Author Topic: Independent mech game project.  (Read 24498 times)

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +26/-1
Re: Independent mech game project.
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 10:18:20 AM »
Makes me wonder why PiGgIe never made the Urbie.  They would have made a mint.  Heck they put the crappy Locust in, and the Flea.   ::) ::)
We have internal meme "awesome skeleton". Not because it awesome (synonym of cool), but because mechs like banshee looks a little bit strange: too big torso, too short legs, looks like mech stretched to proportions of awesome. It makes me think PGI just use same two or three skeletons to animate every single mech. This is why they never make mechs with non-standart proportions, and even existing mech sometimes too big. Urbie should be short and wide, but PGI doesn't have proper skeleton for this. So only urbie we can get is shitty cockpit item.

Sounds like the best 'Mech-AI any game has ever had.^^
The mechanisms to counteract a players ping get quite complex, and some of them have to be taken into account pretty early if you don't want to redo big sections of your game. It wouldn't hurt if you already had a rough idea of what things you are planning to build into your game, might help in the long run.
This is why I try to make hardest (not in terms on needed time, but knowledge) part first. If I can make AI there will be singleplayer, but if I can't we are doomed to repeat past (I recommend MW3 as best part of past).

The layers might be necessary if you want to account for internal damage. Will you just go with the Battletech 'Mech-sections we all know or will you think about a mechanic that's a littler more detailed?
It's standart TT parts plus additional specials like madcat ears in MW4. But ofcourse there will be additional layer of internal components more detailed than ever. I'm not planing additional hitboxes for each actuator or ammo storage, it may cause good players to kill each other with one or two shots ("worst case" in programers language). But for example: after destroying leg armor main power circuit can be damaged, and player should use cocpit tumbler to activate reserve one. Something like this implemented in ground combat part of WT, but nah... press "button and wait" is not fun scheme.
So it will be almost like in MWLL, with additional mechanisms to reduce functionality by damage and overcome this type of restrictions by player's actions.
This is how it designed now. For further detalisation I need to test it and see how other player behave in game (this is why videos so cewl).
Anyway, first implemenation of combat will be based on pure HP bar, so don't be bad-surprised. I call this system simple, 'cause I know how to implement it, but implementation take time anyway.

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
Why not pick one component of your 'Mech and give an HP bar to that one only. E.g. pick the left (lower?) arm, give it an HP bar and proceed through all necessary steps - a 'Mech could only be damaged/killed by shooting its left arm, but after you implemented this mechanic, you could just "copy" it to all the other parts. That might save you some time, even though at first it won't result in a believable damage-mechanic.

Whatever you do: I (and others, obviously) am interested to see where you are going and how you will get there. :)

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »
Why not pick one component of your 'Mech and give an HP bar to that one only. E.g. pick the left (lower?) arm, give it an HP bar and proceed through all necessary steps - a 'Mech could only be damaged/killed by shooting its left arm, but after you implemented this mechanic, you could just "copy" it to all the other parts. That might save you some time, even though at first it won't result in a believable damage-mechanic.
It's not about time. For this effect i need to write one script (5min work) and copy it on each component. But this system will be to shady without propper visualisation and HUD indication.
Right now I'm focused on AI, and I want to add combat as soon as possible. It's take about one or two week, while damage system will be in state of placeholder of placeholder. After that I can take a break and add more adequate hitboxes, visualisations with removing "dead" components and particles like smokes and fire, build up some damage interface. All this make separate parts damage obvious.
I'm for sure can avoid this intermediate stage and make all work in one week, but only in random case of great success with AI. And this doesn't sound like usual situation.

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 08:59:51 PM »
Woo it works :D  I do love the powering up procedure, I wish they'd have put that in a MW game! The machines are nicely modelled as well, with the grab handles and smoke launchers on the knees and stuff, they feel quite realistic :)

It has great potential, keep up the excellent work!

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »
FAQ Updated. Thx for good questions, guys. If think about it, you all already helping me.

Offline Mech Daddy

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-54
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »
Good luck!

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2014, 11:56:43 PM »
New build, boys and girls. Direct link

No primitive combat, as I wanted to. But some parts of it done. Bots separated into teams. Radar, AI, game logic improved to support teams. Bunch of bugfixes and internal code improvements.
Unexpected bugs, just like I was expecting. But I still need only two features, and there will be pew-pew.

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2014, 02:12:51 PM »
it's at the same time impressive and appalling that you alone can make such progress in this short ammount of time and big game developement teams can't . .
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Vlaad

• Lead Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-1
  • 80 percent human
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »
Rarely on so I missed this. Best of luck on your project Imp, hope it grows.

Few questions:

What engine?

If custom engine is there a multiplayer code?

Are you just making the game to implement some features or do you have rough sketch of end product?

And last one: Alone? Really? Don't to that. If you have plans gather people up, its impossible to do everything. :)
pew-pew

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
What engine?
If custom engine is there a multiplayer code?
It's  Unity. There exist some 3rd party solutions for rapid MP development, but I'm not quite sure this solutions can handle mech game. Also, new version of engine (5.0) will contain native low and high level instrument for net-code creation.

Are you just making the game to implement some features or do you have rough sketch of end product?
And last one: Alone? Really? Don't to that. If you have plans gather people up, its impossible to do everything. :)
I have rough design document with lot of white spaces, but it's rather a complete game conception, than just buch of non-connected ideas.
It's for first question, but first one correlated with second one, so...
Right now I'm not thinking about complete game, and focused on implementation of some kind of framework. Universal stuff, which can be used to bring my conception to live, or make any other type of mech game. And this framework not only must work in compiled game build like now, but be structured and documented enough to other people can do their part of work. So I just can't write such things like spawn procedures, menues and other simple but time consuming stuff, which neccessary for end-product and even more for any project participants, when I'm not sure I can do hard parts like AI and net-code.
For sure I will accept help at some point, but right now I'm prefer to do as much work as I can by myself. After all, I want not only release new mech game, but get a lot of experience by doing such stuff.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:30:12 AM by ELH_Imp »

Offline Vlaad

• Lead Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-1
  • 80 percent human
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2014, 08:50:57 AM »
I see, thanks for the reply.

It is important to know where you are heading and to realize some ideas. Judging on what I have read, what you do is impressive on its own right... Be mindful of picking up too much though!

I'm interested in seeing evolution of this, ill keep track of it  :)
pew-pew

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2014, 09:11:54 AM »
I'm interested in seeing evolution of this, ill keep track of it  :)
Not only you. :)

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
I had a go of the new build and it seems to work fine :) Its fun watching the AI units run about and fight :D

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 02:09:04 AM »
As always Direct Link.

Okay, what to say? It's not easy to be stupid, so this week was hard for me. Wrong priorities cause bugs apear at last moment, so this build is raw and rough even in comparison of my other drafts. And key systems I made look very clumsy. But, combat is ready if it's correct to call such mess "ready".
Anyway, you can shoot and be shooted, bots moving to the target sometimes, and not killing allies, just hurting a little bit.

If you know "80/20" rule, it's still a lot of work, with less visible result. So next few weeks I going to try clean and fix all I did, without loads of essential and funny changes. And for now please enjoy glitchy mech arcade. I hope, gents, you will get some fun.

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 12:56:13 PM »
Well its fun you can blow them up now :D Get the blue ones back in and it will be carnage :D

Something worth mentioning is that I accidently exited the mech and got back in, but after that the green mechs just stopped doing anything. Just a heads up if its an unexpected thing :)

Keep going anyway, im starting to look forward to these updates :D