Author Topic: RogueMek Beta 1 Released  (Read 3895 times)

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
RogueMek Beta 1 Released
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:53:24 PM »
In case any of you guys missed my postings on other BT sites, I present to you:

RogueMek, the roguelike adaptation of BattleTech, is now ready to play!  Its first public release uses 3025 technologies and adheres to a major portion of the classic BattleTech rules.  It is based on a 1/4th CBT turn using a custom Action Point (AP) system to dictate the movement and weapon fire for each mech. It supports all up to date HTML5 compliant browsers and requires a keyboard for play.  Refer to the in game "Controls" menu for all actions available to you.  There is now a How To Play guide that you will find on your way to the game.

Watch the release video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBX4P85o3Lo

Play the game here:
http://minimek.sourceforge.net/

And finally, huge thanks to the MegaMek developers as their resources helped this project immensely, and to my brothers and fellow Blazing Aces for their feedback and alpha play testing.

Happy hunting!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:32:52 PM by (TLL)CapperDeluxe »

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +339/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
Re: RogueMek Beta 1 Released
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:42:39 PM »
Looking forward to trying it out.

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 05:17:29 AM »
Holy sh#t that's a lot of mechs
In a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »
Does the pure white of the default theme hurt anyone else's eyes? if you you should probably make the default theme something that's a little more forgiving.
12th Vegan Rangers - Missile spam is the best kind of spam!

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »
Very nice...first game with a Panter, I forget to target, strolling filly nilly up to the knee of a annahilator and punch it...then looking on the targeting screen and see what i face... :-). Getting busted in 1 volley. I like it.

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »
Here's my critique:

- Tested this on my main computer (good CPU) and not-so-main computer (Laptop-quality CPU), and it chugs like crazy on the latter machine. I was using Chrome in both cases. This seems like something that I'd rather play on a laptop or something small and reserving my state-of-the-art machine for more intense stuff, but if it runs like this, what's the point?

- Crashes like crazy with Chrome, dunno about other browsers. I'll come back to you as to the causes of this.

- As stated above I found most of the themes, esp. the default, very bad for myself. You should set the default to something a little more mellow, like CGA Pallete 0.

- More parts of the interface should highlight themselves when something serious occurs. I see this already with the heat bar, but there are a few more examples of where it should be used e.g. the bar for a critically damaged component should turn red, a destroyed weapon should have 'DESTROYED' in big red writing. This applies to your own and your targeted mech.

I really want to love this, and I already do in terms of the gameplay and ASCII style, but I really can't if I cannot go more than a few turns without crashing.

Do you have any larger plans for this? Team deathmatch? Objective-based gameplay? Single player campaign? Multiplayer, as a distant possibility?

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-5
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »
Only played one game for now, but I had no issues with crashes in Opera, maybe Chrome doesn't like HTML5 too much?

What I found odd though is that enemies just ignored me and went out of their way to attack each other, even when my Mech was closer and shooting at them.
Maybe due to my Warhammer being the heaviest thing on the field? No clue...

EDIT:
Second game in a Centurion, the King Crab that spawned right next to me started attacking me immediately, there were two more groups of enemies that went right at each other, but an Annihilator that started quite a distance away and close to a Thug (which did attack the Annihilator) just went straight after me.

So what target the enemies choose seems a bit weird...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:25:18 PM by Askis »

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:13:10 PM »
Here's my critique:

- Tested this on my main computer (good CPU) and not-so-main computer (Laptop-quality CPU), and it chugs like crazy on the latter machine. I was using Chrome in both cases. This seems like something that I'd rather play on a laptop or something small and reserving my state-of-the-art machine for more intense stuff, but if it runs like this, what's the point?

- Crashes like crazy with Chrome, dunno about other browsers. I'll come back to you as to the causes of this.

- As stated above I found most of the themes, esp. the default, very bad for myself. You should set the default to something a little more mellow, like CGA Pallete 0.

- More parts of the interface should highlight themselves when something serious occurs. I see this already with the heat bar, but there are a few more examples of where it should be used e.g. the bar for a critically damaged component should turn red, a destroyed weapon should have 'DESTROYED' in big red writing. This applies to your own and your targeted mech.

I really want to love this, and I already do in terms of the gameplay and ASCII style, but I really can't if I cannot go more than a few turns without crashing.

Do you have any larger plans for this? Team deathmatch? Objective-based gameplay? Single player campaign? Multiplayer, as a distant possibility?

I'm currently working on some performance improvements. But currently the best things you can do is use your browser's zoom (CTRL+mouse wheel up) to decrease your resolution (800x600 is minimum), additionally you can press the '-' minus key to decrease the quality of the animations.

not sure about the crashes, I've seen them myself a few times but only really when I've been recording them through FRAPS for a few minutes. If my performance enhancements don't fix the crashes then I'll take some time to reproduce and find fixes. Please try other browsers to see if you can get by for now if the zooming in trick doesn't help.

as for the theme, its all based on taste really, thats why I included so many there. Eventually i'll use some browser caching so you won't have to go pick it again each time you reload/return to the page.

I actually have a TODO to make destruction of bits a bit more apparent on the main screen, I'll be sure to slide it in for the next release!

I'll be putting together a FAQ over the next few days to answer questions about the future of the game.  Without spoiling too much lets say my goal is to make a roguelike equivalent of Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries, with randomly generated missions and maps :)

But no multiplayer is planned, sorry it just wouldn't work since javascript can be hacked directly from your browser and I don't feel like writing up some kind of complex server authoritative system.

Only played one game for now, but I had no issues with crashes in Opera, maybe Chrome doesn't like HTML5 too much?

What I found odd though is that enemies just ignored me and went out of their way to attack each other, even when my Mech was closer and shooting at them.
Maybe due to my Warhammer being the heaviest thing on the field? No clue...

EDIT:
Second game in a Centurion, the King Crab that spawned right next to me started attacking me immediately, there were two more groups of enemies that went right at each other, but an Annihilator that started quite a distance away and close to a Thug (which did attack the Annihilator) just went straight after me.

So what target the enemies choose seems a bit weird...

I actually use Chrome primarily during development and only smoke test IE, and Firefox.  I'm guessing its performance related issues, since I only see crashing when I've got lots going on along with the game (such as FRAPS), though I have a pretty heavy duty gaming rig, so YMMV. 

Since this is my first venture into AI, its certainly far from perfect, but I've essentially gone with trying to make the mech target mechs based on a "weighting" system (not to be confused with mech tonnage).  Basically it considers things like how far away mechs are, how much heavier they are, how damaged they are, whether that mech is targeting it already, and maybe a few others I can't recall off the top of my head. But I do think one of the reasons for some oddities is that it tries to give higher weight to the mech it already has targeted, that way you don't see a bot just constantly switching targets from turn to turn.  Its possible I need to adjust that weighting down a bit.

One goal I have is that if you are a faster mech you may be able to kite a bigger mech to eventually attack another mech (assuming you aren't the last one alive), but I need some tweaks to get there. Another goal would be if lets say you were in a medium mech, and the last two mechs remaining are another light/medium and an assault, that the other light/medium might gang up with you on that assault before turning its guns on you. Just some ideas :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep em coming!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:20:41 PM by (TLL)CapperDeluxe »

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +85/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 01:30:18 AM »
This does sound promising!
Not for me, mind you, i don't like roguelikes, but several of my buddies like both battletech and roguelikes.
I will link them to this.
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:21:40 AM »
Not for me, mind you, i don't like roguelikes,

In particular what don't you like?

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 06:36:34 AM »
This is hardly a roguelike so far. currently it's single-player Megamek with graphics reminiscent of a roguelike. I suppose the roguelike element will eventually come with the inclusion of random generation.

Offline [IPA] Taltos

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-1
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 11:42:37 AM »
Personally, I can't stand the text-only graphics (thank god, I never started playing dwarf fortress). It's 2013, there should be other, more feasible approaches than using ASCII glyphs to do minimal graphics. I think Faster Than Light hit a good balance, and consequently played it pretty heavily for a while.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 01:38:08 PM »
Personally, I can't stand the text-only graphics (thank god, I never started playing dwarf fortress). It's 2013, there should be other, more feasible approaches than using ASCII glyphs to do minimal graphics. I think Faster Than Light hit a good balance, and consequently played it pretty heavily for a while.

I actually do plan to move to sprite graphics using tiles from megamek, I just wanted to start with this style as an homage of sorts, that and it was quicker to produce as a sort of prototype.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 03:33:24 AM »
I've just pushed an update to hopefully fix some of the crashes, and improve performance a bit by making the animations based on time instead of frames (I know I should have done that sooner).  Also I've included some extra UI goodies, such as coloring your bar graph red when armor/internals get down to under 25 percent, and when a weapon is destroyed a red line appears through it (applies to you and your target displays).

My next update probably won't be as quick, as I'm moving on to handling prone mech states, charging, DFA, and trying to make the AI better.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 12:53:35 AM »
I've finalized the DFA/Charging code and its now live! Have fun falling over!