Author Topic: Wandering Samurai to Resume Development of MechWarrior: Living Legends  (Read 4784 times)

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
Re: Wandering Samurai to Resume Development of MechWarrior: Living Legends
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 02:11:19 AM »
Procedurally-generated planets are a wonderful thing. If a MW game had that, you could drop literally anywhere. A million maps. Maybe they're not balanced, but who says you have to engage where you have a disadvantage? Not saying it'd be a silver bullet for a MW game, but I do think it'd be a nice tool to use. Take a bit of PG terrain that you like and edit a small section of it to suit your desires. Hand-crafted maps are of course better for the style of gameplay that MWLL typically offered, but things like planetary leagues would be... leagues better with PG.

MWLL couldn't be converted to SC with any degree of practicality. You'd basically have to start all over. Not saying that's a bad thing, but "porting" is not a choice that will lead to success. Also, you don't need to ask for Chris' permission or have some grandiose contract signed up; SC is gonna be mod-friendly. Mod teams don't typically ask for or need anyone's permission (as long as the principles of fair use are followed). Wandering Samurai just wanted to not step on anyone's toes.

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 12:12:10 PM »
Just wanted to post a hearty F YOU! I actually fell for this necro post bump.

Have another F U  from me for similar reasons.

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +155/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 09:00:32 AM »
Procedurally-generated planets are a wonderful thing. If a MW game had that, you could drop literally anywhere. A million maps. Maybe they're not balanced, but who says you have to engage where you have a disadvantage? Not saying it'd be a silver bullet for a MW game, but I do think it'd be a nice tool to use. Take a bit of PG terrain that you like and edit a small section of it to suit your desires. Hand-crafted maps are of course better for the style of gameplay that MWLL typically offered, but things like planetary leagues would be... leagues better with PG.

MWLL couldn't be converted to SC with any degree of practicality. You'd basically have to start all over. Not saying that's a bad thing, but "porting" is not a choice that will lead to success. Also, you don't need to ask for Chris' permission or have some grandiose contract signed up; SC is gonna be mod-friendly. Mod teams don't typically ask for or need anyone's permission (as long as the principles of fair use are followed). Wandering Samurai just wanted to not step on anyone's toes.

EmyLightsaber (?) produced some randomly generated maps where he simply slapped some spawns and control points on it... these were awful to play. May be a different story in league mode without respawn of course.

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 01:46:12 AM »
Procedural generation isn't random generation. Besides, an MWLL map has a set size, whereas a full planet would not.

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 04:29:45 AM »
Ah, the MWBU maps.
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 08:34:06 AM »
Procedural generation isn't random generation.

"Procedural generation" is a general term for any algorithmically generated content. Content that doesn't repeat itself in an even manner is generated with randomness in its algorithm, rather than just a mathematical function. Things like landscapes or planets etc. are always procedurally generated through some sort of fractal algorithm with randomness.

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 01:33:29 AM »
A seed can be random, but the algorithm deals with it in a set way. Each time and on every computer you load a map, it'll look the same.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »
A seed can be random, but the algorithm deals with it in a set way. Each time and on every computer you load a map, it'll look the same.

If the algorithm itself has no 'noise' (i.e. randomness), regardless of a random seed, then the resulting geometry will look nothing like real terrain. It will just be some regular, repeated structure defined by the algorithm.

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 09:58:03 PM »
Silly Spooky. It's all consistent.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 10:16:33 PM »
Damn that consistency ;)

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 08:49:02 AM »
God damnit I read that title and nearly died. KingLeer why... why...

:D
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-1
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »
I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant updates! This is one of the best MP game.
We should use CE3 (EaaS version) now, though.