Author Topic: I've shown up, with lots of shooter and vehicle sim experience, however  (Read 3431 times)

Offline RazgrizBSG27

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Hello, I finally got around to installing crysis wars again, and took up MWLL, its been three days, and I got the gist of controlling things, except for some minor points, and am fairly accurate with the weapons I use

but,
I know next to nothing about the specific strategic aspects of MW, I played 4:mercenaries, and 3 a couple years ago, and was okay at them, I do find myself struggling to score any kills, I've only chalked up three so far, and I think I can remedy that somewhat by spending more time on the wiki, and learning the designators of various items, etc.

I also need to learn the Tactical and strategic nuances of MWLL,
Examples of my assumptions versus the truth of MWLL based on my real-world and past video game experience:
One, the amount of firepower it takes to kill anything is enormous- I grossly underestimated this
Two, I assumed infantry would have at least a couple weapons that could in 2-3 well placed hits disable or destroy a light-medium mech or AV, and would be much more effective than they are- I was wrong
Three, that using Hovercrafts, or similarly fast vehicles for quick hit and runs would be effective- It was not, you have to stick around to kill anything
Four, I thought AirCav would rule open planes, an canyons like TC-Oasis- Turns out AirCav is too sluggish and under armed to really make a dent in any mech formation
Five, that the benefits of Armor over mechs would be being able to mount heavier , anti-mech weapons, at the expense of size,etc. - This was not the case
Six, At one point I tried to take the center of TC Oasis with light mechs , a couple Oro's , one aircav plane, and some hover craft , two heavy mechs stopped our entire advance- I thought we could swamp their defense

About me abit: I have been playing combined arms games for a long time, all the battlefield titles, both planetsides, etc.
I have played MW3, and MW4: mercenaries, and Many many RTS , especially Homeworlds 1&2, and red alert 1-3

I have read many books on warfare, both fiction, and not ( I enjoy these kinds of books)
namely
Non-ficiton
James H. Dunnigan, How to make War
the art of war
, etc.
Fiction
The bolo series by keith laumer,and david weber (My personal favorite) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_(tank)
many Tom Clancy titles
Ian Slater books
Micheal di mercurio's works
Starship troopers & other Heinleins
Honor Harrington , also by david weber
Ender's game and other Orson scott card novels

Well enough rambling you get the point

I hope that in time, I can become an asset to the team, both in the dirt, and planning wise,
this should be fun 

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
Re: I've shown up, with lots of shooter and vehicle sim experience, however
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 01:01:01 AM »
c4 grenades are brilliant at taking out anything armoured, you spawn with one so stock up. Also, they tend to not stick so good luck killing anything. The PPC and HL are actually quite good, though they are not going to take anything down in a couple of hits. I think of BA as an area denial unit, though others will have different roles for them.

Armor (treds) usually have much more armor and slightly heavier weapons than their equivalently priced mechs. I'd say manoeuvrability  would be a mechs counterbalance.
In a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 03:17:42 AM »
Hey! I was in the game on kagoshima the other day! Just keep playing, you'll get it. Took me a month to go from a total beginner who got instagibbed to being good enough to score a few kills here and there. One thing I'd say is try a lot of mechs. Everyone has personal favorites and what not that fit their style. I like brawlers mostly, but there are some skirmishers that I'm ok in too.

If you find yourself starting late and got a little money, try the rac-5/2xuac2 hollander and hang back. you can score a bit of cash at 1200 with the uac2 and when they get a little closer let lose the rac 5 for the big points. The other day I went from nothing in the bank to enough to buy a warhammer b in about 5 minutes. Don't bother buying uac2 ammo, just rac5 for that one.

Good luck and hope to see you on the battlefield.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 03:28:58 AM »
It's easy dude.

Shoot bitches, get money, smoke trees.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 03:34:30 AM »
Hello and welcome!
Well, yes, this is not an easy game, and its learning curve is really slow, because of this huge complexity.
But don't worry...just practice, and you will see that things will become easier  :)
Do you want an advice? Try to use Owens D or Uller B at the start...i would suggest also Solitaire F, but that's very hard to use because of its very weak armor...
And, remember, play like you had only one life! So, when you're damaged, return to base, repair and reload your asset!

Have fun!
See you on the field!

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 03:38:32 AM »
Nah dude, just take an Osiris and learn to survive.

Then you will be Mechwarrior.

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »
So you've finally awoken... I knew the time would come.
And now you plan to rain death upon the land?

... you know what will happen after that?

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 04:23:39 PM »
Fairies will come and kiss him tenderly to a soft awakening for never-ending fun in MWLL country ?

My way of saying "Hello there and have fun! And please take your time learning all the ins and outs of MWLL, there are tons."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 05:16:29 PM »
Fairies will come and kiss him tenderly to a soft awakening for never-ending fun in MWLL country ?

Is this code for getting shot in the face with an LBX-20? I think it is.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 06:55:56 PM »
One of the major keys to MWLL is know in what situation are certain assets the strongest. 

Armor is fantastic if you need firepower for a semi static defense situation. You can keep rotating your base to present fresh armor easily and quickly without having to reposition. Don't get caught out in the open where mechs and aircraft can hit and run you.

The key to ASF (aerospace fighters) is knowing how to approach from high or low altitude under passive radar, striking hard, then fading away.

Light, medium, and certain heavy mech are generally about mobility. You're not there to stand toe to toe and slug it out. Most of the time you're there to grab attention and pull people out of formations/cover.

Assaults and heavies generally fall into two roles. Line Anchors that just lob fire power from long distance and Tip of the Spear that are meant to soak up damage while pushing your whole formation forward. People typically play assaults as Anchors since Spears take a lot of coordination and trust.

Battle Armors (BAs) or infantry is generally about swarming and the key to this is having an APC that can be used a mobile spawn point near forward positions.  They also double as a shop for BA weapons/equipment and ammo reload points for other assets. I'm sure you've figured it out but the life blood of BAs is erratic movement and use of cover. I will say there's nothing like sneaking up on a missile boat that's just lobbing lrm with tunnel vision, laying all of your C8 on him and then watching his ammo bins blow :3 *still one of my favorite memories of MWLL*  If memory serves me one C8 charge does as much damage as a gauss round.

Offline Marlin

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +16/-15
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »
Welcome. With your inherent knowledge, you will be a MechAce in no time. Hope to see you around.
Watch "Save the Supers" you will get some laughs in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvc6E-Wjbo

Should I ever be listed at the top of my team, then we have a serious problem.

Offline RazgrizBSG27

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 09:42:42 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone , I'll see you in field!

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 01:55:41 AM »
Well it's certainly been fun on the training server! It's fun to be able to just take out anything and learn how to drive it.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 03:44:03 AM »
Well it's certainly been fun on the training server! It's fun to be able to just take out anything and learn how to drive it.
Yep, it's really funny. No competition, only fun, on this server! It's a game, after all  :D
Oh, btw, was funny killing you with Fbombs without even aiming at you  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 04:46:20 AM »
That wasn't me! That was Starchild you were killing!