Author Topic: Star Citizen Fans! Attention please!  (Read 12627 times)

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
Re: Star Citizen Fans! Attention please!
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 08:24:51 PM »
12thVR are an organization as well, started by Uri.  And yes we are planning on being the more militaristic/merc 'sister org' of Project Ronin. 

We were looking into having just one org, but the thought of a "Sister" org and having a different focus was just to much. The plan as it stands right now is to have dual memberships for those that want it and to work together when needed. IF, and I can't stress that enough, CIG gets it right this will be the biggest and most successful game of our life time. If they don't get it right it will be the best damn space sim ever!
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +339/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 03:23:45 AM »
I'm honestly amazed at how easily you're all getting suckered into this.

I am extremely dubious at the end result of this project, too many goals, too small a development window and frankly, generating far, far too much hype.

As far as a lot people are concerned this is the second coming of christ and I don't get it at all.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the genre. I've played most of the classics of the late 80's into the 90's. But that's the thing, I would be happy with that again.

I don't need X:Eve Online: We've got no end game, so grind for marginally better scanners and lasers and have such a constricted economy that no one wants to take the risk of starting a war because they're lose their real world investment into a virtual space ship...

I mean if people had donate this amount of money to NASA or the European Space Agency... but no, that carrots going to dangle, so giddie up lil'mule.

I would personally prefer a rounded story driven game, taking place in a huge X like universe, but it just feels better. As good as X is it doesn't get human interaction well as has been swiftly proven by the release of X Rebirth... I want this rather than this latest trend/buzzword in gaming "massively multiplayer" those memories of world or war craft are still lingering to this place, it's hell and it's going to stick it's dick into another genre of games that I enjoy/love.

Offline Urishima }12thVR{

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-0
  • Abacus
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »
I mean if people had donate this amount of money to NASA or the European Space Agency... but no, that carrots going to dangle, so giddie up lil'mule.

That's bullshit and you know it. It's the same argument I see people bring up when they argue against charities like 'Child's Play', saying that people should donate to cancer research instead.

Listen, the money that people want to donate to NASA or ESA is going to end up there regardless. People would not have given more money to them if Star Citizen had never existed and I highly doubt that you can prove that they are right now getting less money simply because Star Citizen is a thing, so kindly take that argument and flush it down the toilet please.
Ghiest: I suggest trying to control your forum torrettes with copious amounts of weed.

KingLeerUK: Right now playing puretech is like riding a bike without a seat; you're putting yourself through some unnecessary discomfort and everyone else on the trail is looking at you funny.

Bill: You're a massive gay. Let's bum.
Deathbane: Let's.

My Youtube channel filled with MWLL awesomeness!

Offline cyofee

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +71/-61
    • cyofee
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 01:25:53 PM »
I'm honestly amazed at how easily you're all getting suckered into this.

I am extremely dubious at the end result of this project, too many goals, too small a development window and frankly, generating far, far too much hype.

As far as a lot people are concerned this is the second coming of christ and I don't get it at all.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the genre. I've played most of the classics of the late 80's into the 90's. But that's the thing, I would be happy with that again.

I don't need X:Eve Online: We've got no end game, so grind for marginally better scanners and lasers and have such a constricted economy that no one wants to take the risk of starting a war because they're lose their real world investment into a virtual space ship...

I would personally prefer a rounded story driven game, taking place in a huge X like universe, but it just feels better. As good as X is it doesn't get human interaction well as has been swiftly proven by the release of X Rebirth... I want this rather than this latest trend/buzzword in gaming "massively multiplayer" those memories of world or war craft are still lingering to this place, it's hell and it's going to stick it's dick into another genre of games that I enjoy/love.
no-life nerds are easy to manipulate, news at 11

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 02:24:32 PM »

That's bullshit and you know it. It's the same argument I see people bring up when they argue against charities like 'Child's Play', saying that people should donate to cancer research instead.

Listen, the money that people want to donate to NASA or ESA is going to end up there regardless. People would not have given more money to them if Star Citizen had never existed and I highly doubt that you can prove that they are right now getting less money simply because Star Citizen is a thing, so kindly take that argument and flush it down the toilet please.

You're Bill, I never expected you to get it.
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

• Lance Sergeant
  • Abacus
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »

You're Bill, I never expected you to get it.

I beg your pardon?
Ghiest: I suggest trying to control your forum torrettes with copious amounts of weed.

KingLeerUK: Right now playing puretech is like riding a bike without a seat; you're putting yourself through some unnecessary discomfort and everyone else on the trail is looking at you funny.

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 03:01:40 PM »
[...] I highly doubt that you can prove that they are right now getting less money simply because Star Citizen is a thing [...]

And he never even said that. I understand that something you like is being verbally molested, but reading comprehension brah.

• Lance Sergeant
  • Abacus
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »
[...] I highly doubt that you can prove that they are right now getting less money simply because Star Citizen is a thing [...]

And he never even said that. I understand that something you like is being verbally molested, but reading comprehension brah.

His criticism is solid as a granite wall, except for the one that I quoted. I wasn't lamenting his 'molestation' of Star Citizen, I was criticising this one argument he brought to the table and nothing else. That he didn't say 'NASA is getting less money because of Star Citizen' doesn't matter, because 9 times out of 10 when someone uses that argument, THAT is what they imply. I had had this sort of argument countless times online and offline (mostly with very ignorant/narrow-minded people) and that was usually what it boiled down to.
Bill probably didn't mean to imply it, I think he is way to smart for that, but most people do.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 04:27:54 PM »
It wasn't my point, it's kinda cute you thought it was, then re-negged on it by calling me smart (for which I thank you, I don't often receive many ego-points that I don't provide myself). My point is that it would be better spent on those two than another over hyped disappointment factory, or even a video game in general. Please spare me your pariah's cries of how it's your money and you're free to do whatever you want with it, I'm obviously aware of that. My problem is that people are more interested in getting a shiny twenty minute distraction for the one time small payment of, what is it now? 35 million USD?, than investing into programs that will benefit us all as a species.

I would love to be proven wrong on this one, but as my erstwhile college Cyofee pointed out, the stereotype exists for a reason and that just makes me sad. It makes me wonder just how easy it would be to do something like this and just cut and run. Hell I wouldn't even need to do that, I could just deliver a terrible product and watch people fight over how it's still amazing and that other people don't understand (I wonder what franchise I could be talking about there, answers on the back of a postcard kids!)

I guess I forgot the fundamental truth, being interested in science (or insert whatever term you want here) doesn't nessicarily make you intelligent (which is a term I dislike using as I don't like the current definition and use of it).  Now that's not meant to be a personal attack on any of you, more a reflection on how all this nonsense has become a lot more culturally acceptable and widespread since my youth, well not so much, more so how people have realised that there's a lovely demographic of gullible people who think being marketed towards makes them unique and special to exploit.

A lovely example of which is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehhqcx8V4K0, or rather what this satire is based upon. Or the whole "gaming fuel" bullshit from Mountain Dew, or a thousand other things. They're harbouring the idea that liking certain things makes you somehow special so they can sell you pieces of plastic and reformed corn. This fucking world we've allowed to be created for us, honestly..

Also Uri, if you gave me enough time and hyperbole, I could prove that your dick is responsible for the ecological event that resulted in the destruction of Egypt's Old Kingdom as well as most, if not all, of the near east civilisations of the time.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:21:42 PM by Bill »

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 10:52:48 PM »
That reminds me of the other day when I was reading up on the James Webb Space Telescope, and how its' funding was nearly cancelled a few years ago the by US Congress after 3 billion(GASP) had been spent. The USA spends tens of billions of dollars on the stupidest shit imaginable yet they were concerned about hubble's successor going over budget more or less the exact same amount hubble itself did?
Pretty sure hubble was worth it....

Anyways, yeah, I'm not so sure about star citizen. They(the devs) havn't done a very good job explaining to me what it is, all I hear from them is that ITS AWESOME and ITS LIKE EPIC WING COMMANDER.
While that's nice and all, I'm afraid its looking like first person Eve at the moment, even with the ability to fly around and pewpew in dogfights every so often, that still sounds pretty boring.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 12:01:22 AM »
Anyways, yeah, I'm not so sure about star citizen. They(the devs) havn't done a very good job explaining to me what it is, all I hear from them is that ITS AWESOME and ITS LIKE EPIC WING COMMANDER.
While that's nice and all, I'm afraid its looking like first person Eve at the moment, even with the ability to fly around and pewpew in dogfights every so often, that still sounds pretty boring.

That's my main problem with it, I don't totally get what they're attempting to do outside of it being, as you say, a first person eve with dogfights.

However if it turns out they're attempting to do something very cool fleet wise AND it has a compelling and interesting single player component then I'll likely be very interested.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 12:44:56 AM »

That's my main problem with it, I don't totally get what they're attempting to do outside of it being, as you say, a first person eve with dogfights.

However if it turns out they're attempting to do something very cool fleet wise AND it has a compelling and interesting single player component then I'll likely be very interested.

That reminds me of the other day when I was reading up on the James Webb Space Telescope, and how its' funding was nearly cancelled a few years ago the by US Congress after 3 billion(GASP) had been spent. The USA spends tens of billions of dollars on the stupidest shit imaginable yet they were concerned about hubble's successor going over budget more or less the exact same amount hubble itself did?
Pretty sure hubble was worth it....

Well that's pretty infuriating... Any idea on the current status of the project?

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 05:51:50 AM »
They were going to cancel it but they changed their minds and instead capped the funding to 8 billion, its about 75% done by now and the launch window is set at 2018.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/James_Webb_Primary_Mirror.jpg

The primary mirrors are finished I think. It might get pushed back past 2020 though... but it looks too far along to just dump. So I'm hopeful.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 04:05:42 PM »
Eh bringing in anything regarding the US government spending is an exercise in frustration. It's no longer aspirational as much as it's "it also needs to look good to the voting block that keeps me in office".

On Star Citizen I remember reading the initial interviews where Chris Roberts was adamant that's SC is not an MMO and yet people kept treating it like an MMO. Sure it was going to have multiplayer but it was going to be more like Freelancer (ever server is it's own world with population cap, probably around 32-64 players). Now the hype bubble is that the servers can be connected together or something like that.

I only donated $20 cause I'd still like a fun Star/Freelaner game with some co op missions I can play with a few of my friends.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »
Eh bringing in anything regarding the US government spending is an exercise in frustration. It's no longer aspirational as much as it's "it also needs to look good to the voting block that keeps me in office".

On Star Citizen I remember reading the initial interviews where Chris Roberts was adamant that's SC is not an MMO and yet people kept treating it like an MMO. Sure it was going to have multiplayer but it was going to be more like Freelancer (ever server is it's own world with population cap, probably around 32-64 players). Now the hype bubble is that the servers can be connected together or something like that.

I only donated $20 cause I'd still like a fun Star/Freelaner game with some co op missions I can play with a few of my friends.

We think too alike, Square.   Logical and unstirred by the masses.

I also think it's funny that Billl's stil got it, so easy for him to get all yer panties in a twist.

We find out next week if it has the potential to be important.  Funny thing, Billl, it may be more important than al the space agencies combined, at this point in their collective histories, that is. ::)

PS, the missing/added L's are intentional.  :-* :-*

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)