Author Topic: make content for MW:LL HOWTO  (Read 559 times)

Offline cest73

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-13
  • there are links in my signature -->
    • MW:LL game status online (thanks: Spooky)
make content for MW:LL HOWTO
« on: March 14, 2017, 08:39:24 AM »
Howdy,
I was on my way to make some (few) assets to be available to the community and found no easy way of committing them to the editor.

Here are mine whereabouts and adventures, and some are yet to come...

Preflight checklist:
1. You might generate art on whichever OS you prefer, but the final steps seem to be bound to the Windows platform.
2. Considering this and that, a Clean install of Win_64-7 on about 100GB, and about so on a separate data partition would be my recommended starting point.
3. The later is for the purpose of keeping incremental versions of any work (no delete ever!) and backup on daily basis come without saying.
4. The game (0.8.0 + 0.8.2-patch) the CrySDK-v1.1 and somehow a fresher SDK for the *.dlu needed for any more recent 3dstudio Max than 2009 release.
5. Get the game running,make it look good,check all is working.

-While the editor is working in both 64 and 32 bit modes, apparently it is recommended to do most critical work in the 32 bit version.

6. Check the editor is running and that it uses the MWLL mod (has -mod MWLL on command line)
7. Here on, it would be convenient to get some maps with their *.cry files and investigate around - remember keep incremental copies, as the editor crashes without any prior notice - and no recovery or session is implemented.
8. Locally test any map produced by the local server instance (it is provided with the game)

Further steps after the break (stay tuned)
"Complete destruction of House No. 1, located 3,500 feet from ground zero, by an atomic blast on March 17, 1953, at Yucca Flat at the Nevada Proving Ground"

HPG data-links: Easy tweak FPS n'more
1st 2 weeks and BA guide
101 Survival guide;[R.S.]
NEWS!

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms

Offline cest73

• Lance Captain
Re: make content for MW:LL HOWTO
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »
Kindly thanks to @RDL_Vitos, for the most useful additions :)

Those are excellent maps to start with if You wanna stay with the present asset pool.

Further they excellent to lookup what an asset in WM:LL consists of, quite a lot of work is done in the editor after the art is complete!

Now on to our little adventure:

We have the game and editor working, we have some basic maps, and here are excellent tutorials on map making and starting, so I won't delve in those here.

Now on we are up to produce some art:
In blender or in 3dsMax.

I'm sure there are excellent artists who know way more than me in 3d art and design, I would highly appreciate if chime in here or even correct any of my mistakes. Especially in regards to 3dsMax.

I'm a Blender convert, so here I will lay out how to make art with a blender in the work pipeline.

Blender:
a. Get any Blender  You prefer to work in and just layout Your concept and work on it until it feels finished.
b. Don't emphasize on materials as they won't be covered in this scope (yet)
c. Once done and backed up, save the work in "legacy Mesh format" used in Blender 2.49
e. Install 32bit Blender 2.49b (I'm not sure if there is any other tho) so that the settings are shared for all users (!important!)
f. Get Collada CGF from sourceforge https://sourceforge.net/projects/colladacgf/ it's probable it will stay there for a while so i post the link.
g. To use Colada CGF You need PyFFI also from SF http://pyffi.sourceforge.net/
h. To use PyFFI, again, You need Python, apparently You could choose 2.x or 3.x depending on PyFFI You've got, but I used v2.6.6 FWIW.
i. If You  installed in the order e) h) g) f) You've got an tool-chain able to export *.cgf files for the Sandbox2. I congratulate :D.

but that's not all by far!
To be able to export Your work, there are conventions in Cry2 engine that must be obeyed.
They seem to be mandatory.

1. Degenerate faces - surfaces of zero area - can't be converted so they must be culled out of the art.
2. Multi Face - occluded faces inside geometry and/or faces sharing only  a single vertex - they must be edited to not occur.
3. the number of vertices a single object can hold seems to be limited to about 30k or so, to circumvent this, don't joint to much things together.
4. The number of materials is preferably kept low - at 3 or so. This is especially true for object of mass instancing (trees, fence elements...)
5. Each material has an index that matches the one on the object - it is determined by the order of occurrence in the file.
6. Don't publish anything until tested in the editor - being buggy as it is - count as tested only if loaded from a clean start!

The 1) and 2) are most easy hunt down with the BCry Exporter for modern (2.7 and on) Blender found here:https://github.com/AFCStudio/BCRYExporter similar to the https://github.com/travnick/CryBlend and I couldn't really recommend any before the other.
Bottom line they both don't work.
For Cryengine2 that is, we are bound to use.

But Blender 2.7 series are excellent for art design, and the fact they have those most useful tool for our disposal makes me recommend Blender 2.78b too.

TL;DR:
Blender 2.49b (32 bit) and Blender 2.78b (64 bit) and following tools:
Python 2.6.6
PyFFI 2.1.1
Collada CGF 0.3.9
CyrBlend (or BCry whichever but not both!) for Blender 2.7 series (and Cryengine 3.5.8 and later) for two most useful tools.

After the break we will make a sample workflow of and concept up to the editor (hopefully).

Stay tuned (and tool up!)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:48:45 PM by cest73 »
"Complete destruction of House No. 1, located 3,500 feet from ground zero, by an atomic blast on March 17, 1953, at Yucca Flat at the Nevada Proving Ground"

1st 2 weeks and BA guide
NEWS!

Offline cest73

• Lance Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
Howdy folks, fire-hound here.

Let's assume we have an arbitrary piece of art and are to export it to cry engine.

Some preflight checks here:

1. Be sure the mesh checks on all tests above mentioned - or the export will fail
2. Have the file name the same as the object to be exported
3. The group name of the object is to be same (in Blender) too - any grouped objects render green in wire-frame mode
4. Let the object have materials that, once in cry engine, can be subbed with appropriate ones, so they are placeholders for the internal index
5. The material names are somewhat important too (2.7 blender tool makes all for us)
6. Export the (copy?) to 2.49 and attempt export

As time progresses every less errors will be found and corrected until the proper cgf file is generated.

The materials will be some dull gray, but we will turn to them later

For all above mentioned, I recommend starting design in Blender 2.78 with BCry installed

Next time: 3ds Max2009: materials/ animations/  modifiers and stacks...

stay tuned :)

1st 2 weeks and BA guide
NEWS!

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +339/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »
I'm not familiar with how it works, but given that Discord appears to be the more popular platform for mwll related discussion. This information (as well as the public access files, including your lovely space ship) might well be better placed on there as well.

Offline cest73

• Lance Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:54 AM »
Given the nature of Discord (refer to C. Chaplin's "Modern times" ;) ) I can't see any advantage posting it there, except for a link to here?

Otherwise I'm fine, thanks, Bill  8)

1st 2 weeks and BA guide
NEWS!

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 01:56:44 PM »
I can't see any advantage posting it there, except for a link to here?

I'd probs say so someone other than me can see & reply to it. That and I'm sure there's all sorts of autists on there who would get hooked on mwll map making. Also dude see if you can find Saitou-san, he might be able to help you with the lift problems if you still give a shit. I know he's still about, I found his active youtube account the other day, also he should come back. His maps were amazing.

Good movie btw, one of the classics of that era for certain. I might watch a couple of Burger King's movies later on today, that niggi knew an impressive movie.

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:19:17 PM »
Yeah, Discord is fapping useless for discussions like this. Too bad it's only the three of us now talking to each other here. I hope the new forums will be a bit more lively, it's still my preferred MO of interwebs communication.

Saitou is active on Discord, you can find him there. Look for my main boi Ivaan too, afaik he's the most active mapmaker nowadays, though I haven't seen him around lately.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 02:12:09 AM »
Too bad it's only the three of us now talking to each other here.

Even though this would be better suited for PM, I might be able to pop it in your back pocket this year after all.

We do need another means of communications.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 05:16:42 AM »
Yeah, Discord is fapping useless for discussions like this. Too bad it's only the three of us now talking to each other here. I hope the new forums will be a bit more lively, it's still my preferred MO of interwebs communication.

Saitou is active on Discord, you can find him there. Look for my main boi Ivaan too, afaik he's the most active mapmaker nowadays, though I haven't seen him around lately.

New forums unless via redirect from this URL will have a tough time. This will for a long damn time be the top search result for damn near any combination of words entered for MWLL. The only thing lacking here is full moderator control which isn't REALLY needed. Hell I never had it.

Edit: If you guys ever need some shit done that I cando, just PM me or flag it for mod action with what you want done. I can clean up or archive old shit, sticky and unsticky, etc.
My milk shakes!

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »
New forums unless via redirect from this URL will have a tough time. This will for a long damn time be the top search result for damn near any combination of words entered for MWLL. The only thing lacking here is full moderator control which isn't REALLY needed. Hell I never had it.

Edit: If you guys ever need some shit done that I cando, just PM me or flag it for mod action with what you want done. I can clean up or archive old shit, sticky and unsticky, etc.
The whole infrastructure will be revamped (new website, new forums, new whatever), so I don't think getting traffic directed there will be much of a problem.

Cleaning up the place is actually a good idea. There are some unneccesarily stickied threads which contain old, false or irrelevant data.

Offline cest73

• Lance Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 10:58:37 AM »

@Moderator,
With all due respect for the intentions and merit, may I politely ask this tread to receive a clean-sweep?
I hope all understand why?

From Bills mention of Discord up  this comment (inclusive?)

1. It's meant for 3rd party readers of less mileage than we have
2. The late comments add no value
3. Being clean, this thread maybe applies for sticky?

With all due and more respect, sincerely
fire-hound (a.k.a. cest73)

P.S.
I'm not against any of those comments per se, so if possible at all, copy them to an Toast or General theme or such?

1st 2 weeks and BA guide
NEWS!

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 01:24:06 PM »
I don't think our posts clutter up this thread, really, nor do I think they can just be moved to a different section. The point has been made your first 1-3 posts, so it's absolutely available for 3rd parthei readers.

If you feel this thread is sticky-worthy, I'd also assume it's wiki-appropriate, right? I'd encourage you to do a fact- and grammar-check on all the stuff you posted here, put it into a Word document and send it to one of the wiki editors, see what they think. I'd be happy to check it out, so feel free to harass me, but I don't have any experience with Blender and stuff. The one wiki editor I know has is Bird Thing. If you could do this, the community would greatly appreciate your work with many hugs and kisses. Actually, I already do: :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:37:18 PM by [IPA] Avatar »

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »
2. The late comments add no value

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7syJJrsmrts

The whole boards could deffo use a tidy up though, I'll start compiling a big old list.

Offline cest73

• Lance Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 10:33:10 PM »
Well, I guess I could cram all in the first few posts later?

Still have to visit the 3dsMax and Sandbox2 materials for it to be complete :)

I admit you two are right again!

For the Wiki, let's see if I can put it to any complete form (gimme a week or so)?

but maybe let @Bird_Thing in advance know we up to something?

1st 2 weeks and BA guide
NEWS!