Author Topic: Mech IP's  (Read 3052 times)

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Level Design/Enviromental artist
Mech IP's
« on: June 07, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »
What are some of the other 'mech type IP's you guys can think of where the 'mech is the main star? 
Mechwarrior
Heavy Gear
Armored Core
Front Mission (one of my favorites!)
Chrome Hounds
Steel Battalion
Gundum (almost forgot that one.)

Out of the IP's listed here and in other posts what do you like most about them in regards to both lore, gameplay if its a game, or gameplay possibilities?

+Level Designer!

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +26/-1
Re: Mech IP's
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 10:20:48 AM »
It's not much games, which deserves attention. I can add only:
Earthsiege/Starsiege
Hawken
Strike Suit Zero
M.A.V. (Chrome Hound for PC, still in early dev stage)

And of course it's helluva lot of anime, most noticeable:
Macross
Armored Trooper Votoms
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 11:21:18 AM by ELH_Imp »

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 12:53:45 AM »
Since you didn't ask ONLY for games, I think one could add:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Full Metal Panic

It's arguable how big of a role the "Mechs" really play in these, but they're there.

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.

Offline Zaro27

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • Nicest Motherfapper Here
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 01:51:14 AM »
Big O
SPT Layzner
Rahxephon
Zone of the Enders
Virtual On
Pacific Rim
Getter Robo
Mazinger Z
Megazone 23
Zoids
Battlefield 2142
I want to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that won't screw to save it's species. I want to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all those French beaches I'll never see. I want to breathe smoke. I want to destroy something beautiful.

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 04:11:19 AM »
Movies too?
Then Robot Jox ^_^

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 06:26:04 AM »
Since you didn't ask ONLY for games, I think one could add:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Full Metal Panic

It's arguable how big of a role the "Mechs" really play in these, but they're there.

Looking for pretty much anything with 'mechs.  Game, book, movie, whatever.  But mostly where the 'mech is the star, or something you think presents a cool or unique idea.
To be forthright I'm looking for cool and interesting ideas for a potential future combined-arms 'mech based game.  Something probably like MWLL but not hamstrung by the mod limitations we had. 

I originally wanted to get MWLL ported over the the free SDK but that's probably going to be impossible.  Not because it can't be done with a lot of work but because I doubt it's going to fly with MWO and all that.  Also the current iteration of CE might not be the best choice with it's current map size limitations (4096 meter terrain MAX - regardless of heightmap resolution.)  Depends on the direction that we decide to go in, nothing is off the table. 

Before anyone gets overly excited I only have a loose idea in my head right now so its going to be awhile before I have anything concrete, if I even decide to move forward at all.
*Also to be clear this is not a official Wandering Samurai project.  Just something I have in my head, though I would be happy to have anyone else on the team that worked on MWLL if it goes into production.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 06:38:07 AM by death_grin »

+Level Designer!

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »
Before anyone gets overly excited I only have a loose idea in my head right now so its going to be awhile before I have anything concrete, if I even decide to move forward at all.
*Also to be clear this is not a official Wandering Samurai project.  Just something I have in my head, though I would be happy to have anyone else on the team that worked on MWLL if it goes into production.

When I hear this, I shot a quick glance in EHL_Imp's direction:

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,20398.0.html

Also a early stage, but the mechs are already walking.

And a good tip...stay clear of existing IPs. Even MWLL, after getting a non commercial license for battletech, got problems when MWO brought a commercial license (as far as i know, I am no dev).

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 01:11:29 AM »
Robotech.

Though I am not really a fan, Palladium Books are soon to release a TT version, that has many of the Harmony Gold owned models that we all love from Battletech.  You know all the ones that FASA used in the beginning.

Here's a link. http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=707:special-robotechr-rpg-tactics-update-january-30-2014&catid=52:weekly-updates&Itemid=183

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 06:27:51 AM »

When I hear this, I shot a quick glance in EHL_Imp's direction:

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,20398.0.html

Also a early stage, but the mechs are already walking.

And a good tip...stay clear of existing IPs. Even MWLL, after getting a non commercial license for battletech, got problems when MWO brought a commercial license (as far as i know, I am no dev).

For now I'm not aiming for a super hard core "DCS" level of simulation that IMP is (it would be waaaay too much work for a indie project to do that with a combined arms approach.)
Right now I'm looking at something more along the level of simulation as something like ARMA, but easier to use.  Also not super futuristic, but hard sci-fi with believable technology that would have a lot more in common with modern armored warfare then MW.  Where things like armor thickness and round penetration would need to be considered ("World of 'Mechs" anyone?")  Also with a more limited supply of ammunition (to a realistic degree.)  Lasers would have a high armor penetration value but are less likely to hit a critical component, where as ballistic high explosive rounds that detonate inside the 'mech can cause catastrophic internal damage (but with less armor penetration.)  This would promote strategy and tactical gameplay where players have to hunt one another and pick their targets carefully, instead of just zerging into a brawl.

I would also like to design a deep electronic warfare system, along with battlefield intelligence and communications systems.  Something much more anchored in modern military technology and science then any of the 'mech games yet offered.

As to the IP I don't want to use an existing IP, that would cause way to many problems and limit creativity - as nice as it would be to have a good base of lore and tech to start off with.

Robotech.

Though I am not really a fan, Palladium Books are soon to release a TT version, that has many of the Harmony Gold owned models that we all love from Battletech.  You know all the ones that FASA used in the beginning.

How could I forget Robotech?!

+Level Designer!

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »
Sounds like you are aiming for a technological base, where at least content (like maps and vehicles, so mostly art) can be added in later. I do regret not having joined the LL-dev team (only to get a grasp of a big team collaborating), even though it would have been only for the last six months of development. If you ever have more solid ideas, I will be first in line to volunteer helping out. (Meanwhile I may be trying to work on my own project. ;) )

Also, where does Imps approach seem "super hard-core"? Flipping switches by hand seems like a great thing to me - it also ensures that your cockpits are functional and modelled to a certain degree. And, aside from the switches, it didn't seem too "hard-core" to me.

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »
Sounds like you are aiming for a technological base, where at least content (like maps and vehicles, so mostly art) can be added in later. I do regret not having joined the LL-dev team (only to get a grasp of a big team collaborating), even though it would have been only for the last six months of development. If you ever have more solid ideas, I will be first in line to volunteer helping out. (Meanwhile I may be trying to work on my own project. ;) )

Also, where does Imps approach seem "super hard-core"? Flipping switches by hand seems like a great thing to me - it also ensures that your cockpits are functional and modelled to a certain degree. And, aside from the switches, it didn't seem too "hard-core" to me.

Perhaps not super-hardcore.
Flipping some basic switches to start up the 'mech would be fine.  Putting some basic functions that you don't have to touch often would work too.  I wouldn't want to see a start up sequence comparable though to that of the DCS games.  I "played" DCS blackshark and never managed to even get the chopper in the air except once (youtube it.)  This amount of depth would just be a barrier to anyone except the hardest of the sim fans.  A few switch's to start up the mech would be neat though.  Would also be cool if the switch flipped according to button presses, instead of having to use a mouse to do it in some situations.

Actually, I suppose I could imagine some other reasons for the switches.  For instance in setting up weapon fire groups and those sort of things where you wouldn't have to mess with it much.  Perhaps a coolent flush switch and one for autoeject.

Many modern aircraft now use glass cockpit displays though, with switches still being in place as backup.  One idea could be to have the cockpit systems mostly automated or hotkeyes with a mouse clickable glass/LCD display for some functions.  Then if the 'mech takes damage to the cockpit you're control systems can get knocked out and you have to resort to using the manual "switch" systems for some functions.
That does sound pretty cool actually.  I would just want to keep the amount of switching during combat to a minimum, with the exception of eject.

@thEClaw
I know you made some smaller apps like the ones in your sig, what kind of programming expertise do you have?

note- since I didn't originally intend this thread to discuss particulars of my possible project if there is enough interest I can set up a forum so we can discuss ideas.

+Level Designer!

Offline Vlaad

• Lead Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-1
  • 80 percent human
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 01:35:45 PM »
Jeff, I have worked on a concept for a mech game for a long time that drastically expands on mwll "headaches":

- Personalization
- Persistence
- Extended tactical gameplay
- Changing battlefield with solution for self balancing intense and unpredictable games

Lot of brainstorming was already done to create this game as well as potential business model that would help sustain development so team could have time to build decent indie game with ethical business model. In this age, I think people are looking more to creative mammals than dinosaurs of todays industry.

Know few people with experience willing to work and there are few more lurking around the forums i'm sure.

Still have few things to document... Either way, PM me if your interested in ideas, maybe we can work something out or talk at very least.
pew-pew

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »
I wouldn't want to see a start up sequence comparable though to that of the DCS games.  I "played" DCS blackshark and never managed to even get the chopper in the air except once (youtube it.)
Ooh, I didn't know what DCS meant. Well, *that* kind of realism would be overkill and lock out 95% of the playerbase. Also, I would assume that a futuristic 'Mech should be relatively easy to handle - with most of the advanced/confusing switches hidden behind some panels.

Would also be cool if the switch flipped according to button presses, instead of having to use a mouse to do it in some situations.
Then usage-via-mouse and usage-via-shortcut wouldn't be balanced against each other - but there is probably some middle ground to be found there.

Then if the 'mech takes damage to the cockpit you're control systems can get knocked out and you have to resort to using the manual "switch" systems for some functions.
I thought about that right when you mentioned "advanced electronic warfare", this might indeed be a very cool mechanic. Or maybe make damage have certain effects you can only counter with "manual" interaction. Like unjam weapons or something.

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 06:38:08 PM »
Oh, I see a lot of subjects here to talk about. But...

... I want additionally point this out. Because I'm not going to make real-life simulation, my goal is more movie-like simulation.
I'm pretty sure no one knows what real mech pilot is supposed to do, cause we have only one real mech, and it totaly useless in combat situation. But every one could imagine cool things that pilot could do. Yeah, you already did this and mention above: weapon grouping, setting up your personally preffered mech params, controlling damage, switching ammo type (well, hello again, PGI). In addition to bringing potential fun, active cockpit helps to visualise controls and individualise mechs.
So, it's not about realism and hardcore, it's just additional game mechanics like weapon customisation or radar. And I have same position about other aspects of game. Glass cockpit instead of monochrome targeting display, swarms of barely flying missiles instead of one insta-kill tactical charge, almost invulnerable mechs which can't be killed by two guys with RPGs. This all is counter-realism details, but it's fun.

And sorry for offtopic.

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 02:53:31 AM »
Since you mentioned combined arms...

Command and Conquer 3 - Tiberian Sun

Granted, there's only (I think) three "mechs" in this game, but hey.

Honestly I'd say create something from scratch. A new IP if you will, to avoid the possibility of another PGI/IGP coming along and making a commercial game with whatever IP you went for.

Also, just so it's said; Could someone PLEASE make a proper Shadowrun game? >_<

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.