Author Topic: Revert back some of the old mech builds in Community Edition  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
Re: Revert back some of the old mech builds in Community Edition
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 01:48:25 AM »
I thought that ac2 and 5 use bullet code?
Yep but his point p much was that the damage they do is @$$
I feel that UAC5 are ok though. Havent touched normal AC5. Uac2 is sad even when you have lots of them (that one Daishi), havent touched Ac2 and I can expect it to be much worse.
Try out the AC2 and ELRM15 Catapult on a long range map. It's soooo good. AC2s are actually decent poking weapons now since they have a long cool-down between volleys and do a lot of damage with each volley. Absolute BA murder machine, too.
Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 03:23:57 AM »
Yeah I got about half my ba kills today with ac2s or ac5s.

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »
I can kill BA only with GAUSS or PPCs

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 02:03:39 PM »
I think some old variants could be considered. I don't miss anything much, but others do. Only occasion where i am against it are the RAC Fafnir, the Streak Vulture and, of course the dereaded HGauss Shiva.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:54:42 PM by Chezzar »

Offline cest73

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-15
  • there are links in my signature -->
    • MW:LL game status online (kudos: Spooky)
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 07:05:55 PM »
there are canon Shadow cats we could use? (alt B and Alt F according to sarna.net)

Offline StrOf10kBabies

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-3
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 09:50:32 PM »
Since I heard that new mech chassis' are going to be considered by the community devs, I'm going to repost this from another thread. Here are some new mechs that would contribute to variety in MWLL:

Locust IIC/Jenner IIC:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Locust_IIC

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jenner_IIC

Excellent close range brawlers with some potential interesting variants for MWLL. The Locust IIC is more of a laser focused light mech while the Jenner IIC offers a mix of Missile/Energy builds.

Hunchback IIC:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hunchback_IIC

A glass cannon medium brawler that blows up anything stupid enough to get close to it. It trades armor and heat build up for high weapon mounts and damage. It was also one of the mechs that was planned, but got cancelled during MWLL developement.

Rifleman IIC:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rifleman_IIC

A well armored heavy mech that sports 4 Clan large pulse lasers, jj's, and a clan active probe. 11 tons of ferro armor, 19 DHS's, and high arm mounted weapons make this a mech a force to be reckoned with. So what's the trade off? The prime variant can only go a meager 54kmph with it's standard engine. I would absolutely love to see this thing in MWLL for it's build versatility (2x Light gauss rifles and 2x Clan ERLL's is one build example). On top of that, it's my favorite battletech mech of all time.

Warhammer IIC:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Warhammer_IIC

Who doesn't love a Warhammer? Perhaps one that has 12 tons of ferro armor, 10 tons more than it's IS cousin, and 12 DHS's to keep those 2 ER PPC's, 1 SRM6, and 5 Medium pulse lasers in check. This thing will be a monster in MWLL. I love it's stocky, fearsome tankish look on top of it all. What does it have to offer in MWLL? Most of it's canon Battletech variants are already on par with the in-game weapons. An excellent all around iconic assault mech.

So why IIC's? Because they are clan BATTLEMECHS. That means more build versatility, no engine restrictions, and more bang for your (cbill) buck.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:59:13 PM by StrOf10kBabies »

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-2
  • [CGB] Pilots Captured Long Toms
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 02:28:37 AM »
IIRC, the Jenner was axed from immediate consideration because we have the Owens, which is so close in style.

Rifleman IIC? We have the standard Rifleman already. I don't imagine they'd implement an IIC version before overall new Mechs.

Offline StrOf10kBabies

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-3
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 03:18:02 AM »
IIRC, the Jenner was axed from immediate consideration because we have the Owens, which is so close in style.

Rifleman IIC? We have the standard Rifleman already. I don't imagine they'd implement an IIC version before overall new Mechs.

As I said this before and I'll say it again here...

The IS Rifleman and the Rifleman IIC are completely different mechs. The IS rifleman is 60 tons while the IIC is 65. While the IS counterpart obviously came first, it suffered from numerous problems and still suffers the same issues in MWLL. Low armor and not enough heat sinks for sustained fire. The armor really wasn't necessary and the heat sinks were inadequate for one reason. The mech was a mobile AA platform in battletech lore. The original RFL-3N had a loadout of 2x Large lasers, 2x AC5's and 2x medium lasers. Overall, it was meant for taking down aircraft and really wasn't made for direct mech to mech combat.

Now fast forward a few hundred years to the clans. The clan scientists took the IS rifleman chassis and took it back to the drawing board. They were well aware of the inadequate armor that the original IS rifleman suffered from, and the lack of heat sinks that quickly overheated the mech in battle. They added 11 tons of ferro armor, gave it 19 double heat sinks, slapped on 2 clan large pulse lasers on each arm (and a single ER large laser in the head for backup), added jump jets to help with mobility, and finally gave it a beagle active probe to help with sensors/shut down enemies that might be hiding.

The Rifleman IIC can and has proven to hold itself well in mech to mech combat. Even though it's still considered a second line support mech (like its IIC brothers), it can provide accurate and damaging fire while taking a few hits of its own. Is it an OP mech? Not by any means. You have to chain fire/group fire the clan large pulse lasers to prevent overheating. Even in TT, firing all four clan large pulse lasers usually gave you 1 penalty point in heat scaling (which was usually dissipated next round by the DHS). Carelessness will cause this thing to shut down, or will cause your engine to boil if you override shutdown. Is it a good mech? Hell yes.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:26:32 AM by StrOf10kBabies »

Offline cest73

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-15
  • there are links in my signature -->
    • MW:LL game status online (kudos: Spooky)
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 07:32:46 AM »
There is much more consideration involved than www.sarna.net and CBT table top

And some variants we had, got culled off despite being CBT and canon - they where fun-killers.

And that's a verdict one can't and should not carry long in games of this type and community sizes.

So You find Your self missing quite few "viable designs" that where implemented already (namely the Vulture with quad cSDSRM)

The more You'll find missing some that never made it to the game ("Gauss-zilla").

Just to straighten it up before we sink too deep into this...

And there s also one simple fact to Variant assortment:

Excellent Mechs obscure Average ones - and community devs try hard to obscure the least of the Mech offered, for appreciation of the authors effort.

And certainly go to lengths by trying (and doing) so.

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 06:42:26 PM »
And some variants we had, got culled off despite being CBT and canon
No canon variants were hurt in the making of this release.

As for the IIC. Hunchback: There was a dual UAC20 Hellbringer a couple of releases ago. Guess why we don't have it anymore?

Rifleman: The Novacat fit this role pretty well. Maybe we'll put it back in.

Warhammer: Kinda redundant if you ask me. Just a tougher IS Warhammer.
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline Mech Daddy

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-54
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 08:14:38 PM »
If we're talking new assets we should aim for something which we don't have yet, for a gimmick. I'd like to see Gargoyle for that gotta go fast

Offline Xesle

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +84/-19
  • Git gud scrubs
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 10:48:16 PM »
The old uac20 Loki was cancer but comparing it to a hunchie iic is silly I think.  It's as slow as an assault mech and has less armor than a damned Owens. It would be fun for free for all (but nobody ever fappin plays SA) but would be cannon fodder to the forever meta of LRM camping in TSA and TC.   

Also,  didn't the MK2 Prime lose two of its medium lasers?   Seems like that one got harmed to me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:00:01 PM by Xesle »

Prodigal son my ass.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2016, 04:01:31 AM »
Also,  didn't the MK2 Prime lose two of its medium lasers?   Seems like that one got harmed to me.

Aye it did. But it was missing so much armor and running so hot it wasnt worth having them, we had to downgrade a couple to bring the armor up to par and have it not melt itself in seconds.

I can kill BA only with GAUSS or PPCs

Uh oh boys, we gotta badass here!  ::)

Yep but his point p much was that the damage they do is @$$
I feel that UAC5 are ok though. Havent touched normal AC5. Uac2 is sad even when you have lots of them (that one Daishi), havent touched Ac2 and I can expect it to be much worse.

Sir, I would suggest you try them before you criticize them or I will not hold your opinion very highly.
AC2 as a sniper feels FAR better than the UAC2, I myself hate the constant stream because its almost impossible to balance for its range bracket. But everyone wanted it so....
The AC5 when paired with Large Lasers is just brutal. That Uzi with them hits like the Hgauss Hollander but with far better range and infinitely better ammo (though i will admit it is far harder to use.)
The Rifleman Prime also shocks my opponents with how much damage they take.

The reason there are so many "token" AC2/AC5 variants is that they're quite a bit lighter than their ultra or LBX forms for the IS, and since pretty much everything is heavier on the IS that space saving is important for backup weapons.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2016, 03:17:09 PM »
Oh boy I can't wait for the Hunch IIC to get added so I can get a group of people in them all run passive and pop assault mechs in one shot..

Did you all learn nothing from the dual UAC20 Loki?

Offline =KoS= Saber15

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +181/-2
  • RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2016, 03:43:27 PM »
Old Warhammer Prime should be brought back as a new variant to replace one of the silly schizo-whammys

The new Whammy Prime is a decent mech but it lacks the brutality and adaptability of the old one, which had a decent electronics suite.
"Concentrate on the moment, each moment is its own reality. It has a particular thisness. You can't predict, but you can explain. Or try. If you are observant, and lucky, you can say, this is why this is happening! It's very interesting!"