

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 06:38:34 PM »
I'd almost want to say, the walk animation looks good. However, something that size (in my opinion) should also rock the crotch area up and down slightly, as a result of the legs moving forwards.
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline The Spartan

• Recruit
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 06:49:54 PM »
I've already made some major improvements to the walk cycle, here's a new video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLNotXRwRk8

What do you think of that?