Author Topic: MWLL in Non-Commercial Linux?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline alanwescoat

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
MWLL in Non-Commercial Linux?
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:31:56 AM »
Has anyone managed to get MWLL running well in any version of Linux using nothing but non-commercial apps?

My guess is that the answer is "no", but if anyone out there has a "yes", I would appreciate instructions and an offhand appraisal as to whether you think my hardware is sufficient to play MWLL properly through Linux using whatever emulation is required.  I'm running Intel Q9550 (Core 2 quad 2.83GHZ), 4GB RAM (unfortunately maxed for my particular Intel mobo), Radeon HD 5770 1GB, and Seagate Barracudda SATA2 HDD.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
Re: MWLL in Non-Commercial Linux?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »
IIRC I had it running in WINE no problem. and so do others here.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5880

Runs Crysis wars no problem.
My milk shakes!

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »
I've heard a few people run it on WINE, I'm sure Haarp would be a good person to talk to, Your system will run it (I only recently upgraded from a HD5770 and have a CPU only marginally better than yours) But it certainly wont be the best experience, you'd best tweak the configuration to get the most out of it, CCC (Custom Crysis Config) is a good tool to do this with.
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline alanwescoat

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 02:04:56 PM »
Okay.  Well, this is good news.  Thanks for the responses.

It is not working for me.  I have run the installer.  Both Crysis Wars and MWLL appear to have installed fine.  Launching any exe file that was installed results in an attempt to run the program which terminates uneventfully after a few seconds.

I am running Linux Mint 201303 x64 with Mate (instead of Cinnamon).  My WINE is 1.4.1.  Any advice to get it running under Linux would be most appreciated.  While I can run it under Windows, I'm trying to keep Linux booted up as much as possible instead.  Also, my current instance of Windows seems to be having major issues with my GPU, which I don't much feel like fixing through Windows.  I had thought that my card was dying utnil I renstalled Mint and have noticed that my system has absolutely no graphics problems whatsoever under Mint, whereas the problem with Windows is getting increasingly worse.

Does anyone think that I will suffer a performance hit for running it through Mint (if there's any way to get it to work) as opposed to simply running it through its native Windows on the same system?

Also, I have no aversion to setting up a partition on one of my hard drives for a specific install of a specific version of Linux and a specific version of WINE just to try this out.  Anyone who has it working, especially with similar hardware, please let me know which distro you are using along with which version of WINE.

[EDIT: I see from exploring the link provided by SJ SLC Wolf that the answer to this question has already been given.]

@GOuty: While I hear you about the hardware, I had MWLL up and running on this system two years ago without CCC, and it ran acceptably for me then (under Windows).  Still, using CCC to tone down some features is probably good advice.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 02:16:37 PM by alanwescoat »

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
I had it running using Kubuntu 11.10
My milk shakes!