Author Topic: I'm working on a Lovecraftian isometric turn-based 3D RPG  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-23
Re: I'm working on a Lovecraftian isometric turn-based 3D RPG
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 08:47:01 PM »
Great success!

Today, I toyed around with clothes that can be worn, they are bound to the character's bone struture so they animate with him. This opens up a whole bunch of options regarding variation in character models, as I only have to animate one skeleton for each body type and then I can just re-use the animations if some clothing item is worn on the body. Does this even make any sense? Whatever, I am happy and can now concentrate on making the base body model animation better.

Here's a screenshot of a characcter wearing a blue suit and fedora hat without any textures.

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 01:38:26 AM »
This opens up a whole bunch of options regarding variation in character models, as I only have to animate one skeleton for each body type and then I can just re-use the animations if some clothing item is worn on the body.

You pretty much defined the thought-process behind how we initially implemented mechs. Reuse as many legs as possible.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 04:11:12 AM »
It's really important to me because without a Unity3D Pro license, I have no Inverse Kinematics inside the game engine so I have to make seperate holding, aiming, shooting, post-shooting etc. animations for each weapon (at least those that differ from others in the way they are held and fired), so it's a godsend that I don't have to worry about the same animations for different body models as well. One set of bones is all that needs to be animated (hard enough without mocap ;) )

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 02:35:17 AM »
I am interested in this, keep it up.

Most important thing is to maintain the lovecraftian feel, which goes beyond stylistic choices, it's an atmospheric thing that you'll have to do your hardest to foster.

Remember you're dealing with things utterly beyond our comprehension, potent enough that one fleeting glance is enough to erase the fragile presence a man has upon the intangible space we call our minds and replace it with knowledge beyond comprehension. Only inane rambles escape this mottled shell of a man. That man who once witnessed the deeper truths of the universe, deeper than any mortal being of this insignificant rock has ever gazed before, and paid the price for his folly accordingly. 

So yeah, stuff like that please. 

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 03:55:43 AM »
What he said.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 05:21:03 AM »
I started working on what I call UI 2.0 ;)

The initial version was pretty much a direct copy of the Jagged Alliance 2 UI, but since most people nowadays use widescreen displays, I decided to take advantage of this fact and re-arrange all UI elements so it all takes up less space.

This is what would be the main view, buttons are all placeholders and some aren't even used but I like the general layout. I'm still pondering wether to display each character's weapons under his or her portrait, although that would use up a lot more space.

Image is at 50 % size.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 07:47:39 AM »
It looks good, but I would suggest a more.. 20's feel to it if you understand my meaning.

However I'm glad to see updates on this, if you'd like someone to criticise you endlessly and to make infeasible suggestions towards what should happen I'm your guy (I'm not really that bad and have worked on mods/indie games before my nigga).

Keep it up pisswad!

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 04:48:00 AM »
Another very productive week, major milestones achieved:

- Re-did the complete GUI and associated scripts, it was a PITA to work with 2-dimensional arrays which aren't visible in the inspector. Now I have a custom class that handles item storage, and I can always see what a character carries.

- Made some changes to the GUI graphics & layout, still no "20s feel" but more effective use of screen space. The minimap portion to the right is still a little blocky, I might put it in the upper left corner above the hand slots console and/or maybe eliminate the space for the buttons below it.

Here's a screenshot

- A container script that is accessed when the associated game object is interacted with. I made a simple sarcophagus for my crypt and animated the top slab so it open and closes when a character searches it. If it's not locked, a GUI window opens that shows the contens, which can then dragged & dropped into the inventory. Sounds simple and like something every other game has, but having to do it from scratch isn't really that easy :D

On the ToDo list for the near future :

1. Custom item class that stores all needed values for each item type and sub-type (I have never worked with classes, so hooray for new horizons!).

2. Repairing the AI script, it's currently broken :(

3. Animations for the male model

4. Female model and it's animations

5. Clothing items (body + head) that can  be put in the two dedicated inventory slots and be visible on the character

6. Flashlight and lantern items that can be held in one of the hand slots and increase the viewing distance (and probably also make enemies spot the character faster!)

7. Re-do the noise/stealth system, which is kinda broken as well

8. Re-do the global messaging system

9. Re-do hit effects (need moar gore)

10. Simple dialogue (more like monologue) system

So long.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 04:49:41 AM »
Looking decent.