Author Topic: Why were ASF so rare in battletech?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
Why were ASF so rare in battletech?
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:09:21 PM »
So very random question, why were ASF so rare? Just in terms of pwning mechs with air support and cost you'd think the great powers would deploy a lot more ASF.  Also considering they were used in both air and space optimally, (seriously, mechs in space was cool in concept but "reality" really dumb) you'd think they'd deploy more.

Offline Cik

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-2
Re: Why were ASF so rare in battletech?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:05:06 PM »
conventional aircraft were deployed in great numbers. ASFs were deployed in about the same number as 'mechs, and for the same reason: fusion engines are difficult to manufacture and very expensive.

conventional aircraft (basically air-intake engines like modern jets) with a lighter weapons load are EVERYWHERE, and for the same reason that modern jets exist: because they are extremely useful in a war.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »
He's lying to you, the real answer has something to do with 91/11.

But that's a Comstar conspiracy.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 04:41:47 AM »
I can only imagine because "and then the enemy aerospace flew over and we all blew up" would be a boring way for every battle to play out.

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Cik

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-2
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 05:31:09 AM »
I can only imagine because "and then the enemy aerospace flew over and we all blew up" would be a boring way for every battle to play out.

total air supremacy does win battles. it happens rarely though, because of how equal the houses were for a very long time.

Offline Alpha_Zulu_Tango

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-6
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 01:52:39 PM »
I understood that in CBT howers, tanks, aeros and vtols take critical hits (really crippling ones such as crew stunned, immobilized etc) from sneezing so that is how mechs rule the battlefields. With alternate (no crits through armour) rules things change dramatically.

Also as said it would be really boring have cbt battles fought "like real", massive overhelming firepower from way afar=NAC40 ripping from orbit etc.
Aka =Z= AZT

Contact person of Zeta Battalion. Kaikki suomalaiset tervetuloa!

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »
hmm, see this was the one thing that never worked for me. It never made sense how battlemechs became the dominant force in the universe.

In theory mechs make the best sense in a defensive role holding territories. In most other cases like disrupting supply lines, destroying static defenses, are suppressing grouped units, Air Power just makes more sense.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 05:27:22 PM »
hmm, see this was the one thing that never worked for me. It never made sense how battlemechs became the dominant force in the universe.

In theory mechs make the best sense in a defensive role holding territories. In most other cases like disrupting supply lines, destroying static defenses, are suppressing grouped units, Air Power just makes more sense.

LOL PLANETARY RULES AERO CANT HOLD GROUND :D
My milk shakes!

Offline Pentence

• Apprentice Dev
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-0
    • My deviant page
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »
THREAD NECROMANCY! .....why you aks BECAUSE ...i have picked up BT again and have noticed this too in fluff.

SImple answer is mechs are tougher than other vehicles . They take longer to destroy due to the fact that they are infact more organic in design than conventional war machines. An organic design allowed for more redundancy in components and using myomer prevent some damage from crippling system as the fibers can be half destroyed YET retain enough strength ( albeit with more heat caused) to continue a work load.

naturally thats all the fluffy reasons the flip side is this vehicles have separate rules from mechs regarding everything for crits and what not. Also in my armies i am currently utilizing a LAM with 2 conventional fighters and 2 aer space fighters along with way mroe tanks than mechs....they area poor merc group so alas keeps my cost down but gives me plenty of places to mount big guns. Also bombing and strafing runs ROCK.
"the visionaries work goes unoted unto death"~

Offline 9erRed

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »
Greetings all,

Considering that most ASF are in the range of 70 to 90 tons, that's a very large element to provide service and landing areas for, also the support areas must be guarded and protected, taking away resources from tracked and legged elements. ASF's are not as maneuverable as standard aero fight's but more heavily armoured and armed. The ASF's would normally be a Regimental or Corp asset and mainly used for DropShip protection during assent and descent where they are much more vulnerable. (as well as the normal Jump ship protection duties)

There are canon stories where mechs do fight ASF's, but any fast air vehicle requiring precise aiming (as we have in this game) normally requires straight runs, and that's where the mech's and tracks bring there quad AC5's and AC2's for specifically that purpose. In this game if your not paying attention, even LRM's will track the ASF and hit. Have seen many times, once a ASF is identified to be "up and about" the pilots quickly bring out the AAA elements.

Just talking out loud here,
9erRed