Author Topic: So I'm doing a movie review thing video aka I'm bored and fishing for interest.  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
So yeah I've been exceptionally bored in recent months and decided to start a project I've been considering for a while, building a monument to my ego in the form of a Youtube video review type deal.

It was also an excuse to learn how to use Adobe Premier Pro and to see if I can actually plan a narrative and all that crap.

So yeah I'm posting a heads up here to see if anyone would be interested in a link when it's all done? I won't be posting up links for it everywhere or anything, I just wondered if any of you all would give a watch (and perhaps critique my critique) when it's up.

Having said all that I guess the only thing to mention is the movie that I'm reviewing. It's none other than the 1996 classic from Simon Wincer the director of other gems such as D.A.R.Y.L and Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles: The Phantom. Starring the limitless talent of Billy Zane and a bunch of other actors you never heard of.

The eta of this likely a couple of months or so, I'm still getting to grips with the software (I've never really done video editing before, at least nothing of this scale) and I'm still writing the script etc. The whole thing hopefully convey my sense of humour, which I know isn't exactly to everyone here's taste, but the undercurrent will be a solid review (or at least I hope so).

Anyway as I say, just wondering if it's anything that'll interest you disdainful bunch of miscreants just post.

Now I will say that this will be a positive review (which some of you may not have expected I guess) as I feel that movie really gets a bad wrap imo.

Anyway, just a heads up, let me know if I should post the link when it's done. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:56:28 PM by Bill »

Offline cyofee

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +71/-62
    • cyofee
review this first imho

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
Find me a copy and I'll add it to the list.

I mean Gay Niggers From Outer Space is already on there, so doing something from the other side of the fence could be a laugh.

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
I don't really watch movies, but I'd be interested in your take on The Room and the work of Tommy Wiseau in general.

How 'bout sci-fi book reviews? Iirc you have a quite good taste in dem.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
I don't really think there's much left to say about the room really, it (alongside other "so bad it's good" movies such as birdemic) has become a cultural phenominum outside of what the movies are really worth. I mean even to this day the prince Charles cinema in London does a monthly screening of it, which as you'd expect descends into madness and people shouting at the movie/throwing spoons etc.

I'll happily go over "The disaster artist" when it comes out though, as Hollywood's love story with Wiseau is kinda more interesting to me at this point.

As for the man himself? Well it's obvious he's self deluded, but hes obviously not stupid. He's managed to ride this thing pretty well. I watched his second movie (the house that screamed Alex? I can't remember the name) and his self awareness ruined it really.

I personally would like to give him a budget (one not funded by his rumoured arms dealing past) and give him carte blanche to do what ever he liked without the pressure of expectations or the thought of having living up to anything. I almost see him as a prototype John Walters (though without the LGBT angle), in so much that his filming style is very slap dash (through inexperience and over confidence), filming on two totally different types of film is a good example of it.

As for the Science Fiction books. Well firstly cheers for the complement, secondly it would be something I'd happily consider doing, the problem would be how to keep it visual stimulating whilst I rambled on. I can't really do any on location filming or anything as I lack the equipment (camera, lighting, sound).

But I'll happily give it a shot, since it was your idea what book would you like to start with?

Offline cyofee

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +71/-62
    • cyofee
Find me a copy and I'll add it to the list.

I mean Gay Niggers From Outer Space is already on there, so doing something from the other side of the fence could be a laugh.
Ask (Google for the .torrent) and ye shall receive.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
I'm aware of that, but given the leg work I'm going to put into these videos (aka it's not exactly a walk in the park) and the fact that you want me to do it.

I think a little link might not be too much of a strain for you. I mean I know you have to appear aloof and snarky, it's your entire persona after all; and I appreciate that, truly, It's part of why I enjoy you so much.

But as a was implying, this is a two way street, so if you want me to lay down the smack and gibberish on this evidently lost gem (judging by that review at least) you could at least resiprocate a little effort on you part.  I mean I've already got to dedicate a fair amount of my time to catalogue all the bizarre and curious sects I find on the internet (because you know, the human race is an amazing tapesty of irrationality and madness), so like it wouldn't kill you dude.

I mean look at this tame example: http://www.odditycentral.com/news/russian-cult-worships-female-cartoon-character.html
People are amazing and someone has to piece this all together haha.

Basically post/pm me a link you big chubber, it's not going to break your Dr Strangelove persona or anything.

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
But I'll happily give it a shot, since it was your idea what book would you like to start with?

Clarke: The City and the Stars

(Something from PKD; Kir Bulychov: The Last War)

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
Ah the City in the Stars was the second Clarke book I ever read, I love that one.

Sounds good to me!

Also as I'm sure you're not surprised by, PKD is basically my own personal Jesus haha.

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
Ah the City in the Stars was the second Clarke book I ever read, I love that one.

Same here. Let me guess the first: Childhood's End.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
Nah, it was rather obviously the IRobot series.