Author Topic: New gaming laptop (with bias)  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
New gaming laptop (with bias)
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
So my old ASUS G51JX recently had its longtime heat issues come to a head when its GPU decided to quit.

It still works, but only on integrated graphics... which just makes it sadder.

So i am now in the market for a new laptop. Id consider a desktop if the sun fell on me so count it out for now.

I do have a good deal that i can take advantage of at Lenovo (20-30% discount) so its a pretty heavy bias already. Ive checked out ASUS R.O.G. offerings but they seem less attractive than they did 4 years ago to me.

So any suggestions for other companies, fellow laptop warriors?

and if someone says Macintosh they get my personal attention when i play next time.
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
Re: New gaming laptop (with bias)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:37:58 PM »
Id consider a desktop if the sun fell on me so count it out for now.

I'm not familiar with this colloquialism.

Unless you're saying you'd never ever forever never consider a desktop? Some part of me assumes you could get a comparatively powerful one for cheaper than a laptop (however, I have no strong basis for this assumption).

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 12:04:31 AM »
at this present time i have neither the space nor the time for lugging around a desktop to friends houses, around my own house, or to lan parties.

there.
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 01:07:02 AM »
Fair 'nuff. ;D

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 02:04:32 AM »
The Lenovo Y510p is a pretty good choice, especially if you can get it with a decent discount. The single GT750M GDDR5 version is reasonably priced and gets about 5 hours on battery at idle. The dual GT750M SLI version is a couple hundred more but quite the performer for things that can run with SLI, getting it into the GT765 range of performance.

The Clevo W350ST base machines are quite impressive as well and come with GT765M GPUs  Note that from xotic windows is an OPTION so be sure to add that to the order if you need it.

The Asus N550JV is a DDR3 GT750M so not quite as good as the Lenovo but a little better put together and a much better sound system.

All three come with quite nice 1080p screens and the Lenovo and Asus have backlit keyboards.

If you want to go whole hog into gaming rigs look at the higher end stuff on xotic PC to get an idea. MSIs tend to be good value for money but are kind cheap feeling to me. Cooling wise the Lenovo, Asus and Clevo are all better than most MSIs. MSIs tend to make a LOT of heat and not exhaust it all that well. The Asus G75 series has excellent cooling but is a mediocre performer for it's price point.

My eldest son has a Lenovo Y500 with dual GT650Ms (GDDR5) And I own both an Asus N56VZ w/ a GT650M (DDR3) And an N56DP AMD 7730M machine. The N56DP is about the minimum to play MWLL fluidly and you'll have all the settings lowered and may have to run in 1600x900 for good frame rates on Enchaldas. The LEnovo and N56VZ are both 45+ fps on most maps and 30+ on the rest for me, at 1080p and either minimum or medium settings.

If you want more in depth reviews and recommendations from folks who do this all the time, go to http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-notebook-should-i-buy/ and fill out the sticky at the top.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »
at this present time i have neither the space nor the time for lugging around a desktop to friends houses, around my own house, or to lan parties.

there.

There are cases that are built specifically with this in mind and personally I would suggest a desktop over a laptop at any point.

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 11:38:26 PM »
s'all good bill, i went ahead and bought a laptop just to spite you.

If you are curious, its an MSI :P
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 11:55:34 PM »
Spite sure feels a lot like apathy, it's getting hard to tell these emotions apart.