Author Topic: Command and Conquer: Renegade X  (Read 4882 times)

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
Re: Command and Conquer: Renegade X
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »
i liked playing renegade back then. it was loads of fun.
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 01:48:17 AM »
Renegade was the Ego-Shooter.
i think it was . . 98?

Neg, it was 2002.

Whats interesting about Renegade is how early it was in adopting an economy driven battlefield as well as having vehicles before Bf1942 was released.
I believe you could earn money by doing damage like in MWLL but the whole team would get a boost of money every time the harvester made a successful trip.

It was really a remarkable game but had many technical limitations. Ripe for a remake if you ask me, if not in the same setting (i wish) at least with the same concept.
Reminds me of "Tresspasser" an extremely ambitious game based on Jurassic Park around 1998. Played it and loved it as a kid but it was horribly reviewed at the time because of crippling technical problems.
It was sort of a mix between far cry and surgeon simulator... with dinosaurs. A game that also needs a remake with today's technology. fapp zombies, BRING BACK THE DINOSAURS!
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Zaro27

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • Nicest Motherfapper Here
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 06:10:46 PM »
Renegade was the Ego-Shooter.
i think it was . . 98?

Neg, it was 2002.

Whats interesting about Renegade is how early it was in adopting an economy driven battlefield as well as having vehicles before Bf1942 was released.
I believe you could earn money by doing damage like in MWLL but the whole team would get a boost of money every time the harvester made a successful trip.

It was really a remarkable game but had many technical limitations. Ripe for a remake if you ask me, if not in the same setting (i wish) at least with the same concept.
Reminds me of "Tresspasser" an extremely ambitious game based on Jurassic Park around 1998. Played it and loved it as a kid but it was horribly reviewed at the time because of crippling technical problems.
It was sort of a mix between far cry and surgeon simulator... with dinosaurs. A game that also needs a remake with today's technology. fapp zombies, BRING BACK THE DINOSAURS!

http://trespassingpetrolia.com/

You're welcome.
I want to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that won't screw to save it's species. I want to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all those French beaches I'll never see. I want to breathe smoke. I want to destroy something beautiful.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 06:39:03 AM »
Actually I knew about that. My brother is thinking about giving the lead a hand if he wants it, hes always been a big fan of the game.
Hopefully it turns out!

I meant more of a full on AAA remake though.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-23
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 01:09:13 PM »
I like how they staid true to the original 1995 designs of all vehicles and buildings. Nothing beats the Orca gunship.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 12:40:01 AM »
Tried the singleplayer today, Black Dawn...

I'm expecting more fun in the multiplayer.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" Šokaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Mech Daddy

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-54
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 01:36:58 AM »
^Haven't played the single myself, but i've heard it's pretty dull because of the lacking AI.

Offline Mech Daddy

• MechWarrior
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
Just giving a bump because its here.

http://renegade-x.com/download

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 08:54:15 PM »
orly? I thought it was tomorrow.

No matter, downloading!
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Mech Daddy

• MechWarrior
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »
Tested it. Pretty much the Original Renegade, just with upgraded graphics.

Also played the worst map ever, which was like 2 tunnels with no open space etc. EVA sounds like CABAL on NOD, which i digg  :D

Rocket infantry on NOD is OP versus tanks. Tanks can't hit you at all when you bounce around and shoot rockets.

Offline KorJax

• Level Design (Reader of Stickies)
  • MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-2
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 07:12:21 AM »
Really not a fan of this.

Frankly Renegade has aged awfully and they pretty much did a direct port of it instead of making renegade what everyone dreamed it to be. Which ain't great when renegade really wasn't that good compared to stuff like BF. Can't really blame it for the time it came out though, was quite cutting edge back in the day. But they really could have modernized it a bit (and by that I don't mean regenerating health or anything like that).

Still I feel like this was a huge wasted opportunity. I guess I was almost expecting them to make something like Empires, but under the umbrella of C&C and not on the awful source engine so therefore much better (Source engine isn't bad mind you, but for what Empires tried to do it wasn't the ideal engine for it). Instead its pretty much just a graphics revamp, which doesn't really help much when everything else is still stuck in 2002 (bases with zero detail, tiny maps where some of which are more symmetrical than 2fort, movement and shooting physics taken straight from quake but slowed down, etc)

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-23
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
I played the single player campaign and was put off, horrible mission design.

Today, I played the multiplayer version a couple of hours and it was good mindless fun. I might see if there's a clan or something out there for organized play, I liked playing as an Engineer and just running around healing people and tanks. It's a real force multiplier.

Offline Mech Daddy

• MechWarrior
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 09:35:24 PM »
The bad news is, there are hackers already in it. I witnessed a few guys just sprinting from the other side of the map to the other in like 3 seconds to spam nuclear/ion cannon beacons. There are some people complaining about it on the forums, too.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 07:23:30 AM »
Really not a fan of this.

Frankly Renegade has aged awfully and they pretty much did a direct port of it instead of making renegade what everyone dreamed it to be. Which ain't great when renegade really wasn't that good compared to stuff like BF. Can't really blame it for the time it came out though, was quite cutting edge back in the day. But they really could have modernized it a bit (and by that I don't mean regenerating health or anything like that).

Still I feel like this was a huge wasted opportunity. I guess I was almost expecting them to make something like Empires, but under the umbrella of C&C and not on the awful source engine so therefore much better (Source engine isn't bad mind you, but for what Empires tried to do it wasn't the ideal engine for it). Instead its pretty much just a graphics revamp, which doesn't really help much when everything else is still stuck in 2002 (bases with zero detail, tiny maps where some of which are more symmetrical than 2fort, movement and shooting physics taken straight from quake but slowed down, etc)

From what I can tell, their that's exactly what their fan base wanted. I've been playing and... while it is fun, the infantry combat feels so outdated. I am biased though, I cannot stand those kind of shooting mechanics, i never played quake or unreal tournament or tribes or anything where there is rabid run and gunning. I've always prefered Rainbow Six games and (most) battlefield games where there things are much slower and there is serious bullet spread if you try to run and gun beyond anything pointblank.

Its all there, they even have sprint meters and looking down sights, but its useless to do that because it takes 3850839058 bullets to kill anything unless you have the one hit kill railgun snipers which the good players just spam. It has so much potential but it feels nostalgia got the better of the design, something MWLL avoided masterfully I think.

Also, noobs raging about airstrikes. I think its a really cool feature. Just goes to show people will rage about aircraft even if you cant fly them!
Though they do have helicopters too.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:30:13 AM by xInVicTuSx »
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 09:51:29 AM »
If you want to play better gameplay (but unfortunately not better graphics) there is always "Red Alert A Path Beyond". The graphics are crap, and there's almost no player base left. But the allied-soviet pairing is great, and it feels like updated gameplay for Renegade .They've added buildings like the construction yard (repairs all buildings passively), the radar dome (gives you a enemy detector around you), ore silos (constant, but minor credit income), naval yards (yes you get freaking boats), repair pads (for your vehicles, it just subtracts money). You can even buy an ore truck and harvest for you team to bump up your economy beyond what the single AI ore truck does. Spies are useful. They can infiltrate the ore refinery to make all of your enemy's credits public knowledge and all of the other buildings have other effects. Some of the multiplayer levels are mirrors of old Red Alert levels, like the one where the soviets have a credit income and a warfactory while the allies merely have a stockpile of vehicles that cannot be replenished. If the allies can defend their radar dome until time out, then they win, if the soviets can wear down the allies and take out that dome, then they win.
Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html