Author Topic: Elder Scrolls Online?  (Read 5483 times)

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
Re: Elder Scrolls Online?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 07:30:13 AM »
Yeah i'm definately not looking for a "mash hot bar button 1" mmo again.

I like to sum up my thoughts on that system with  "Less Skills, more skill!"

Anyone play the Jedi Academy games?
-> Why can't 'action' MMOs be made from that general idea?

Go play cRPG, a mod for Mount & Blade Warband. 

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Urishima }12thVR{

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-0
  • Abacus
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 10:26:59 AM »
So next big beta coming up. I will give it another go and then formulate my finite opinion.
Ghiest: I suggest trying to control your forum torrettes with copious amounts of weed.

KingLeerUK: Right now playing puretech is like riding a bike without a seat; you're putting yourself through some unnecessary discomfort and everyone else on the trail is looking at you funny.

Bill: You're a massive gay. Let's bum.
Deathbane: Let's.

My Youtube channel filled with MWLL awesomeness!

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 12:54:43 AM »
Free Beta Key are available at curse.com :)

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 09:22:38 AM »

Sir. While I loves me some Mount and Blade... Do not compare the divine elegance of JKA lightsaber combat to the gross barbaric swinging of M&B.
You insult its memory.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-5

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 09:26:26 PM »
Just searched if multiplayer still works in Jedi Academy, and it does. Its like Crysis/MWLL, using GameSpy. You'll find most players in the JA+ and MB2 mods.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/

Yerp...

Well, it’s just… it’s just a bit boring.

So in the end, what you’re left with is just the stuff that you’d usually click through in other MMOs to get to the good bits. The banal conversations, scrambled justifications to have you move from point A to point B. Well, in the opening few hours, at least.

There’s no impact to the combat, and while it shares The Secret World’s cone-of-attack dodging, it feels loose, flimsy and detached, like Elder Scrolls games don’t. Compared to MMOs, it’s regular, uninspired. Compared to the series from which this game spawns, it’s very disappointing.

Playing them, one could put together a rationale why Bethesda have opted for a massive up-front fee of £50 to start playing the game, before a monthly tithe thereafter. Were this to use the far more sensible free-to-start option, before asking for a subscription to carry on, I can imagine a lot of players would feel no desire to open their wallet. However, if you’ve put half a hundred quid down, you’re going to feel pretty determined to keep ploughing through in the hope for more.

Pretty much this echoes my sentiments exactly.
Even if it cost $15mo to play 4+ player Skyrim it would have been more worth the cost than what they've provided. It's like they sat in a room and said "what's the safest way we could spend an exorbitant amount of money on the most formulaic, generic content we can possible unimagine".
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »
What I don't get is why they didn't just stick with "skyrim" and tack a netcode onto the engine, then begin just building more and more "world" around it. That would have been an instant GotY for sure.

Offline Urishima }12thVR{

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-0
  • Abacus
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 12:34:02 AM »
Ok, since the article talks about it:

WTF is going on with this fapping character start? Why the fapp has every character be some sort of special flower (Soul Shriven)? That is not what a bloody MMO is about! Seriously, if you already have warring factions, have the player start as a rookie at the battlefront with loads of NPCs and other new characters. Drive home the fact that this is indeed an MMO and you are only one guy amongst many. It's multiplayer, you will have to play with other people, deal with it or leave!
Then you can have the player get injured and send him back to wherever, so he can start playing on his own.

That makes loads more sense, than the same mage being resuced over and over and over by hundreds of thousands of characters. Seriously, at one point the game tells me that I am 'special', then I turn around and see other 'special' characters hopping around like morons.

'You are the only one who can do this!' my fapping arse. If you need someone choose one of the other 100 morons in this area, because I am going to play something that doesn't bore me to tears.

And the same evening I found out that Star Trek Online is actually pretty fun.

What I don't get is why they didn't just stick with "skyrim" and tack a netcode onto the engine, then begin just building more and more "world" around it. That would have been an instant GotY for sure.

I highy doubt that it would be that easy.
Ghiest: I suggest trying to control your forum torrettes with copious amounts of weed.

KingLeerUK: Right now playing puretech is like riding a bike without a seat; you're putting yourself through some unnecessary discomfort and everyone else on the trail is looking at you funny.

Bill: You're a massive gay. Let's bum.
Deathbane: Let's.

My Youtube channel filled with MWLL awesomeness!

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-5
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 01:00:20 AM »
WTF is going on with this fapping character start? Why the fapp has every character be some sort of special flower (Soul Shriven)? That is not what a bloody MMO is about!

They probably want to emphasize the story, which you can play alone (if you want a 60$+monthly fee single player game) and in SP story based games, people like to feel like they are the only ones that matter, the one who is chosen by the gods or the magical macguffin of awesomeness, while everyone else is a fresh dropout of Stormtrooper Academy.

Have you played SWTOR? With it's class based storylines that thousands of people have done before you, yet YOU make the choice whether disposable character A dies or can send you a thank-you letter with some goodies attached to it later.

It doesn't work for MMOs if you think about it for just a little while, but for some reason both Bioware and Bethesda thought it was worth a try...

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 01:18:59 AM »
Quote from: Grundtal

If this fails, their marketing will say TES is no longer something people want. No new TES game will be made and work will start on a fallout mmo.

Didn't "we" say something similar about MWO?

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »

Sir. While I loves me some Mount and Blade... Do not compare the divine elegance of JKA lightsaber combat to the gross barbaric swinging of M&B.
You insult its memory.

I just meant it was more skill orientated than mash numbkey 1. 

Have you even tried cRPG?  It might give you some ideas on how a league could be done, with our current access to MWLL.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
Okay so... since the game is under NDA, I will NOT tell you guys whether or not I have a beta key. (hint, hint, wink, wink)

And here's what I totally did not experience myself, but only heard rumors of:

-> This is a Elder Scrolls game. WHY THE FECK do I have to chose a 'class' on character creation?
-> Your class is not bound to one weapon type, you can use all weapons. Period.
-> The animations look terribly stiff. Jedi Academy had better animations...
-> Voice acting is pretty bad. Except Jennifer Hale of course. :D
-> It looks nice enough. On par with unmodded Skyrim. My machine can't handle 'high' settings, and there's at least one step higher...
-> I do not agree with the previously linked critic about the game feeling like a WoW clone AT ALL.  It really feels like skyrim online, with some added spells/skills that can be activated with hotkeys. No tab-targetting. You target with your 'crosshair', although a valid target does get highlighted and the spell automatically hits.

I will add more when I notice hear about them.

-I heard rumors about a terrible glitch that prevents players from changing maps. I heard that one particular player has watched the loading screen for over an hour now with no results...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:45:25 PM by ~SJ~ Atlessa »