Author Topic: EDIT: IDEA: Planetary Assault game mode  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
EDIT: IDEA: Planetary Assault game mode
« on: November 26, 2014, 03:59:42 AM »
MWLL Planetary Assault

Introduction

So, after seeing that the Chaos March in its original form was a failure, because of the community not being ready (and big) enough for such an event, I decided to do some brainstorming in order to give the community what Invictus wanted to give with Chaos March, but in a different and more accessible way.

The main purpose of the Chaos March was to make players use also sub-optimal assets. The problem was that the event wasn’t actually suitable for everyone, since it had a too high level of challenge for most of the players who just wanted to have fun, so we decided to do some deep changes to the event. Now the Chaos March is too much different than its original form, and IMHO it doesn't really make sense anymore to keep playing it.

What we need now is an event suitable and open to everyone, and most importantly, with much less time wasted between matches.

What it is

It’s a non-persistent weekly event. No starmaps, no background, no factions. It consists on a single team-based game with voice comms. Each team will fight each other in a single, long battle for a planet on one single map, in ToS game mode. The battle will last no more than 90 minutes. Both teams will create 4 different droplists (each droplist will have its own ton and BV limit) for the same map. That means each player will have 3 respawns available. The first team that will lose all the carrying assets in all its droplists will lose the match.

Of course, not all the assets will be available for both teams. There will be assigned some "asset pools" before each match. The idea behind pools comes from Invictus’ regiments, but they are way bigger than regiments (~30-50 variants), can contain multiple numbers of same variants, and they have at least 1 asset for each purpose(AA, long range, aero, etc…). There will be different tiers of pools, and they are not based on weight, but on the average battle value. (example: the “low tier” pool could have an average of 1.8 stars, the “high tier” one could have an average of 2.5 instead)

Team leaders will build the 4 droplists by taking assets from no more than 2 different tiers of pools (using some fancy tools I've been building in these days), which will be decided by the battle supervisor before the match begins. (example: for the Battle of TC_whatever both teams must use only the “medium” and “low” tiers - for a comparison with real life, it’s more or less like Formula 1 races, where the federation decides the 2 tires compounds that everyone must use)

I'm writing a little handbook with some rules about this event.

ETA:when it's ready, hopefully sooner than later.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:08:12 AM by Starch1ld »

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:46:16 PM by Starch1ld »

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
Re: EDIT: IDEA: Planetary Assault game mode
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:01:03 PM »
UPDATE: Thanks everyone who helped me out testing this ruleset this Sunday.

The test went well, and I'm going to make some changes so we can minimize the time wasted.
Next test will be this weekend.

Offline cest73

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-15
  • there are links in my signature -->
    • MW:LL game status online (kudos: Spooky)
Re: EDIT: IDEA: Planetary Assault game mode
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 11:57:28 PM »
in case this is still active  :)
1- the asset pool could be the constraint of selection on the drop-calc sheet via LOOKUP()? can the drop-down lists be sourced from it?
2- there could be "reserve" assets left in hangar for late joining players - as soon as two arrive (a one each side) they can jump in depending of scenario?
3- i really like special constraint scenarios with special mission constraints:

A- don't kill the single cougar-C form the opposing team (VIP-target) in case of death the team losses momentarily. (exclusion)
B- kill-capture an X (=atlas/mad-cat mkII/Thanatos) before any other killing - kill only <some asset>- failing so immediate failure.(execution)
C- reach a certain point of map wiht heavily under-powered, under-speed, or any other handicapped unit - for a win (extraction)
D- extract certain data-set from a map (=capture an (or more) unowned base and extract) to win with various conditions (scouting)
E- BA vs Armor (survival)
F- BA vs BA (unequal/unfair numbers, balance trough BV/experience) (skill-upgrade)
G- single mech vs varying number of opponents (BA, lighter assets) (tactical skill)
not all suggestions apply, but any might inspire actual something?
 8)
NOTE:
fair battle=boring