Author Topic: Chaos March: An ongoing Campaign.  (Read 2714 times)

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
Chaos March: An ongoing Campaign.
« on: July 03, 2014, 08:04:43 AM »
Hello all. In the event that this is not in fact the total MWLL apocalypse, I would like to announce a proposal for an on going "freely scheduled" campaign for MWLL.
Rather than pick a large scale conflict like a renewed Clan Invasion or another Succession War, I figured it was more fitting to have it take place in the Chaos March where petty squabbles and power plays more fit the small scale of the MWLL community and a better representation of your average Battletech war.

With that I present!

The Chaos March

"We thought the Clans were bad; the Chaos March is worse. Don't look at me like I'm crazy for saying that- I've been there. I know. With the Clans, you know who your enemies are. You never know in the Chaos March. The enemy could be the one your employer says it is, or the folks you're supposed to be protecting. Or even the guy whose contract you just signed. You never know."   - From an interview with Cal Ecchardt, former lance commander of the Cold Steel Cowboys, a now-defunct mercenary unit, Outreach channel 2, March 3058.

There are no great lines in the sand here, there are no grand crusades. It is only business as usual in Terra's backyard. And yet, the hour is drawing late and from small squabbles great disasters can rise. It is 3067 and the Truce of Tukayyid is about to expire. The average petty noble of the Chaos March's many independent worlds and small states care about this for only one reason, the clans have taken interest in this reason. Not to conquer mind you, not yet anyway. The great houses have learned from recent events, keep the clans infighting and weak, and well away from the great capitals. But the clans too have learned, at least individually. The independent states of the Chaos March have called out to the clans as mercenaries in their war games in addition to the old-fashioned kind. The houses found it laughable, having dealt with clan honor first hand, and Comstar has its own "internal" problems to worry about. But shockingly and disturbingly (not to mention quietly) clans are accepting contracts and coming to the "defense" of the petty potentates, promising to bring order to the most turbulent place in the Galaxy. This might puzzle, and perhaps disgust, a conservative Clansman, but one look at the map and the answer is obvious, a few shady alliances can quickly turn into a foothold behind any defense line the great houses prepared, within spitting distance from Terra itself. Cunning Clansmen have learned the hard way that the front door was barred, so it is time to try the backdoor. All in the name of freedom and honor, of course.

SET UP

Players will play for 6 different factions and the neutral worlds around them. A single player may run a faction (the same player need not be present if the players don't feel it necessary) and anyone may run the defense of neutral worlds.
The action will take place as no respawn drops. Weight limits, instead of being determined per map, are instead determined per campaign.

A campaign for a world is a quick and dirt best out of three.

Drop commanders will not create droplists perse, instead they shall field from the available Regiments stationed on the world in defense, or in a fleet on attack.
Regiments are a premade force of 4 assets. At 4 players or less only one Regiment may take the field at any time. However, at more than 4 players the drop commander will choose a main Regiment that MUST be fielded in full and then may choose another and cherry pick assets from it to fillout the player requirement. Over 8 players goes to two main regiments and a third for cherry picking, and so on.

However, some flexibility is given in the form of Auxiliaries. An Auxiliary unit is granted after each turn (whenever all possible battles have taken place) for each world. So each neutral world will gain one to add to its garrison force while each faction gains one for its fleet for every planet they own. Auxiliaries can be played on any battle and are used up for it regardless of victory or defeat. The Auxiliary can be used to replace any asset in a regiment to fill in a needed weight or range bracket in a pinch.

If a team runs out of tons during a campaign (this may happen if the campaign tonnage limit was set very low and they only have regiments full of high ton assets) then their players shall attend a single APC as a singled spawn BA until all carrying assets are destroyed. This APC cannot sell ammo and is weight free. APC's that come from actual regiments can sell ammo and can INFINITELY spawn BA until they are destroyed or all carrying assets are destroyed,  dead pilots can also infinitely spawn from these APCs.

When a battle is lost, that regiment is destroyed, if the battle is won, the regiment goes into repairs for the rest of the turn and is fully restored next turn. Regiments cherry picked during a campaign may continue to be cherry picked from until all their assets are destroyed, if it survives the campaign it will be restored next turn.

Each world as 4 regiments stationed to defend it. Each major faction has a fleet it uses to attack with; the fleet has 8 regiments in it. Factions may freely swap out regiments in their fleet with those from any world they own, but the numbers will always remain the same. Thus, fleets will ALWAYS have 8 regiments good to fight at the beginning of each turn and every world will ALWAYS have 4 regiments ready to defend. At the beginning of each turn, all destroyed regiments are replaced from the main pool of 168 randomly.

Each world has a set of 4 maps which should be picked from randomly for each of the three rounds in the campaign. I stayed with all stock maps and reasonable custom maps which stayed below ~30 MB (with a couple exceptions in the mid 40s) I will not add maps with larger file size than this.

Here is the complete map list
Code: [Select]
TSA_Clearcut
TSA_Extremity
TSA_Frostbite
TSA_Marshes
TSA_Mirage
TSA_Palisades
TSA_Sandblasted
TSA_ThunderRift
TC_Altay
TC_Deathvalley
TC_Dustbowl
TC_Enkeladus
TC_Frostbite
TC_Inferno
TC_IvoryTower
TC_Kagoshima
TC_Mirage
TC_Sandblasted
TC_Taiga
TC_ThunderRift
TC_Marshes
TSA_AlshainV2
TSA_BadlandsV06
TSA_Desolation
TSA_ForestValleyV2
TSA_ForsakenV06
TSA_GoldenRocks
TSA_JungleImpact
TSA_Northwind
TSA_OutpostV2
TSA_River
TSA_SavannaPro_V3
TSA_Underground_v2
TC_00_Dam_006
TC_Bedrock
TC_Breadbasket_001
TC_Frontlines
TC_Lunacy[v1]
TC_RingofFire_v0.3
TC_SnowblindV06
TC_VeiledThunder
TSA_Jungle
TSA_Vista
TSA_Helgate
TSA_Glory

Each faction can attack until all of its regiments in its fleets are either destroyed or in repair (victorious regiments are in repair). Neutral planets can only defend.
However, The same world cannot be attacked more than once in the same turn, it goes into "sleep mode" after the campaign is over regardless of whether it changes hands or not.

Here is the public sample spreadsheet for the Chaos March campaign, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmrsnhgD162EdFl0UmlHU2dTZnRoemg4cHlreWhMa3c&output=html

So what do you think guys? I've tried to emulate players being actual soldiers rather than grand admirals minmaxing droplists and planning grand strategies, faction leaders and drop commanders will have limited choices but SOME flexibility to tweak droplists and squeeze out victories. All regiment creation and Auxiliary assignment is random from lists, so you get what you get, go cry to your warrant officer if you don't like it. :P

Additionally, I've kept record keeping to a minimum, as destroyed regiments are simply destroyed to be replaced randomly a victorious wins are simple in "sleep mode" for the rest of the turn until they return at full strength. 

It also doesn't matter who is on what team, though it might be funner if someone picks a faction to run in the long hall and then tries to persuade players to their side every campaign.

This is all proof of concept, I don't have plans for dates yet, though it is meant to be a pick up and play whenever anyone is on and feels like playing.

By the way, to see the main Regiment and Auxiliary list, see here. http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,19512.0.html
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:13:55 AM by xInVicTuSx »
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
Re: Chaos March: An ongoing Campaign.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 04:12:03 PM »
Nice idea. I'll comment on it tomorrow.
Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:35:48 AM »
I recommend changing the color of the duchy of small. That light-blue is a bit to close to the color of the neutral planets. Infinite respawns? Nononononononnonononononononnonono. Why not just use the rule of packs of 5 ba that count as carrying until the time runs out or the APC is destroyed?

I like the random asset thing. I was getting tired of always using the coolest assets. That was something I loved about the Planetary League. Shoving 4 Osiris Bs down the SJ's throats. Or using the Thanny C instead of the D.
Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »
There aren't many APC regiments so I thought I would give them something special as they are meant to represent a major infantry force.  8)

Ok I'll change the color on duchy of small.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline [CW] CyclonerM

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
  • MechWarrior CyclonerM, Clan Wolf Alpha Galaxy
    • www.clan-wolf.info
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 07:57:33 PM »
There aren't many APC regiments so I thought I would give them something special as they are meant to represent a major infantry force.  8)

Not really sure about the IS BA squads, but i believe an Elemental Trinary for each Cluster would be reasonable, AKA 15 BA respawns :D

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:30:22 PM »
Fair warning, I was just looking at the Regiment list and some of the tonnage numbers are off. I'm trying to figure out the culprit as I'm not sure what I was considering LTs, Vtols, and APCs weights but they are inconsistent, I'll look at it later today.

OK I did a full pass of the lists for method 1 and 2(the one I use) and they are now fully correct.

The campaign spread sheet has been corrected as well.

And yes, it was in fact a pain in the ass. :P
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 12:07:54 AM by xInVicTuSx »
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 02:22:38 PM »
oh fapp off Vic, I suggested campaigns months ago and all you ne'erdowell fags shot it down!!

Maybe I'll come and play, hope this shit is tight though.  8)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Vic-Viper.v1

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-3
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »
I will look into making sure the Maps in your list are Installed into huntress, On a side note pleased to announce Huntress has been moved to its 10g network And speeds are holding Strong

Offline duelist

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +219/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 09:28:05 PM »
Saturday August 23. Sunday August 24. 16:00-22:00gmt. Chaos March. More details to come.