Author Topic: MWLL Mentioned in Wingman's Hangar - Welcome New Players  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
MWLL Mentioned in Wingman's Hangar - Welcome New Players
« on: August 10, 2013, 04:38:49 PM »
For those of you who don't know, Chris Roberts is making a new space combat game that is entirely crowdfunded. Part of shtick is to keep their playerbase in the loop with a weekly series called Wingman's Hangar, which is hosted by Eric Peterson. He recently did a segment called "Wingman's Nose Cam" where he went through their Austin Texas office, and some guys from Crytek were there. Among them was Sean Tracy (Tracey?), who I guess is either Criminal or Kamikaze. Eric Peterson seems to be a big fan of MWLL and brought it up to Sean, complimenting it heartily. Well in a situation like this, Sean didn't have much choice but to plug the mod. So we might be getting new players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wskLihLMTs

To new players:

Hi guys. Knightcrawler here. You might be a little confused as to the state of this mod. First of all, it's a mod for Crysis Wars, which is the multiplayer component of Crysis Warhead. However, it is not entirely necessary to have Crysis Warhead to play the game; the demo of Crysis Wars is enough depending on the server you choose to join when playing a game. But probably all of the servers right now do not require the full version. If you go to the Community Created Content board, you can download a combined installer of the Crysis Wars demo and Crysis Warhead. If you do want to play with the full version, you have to get your CD Key authorized if you haven't done so before. This normally wouldn't be very simple (especially with Steam) as Crysis Wars is a dying game now, but there is a great and simple tool developed to help with this that I will link below. With GameSpy down, it can be a little tough to make a new GameSpy account if you don't already have one, but it's possible. If you need help, do a forum search or ask for help somewhere.

Development of the game has been officially closed. Wandering Samurai Studios actually had (still does, technically) a non-commercial license to develop MWLL from Microsoft. Most mods normally just go ahead with development and nobody bothers them about it, but Wandering Samurai wanted nothing to stand in their way. After a delay or two, a beta of the game was released and everyone loved it. It won tons of awards and the hearts of many people. Updates to the beta came and improved the game by leaps and bounds, and high-quality community maps eventually started coming out, too. A few years later, Piranha started development of MWO. At a certain point, there was a unsubstantiated rumor that Piranha required Wandering Samurai cease development of the game within one year. One year later (give or take a month), the game's development was put to a halt by a vague order from Criminal and Kamikaze. They were the ones who the non-commercial license had been signed to, so they have the power to do so.

Development was accelerated to bring in new features, maps, and mechs before the deadline. A lot of good work was done, such as the IS getting a good, fast medium mech. And then there's the beautiful TC_Altay map! Tons of other stuff, of course! Lots of good stuff, but unfortunately some bad stuff too. The new HUD is too cluttered for mechs, the internals system is only part-way completed, TC_Altay wasn't streamlined as much as it should have been, a lot of units didn't make the cut (such as two heavy battle armor, the Phalanx and Corona), C8 (sticky bombs) now do not stick to vehicles to sidestep a bug, *severely* gimping battle armor against them, a lot of music didn't make it into the game, a lot of features such as mechlab which was being worked on for years, etc..

However, it is possible that development could resume one day if certain circumstances come to pass. Community maps can still be developed, and there are a few unexplored avenues in terms of this which could be fun. Even with all this, though, MWLL is in many of our opinions a far superior game to MWO. Its graphics aren't at the same level, but the game is designed much better in ways that MWO won't match no matter how much development time they get.

Many veteran players have left for MWO to take advantage of the larger player base and the persistent "universe," and many have left for other games. Sometimes there won't be any players on and I admit that I don't play as often as I should. But it's a beautiful game and it's free, so enjoy. :D

If anyone needs training and they see me on in a game, I'd be more than happy to hop into an empty server for some 1-on-1 training. Many other vets will do the same. If you don't see me in game, but really want training, go ahead and PM me through here and we can set something up. Oh, and community maps are more than worth the time it takes for the autodownloader to download them, which isn't that long.

Combined Installer:

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,19022.0.html

CD Key Authorizer, "CryHammer":

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,17421.0.html

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
Re: MWLL Mentioned in Wingman's Hangar - Welcome New Players
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »
Sean = Crim
Dan = Kami

Dan actually works there beside Chris Robers as Senior Technical Designer and Crim still works at Crytek selling licenses and stuff so MWLL lives on vicariously through Star Citizen.

The more you know!

"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline ELH_Sudibor

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-8
    • Eridani Light Horse
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 11:15:52 PM »
However, it is possible that development could resume one day if certain circumstances come to pass.

What conditions are required to resume development of my favorite game MWLL?
NBT-HC ELH

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 12:36:19 AM »
However, it is possible that development could resume one day if certain circumstances come to pass.

MWO ceasing development.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 03:25:00 AM »
Hehehehe.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 04:58:59 AM »

MWO ceasing development.

Shit, that don't seem so far-fetched these days, does it. :) :)

Was wondering when someone would comment on the shout out.

Has anyone started a MWLL thread over at Star Citizen yet?  Heck most will just be sitting around waiting to play for a year and then some.  The Hangar won't be that captivating.  We could get a good little revival going.  Too bad Warhead is still $20 bucks on Steam, what's up with that?

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Humbug

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 05:11:12 AM »
Too bad Warhead is still $20 bucks on Steam, what's up with that?

Well, you can still use the crysis wars trial, no?
AKA MechGyver in game. Building cheap mechs with gum, a paper clip and a straw.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 05:19:12 AM »
Too bad Warhead is still $20 bucks on Steam, what's up with that?

Well, you can still use the crysis wars trial, no?

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 06:16:33 AM »
Last I checked the Official servers were still running the security check, but almost all the others I've tried have been running with it off.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »
Last I checked the Official servers were still running the security check, but almost all the others I've tried have been running with it off.
The 3 CJW Funboxes (Germany) and the Official Training Centre (Italy) aren't running the cd-key check.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
Oh wow, thanks for the info KnightCrawler/Defender. Makes me want to throw even MORE money at Star Citizen.

Offline Alexander

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 03:01:59 PM »
Not exactly a new player here, but turning back up after the relentless casualisation of MWO.

Piranha required Wandering Samurai cease development of the game within one year.

Wait, maybe I missed something, but why is that? And why did Wandering Samurai listen? I wouldn't have thought a small mod-development team were beholden to a company like Piranha >_>
"Don't take life seriously, it's not like you're getting out alive."

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 04:03:01 PM »
Not exactly a new player here, but turning back up after the relentless casualisation of MWO.

Piranha required Wandering Samurai cease development of the game within one year.

Wait, maybe I missed something, but why is that? And why did Wandering Samurai listen? I wouldn't have thought a small mod-development team were beholden to a company like Piranha >_>

Well they do both work for Crytek, and Piranha using Cryengine for their game could certainly make the business relationships strained....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:09:40 PM by SJ SCL Wolf »
My milk shakes!

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 06:14:32 PM »

speculation. the only real facts that have been revealed to the public from Crim/Kaze are they "got what they wanted out of MWLL" so they officially shut down development.

The stuff from the other MWLL devs doesn't paint a rosy picture but there was never a formal C&D ordered.

Offline Xesle

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +84/-19
  • Git gud scrubs
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 07:00:59 PM »
the only real facts that have been revealed to the public from Crim/Kaze are they "got what they wanted out of MWLL" so they officially shut down development.

Yeah, the mod landed them their fancy jobs at crytek, so once they got ahold of that to hell with what got them there and everyone they worked with in the process, right?

Prodigal son my ass.