Author Topic: Setting server up NAT  (Read 1799 times)

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
Setting server up NAT
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:19:04 AM »
Question: "What needs to configure the router to run the server (IP 192.168.xx) from under NAT".

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
Re: Setting server up NAT
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:54:04 AM »
In general terms, make it so that the public IP you get from your ISP points to the private IP of your PC that the router gives you. And configuring that would depend from router to router. Search for a DMZ setting or Default Server thing on your router, or look on the internet/manual how you could accomplish that with your router.

I think it wouldn't work otherwise for hosting a server and people being able to join it, but it could as well do since gamespy works around NAT in some degree.

Then, make sure these ports are open: http://www.crydev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Crysis_Wars_Server_Documentation&oldid=21025#Game_Port.28s.29 (and block 29910 UDP if you want a no CD-Key check server)
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" Šokaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 11:06:59 AM »
It might be called something like Port Forwarding in your router. (NOT port MAPPING, found that out the hard way)

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 03:26:49 PM »
Nothing. Gayspy handles NAT properly. No ports need to be forwarded.

You will however not be able to see the server's ping if it's behind a NAT. DMZ might help, but it defeats half the point of having NAT.
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:01:53 PM »
Which exactly ports you are forwarding ( opening ) on the PC ?

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 01:44:27 AM »
Which exactly ports you are forwarding ( opening ) on the PC ?
Game client doesn't need port forwarding. Just open the game and connect to a server. If you get timeout to a specific server, try to ping the server address using command prompt. If that address is unreachable, then there could be some routing problems outside your network, or some ISP blocks.

Server hosters, instead, need to port forward the same port as specified in "sv_port" parameter (usually 64100 or 64097), set in server.cfg

If they want to enable remote management, they should also port forward the port specified in "rcon_startserver port:" parameter. (use "http_startserver port:" if you want to use Str1k3r's rCon tool),

Server admin can decide both ports editing server.cfg

I'm hosting 2 servers behind a NAT, only thing I did is to port forward just 2 ports (+ 2 for rcon management) and the only problem I got is that some people just can't connect. But that is only because of ISP blocks AFAIK. Nothing I can do.