Author Topic: Why use tickets for TSA?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Xesle

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +84/-19
  • Git gud scrubs
Why use tickets for TSA?
« on: September 29, 2013, 05:19:00 AM »
Title pretty much says it, I'm wondering why all the servers nowadays run TSA mode with tickets like in TC mode.  Using tickets in TSA mode encourages players to camp and flee at the first sign of trouble because there's absolutely no consequence for being beaten to within an inch of your life provided you can limp your armless, side-torsoless mech back to the hangar.  When regular points were used, things were more exciting because there was more incentive to stay in combat longer because doing so meant earning more points, earning more cbills, and ranking up faster.  Dying wasn't as big of a deal because if you did well, you were still rewarded regardless. 

I can't remember the last time in a TSA game I saw a come from behind victory because of tickets.  It happens in TC mode because you can use fast shit to control the map, but not in TSA because the winning team can just sit back and minimize their losses while they ride the clock to victory.  With points, a behind team can come back much more easily because even with lights or mediums, they can still poke and harass bigger shit the winning side likely has for tons of points and cbills, allowing them to field assets that can compete. 

Prodigal son my ass.

Offline ELH_MrGray

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-9
Re: Why use tickets for TSA?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 08:05:57 AM »
In nonticket TSA you can win without kills by damage only. It encourages camping even more. Heavy loaded assaults will deliver 90% of damage, single 5min assault will basically deliver all needed damage from extreme distances without any risk. Nonticket based TSA usually is more vulnerable to stomps. And btw all servers were changed to ticket based TSA because community asked for this.

"Do you know what the sound of 2 UAC/20s is?"
"What's it sound like?"
"RAPERAPERAPERAPE."

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 03:21:47 PM »
Yeah, what MrGray said. Score based TSA is completely silly. The only thing that matters in score based TSA is: do damage, avoid being damaged. Nothing else matters. Ticket based TSA provides at least some gameplay depth for TSA.

Offline Xesle

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +84/-19
  • Git gud scrubs
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 06:36:46 PM »
....single 5min assault....

Given that banking is no longer a thing outside of the organized TC matches, this is a pretty moot point.  And also given the changes to the way points are earned, lots of lights shooting an assault would give them far more points than vice versa.

Nonticket based TSA usually is more vulnerable to stomps.

No more so than ticketed TSA from what I've seen.  At least in nonticket TSA stomps the losing side had a chance of making a comeback.  With tickets, if you don't have the firepower to focus and kill an assault or 75 ton heavy, you're screwed plain and simple because you've zero ability whatsoever to reduce the enemy team's tickets. 

Prodigal son my ass.

Offline ELH_MrGray

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-9
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 01:11:05 AM »
In ticket TSA if game is stomp it is fast death for loosing team (deaths -> ticket bleed) instead of 40min unlimited agony.

"Do you know what the sound of 2 UAC/20s is?"
"What's it sound like?"
"RAPERAPERAPERAPE."

Offline =KoS= Saber15

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +181/-2
  • RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 04:06:55 AM »
Ticket-based TSA ends the suffering of TSA even faster.
"Concentrate on the moment, each moment is its own reality. It has a particular thisness. You can't predict, but you can explain. Or try. If you are observant, and lucky, you can say, this is why this is happening! It's very interesting!"