Author Topic: Release of Sannyasi's .cry files  (Read 7612 times)

Offline [MPB]OM_Sannyasi

• Senior Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-1
  • Settin standards for paid MW:O employees since 08'
Release of Sannyasi's .cry files
« on: August 26, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »
Hello folks! I have a new exciting release of my own and an exciting release for MW:LL itself. I'll keep this short and simple; I was only going to release a couple of my level's cry files eventually but I decided to release EVERY level that I was the lead on. I hope to find some neat modifications of these levels, and hopefully the level designers that are still around can improve any flaws that were overlooked during testing.

I'll add that I am still using the engine but I've moved on to the CryEngine free SDK and no longer mod, I am an indie designer now. I'm still quite knowledgeable about CE:2 and MW:LL though and would be happy to answer any questions that you may have via PM, Just check the contacts here: http://www.windowsofamind.com/?p=940

And most importantly, the download link! http://windowsofamind.com/Downloads/cry_files.rar

to use these, just drop them into your 'mwll/Game/Levels/Multiplayer' directory- you should have all the textures and .mtl files already if you have the mwll mod. If there's any trouble just post here and I'll fix the directions and anything that may be wrong.

NOTE: these are a few builds before the 7.0 and you likely will not be able to play on servers if you overwrite your existing levels, you can rename them and/or put them anywhere in your levels folder- they should still load up fine in the editor doing that.

Levels included

TSA-
Marshes
Thuder Rift
Inferno

TC-
Marshes
Thunder Rift
Inferno
Kagoshima
Taiga

I also did a lot of work on many other levels but since I wasn't the original artist on those projects I'm unable to release them.

ENJOY!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:42:14 AM by [MPB]OM_Sannyasi »

I make people earn their checks ;)

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
Re: Release of Sannyasi's .cry files
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »
NICE!
12th Vegan Rangers - Missile spam is the best kind of spam!

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »
Good!

And if you have old-style TSA_Thunder Rift ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oGwwCk302is#t=51 (with 1 minute) : )

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:40:40 PM »
Kagoshima best map forever.

Offline Rajveer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:13:11 PM »
Kagoshima best map forever.

This so many times, my favourite MWLL map! Thanks Sannyasi!

Offline [MPB]OM_Sannyasi

• Senior Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:58:14 AM »
Both versions of Thunder Rift are up but if you're refering to the version with the bridge on the side that everyone piled up on that version is long gone. You can always remake it though! wouldn't be too much work.

Thanks on Kagoshima! I somehow built that whole map in under two months. Taiga I spent a year on but I didn't work on it every day, and I still didn't get it as finished as I'd liked.

If you guys do any editing on the levels please post screenies and/or vids here- would love to see what you folks come up with!

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:19:55 AM »
Oh cool! :) Some of these maps have features I was interested in checking out that might teach me some things I need to know for making maps (if I ever finish any), so this is a nice treat. :)

Offline Cik

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-2
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 07:28:44 AM »
very generous, thank you.

Offline ELH_KillThemALL

• Alphatester
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
  • Eridani Light Horse
    • Eridani Light Horse
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 04:50:17 PM »
Btw, Sannyasi, have u got cry.file for old Extremity map?

Pubs are boring! Twinkletoes
Fundrops are fun!
Planetary League will makes me into ecstasy!

Offline [MPB]OM_Sannyasi

• Senior Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 01:21:30 AM »
I can't release that one since I didn't create it, sorry.

Offline KorJax

• Level Design (Reader of Stickies)
  • MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-2
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 06:31:29 AM »
Btw, Sannyasi, have u got cry.file for old Extremity map?

Long since gone, sadly.

Wish I still had the original version from before initial release. It had a few issues with it but IMO it played much better than the extremity you guys got on release, was much more fleshed out. Instead of releasing what we did I would have much rather preferred extremity be released later on with a ton of tweaks done to the original design. You can see glimpses of it in the "Walking With Giants" video we did.

Extremity just mostly makes me sad because of all the hard work we put into the awesome skybox, getting it to rotate, getting the ice melts to happen, etc. It was such a cool concept of a map with all these cool things in it that were only in Extremity, but ended up never being played on because of the sudden stripping the map had on release and it simply wasn't fun to play on.

Fun fact: we also experimented making extremity a 360 degree map, where you could fly around the asteroid in an ASF. Never ended up getting that to work properly though, because turns out the game engine stops tracking projectiles and stuff outside of the map borders.

Offline [MPB]OM_Sannyasi

• Senior Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 07:11:14 AM »
Ya, I really liked the version before our original release, why were those massive changes ever even made to it?

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »
Despite how visually appealing the map was, it seemed like no matter what iteration we played, you could always just shoot the enemy base from the other base. Even when we built up the terrain to avoid such things, the map was always abysmally small and turned into a very shallow slugfest. Also, in the first version, all the green crystals were physical and the terrain made driving anything but a mech an epic seizure away from insanity as getting stuck on everything possible was the norm.

Extremity failed because it was like that gorgeous chick with daddy issues and the IQ of a potato.
Fun for a one-night stand, but held no real longevity due to a plethora of baggage and issues.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline KorJax

• Level Design (Reader of Stickies)
  • MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-2
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »
Yeah, the original extremity had bad issues for sure that needed addressed. I just feel like the map would have been much better off with it not releasing on the first beta release of MWLL and instead improving and fixing that orignial design instead of doing what we did instead (strip the map out, re-do it in 3 days, get left with an ugly barren landscape that was confusing and not that fun to play on). I just felt that old extremity was more fun and less bothersome to play on than the extremity that made it into release, even if it wasn't in a releasable state at the time of the mod launch.

Then again, extremity was what... remade like 4 times? The way way orignial version concepted before I even hopped on was made for a game mode that no longer exists and before the mod had even an established sense of scale AFAIK. If we were to do it right, from the very beginning, it would have been better to just make a completely different map but still use the same concept and theme behind it (purple, astroid, crater). Kind of like how Scortched, a very pretty and cool map ended up being reincarnated as TC_DeathValley, by and large a completely different map with the same style and theme.

Ah well, hindsight is always 20/20 :P It still looks cool at least!

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Level Design/Enviromental artist
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 08:35:24 PM »
Yeah, the original extremity had bad issues for sure that needed addressed. I just feel like the map would have been much better off with it not releasing on the first beta release of MWLL and instead improving and fixing that orignial design instead of doing what we did instead (strip the map out, re-do it in 3 days, get left with an ugly barren landscape that was confusing and not that fun to play on). I just felt that old extremity was more fun and less bothersome to play on than the extremity that made it into release, even if it wasn't in a releasable state at the time of the mod launch.

Then again, extremity was what... remade like 4 times? The way way orignial version concepted before I even hopped on was made for a game mode that no longer exists and before the mod had even an established sense of scale AFAIK. If we were to do it right, from the very beginning, it would have been better to just make a completely different map but still use the same concept and theme behind it (purple, astroid, crater). Kind of like how Scortched, a very pretty and cool map ended up being reincarnated as TC_DeathValley, by and large a completely different map with the same style and theme.

Ah well, hindsight is always 20/20 :P It still looks cool at least!

Yeah I'm not sure that completely remaking Extremity was a good idea, I liked the original pre-release design better.  It just needed to be made bigger and with perhaps some contrast.
And yes I think it was at least 4 times.  I think it also suffered from any real theme or direction beyond the initial asethetics.  Actually a lot of our maps had/have that problem since most of us are amateurs and don't really plan very far ahead.  Me included, I'm still working on my first map fully authored by me!  None the less Extremity is still a cool portfolio piece regardless, as long as HR doesn't play it!

And if someone mentions Cold Steel I'm going to hack them (actually the map I'm working on still is based off the old Cold Steel terrain, so that's what happened to it.  I'll post some update stuff soon I think.

+Level Designer!