Author Topic: What would Clan Basic Training be like?  (Read 26390 times)

Jetfire

Re: What would Clan Basic Training be like?
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2009, 09:11:41 AM »
Something that could add up to the gameplay is the final trial for position a cadet has to go through to achieve at least warrior status.

An excerpt from the BattleTech Wiki:
Each trial involves two cadets and six opponents in the one circle of equals. For each cadet is a set of three opponents, each opponent fighting one at a time in sequence. Defeating an opponent earns an imaginary kill. While an opponents cadet is engaged they will stay neutral, fighting only when it is their turn. If a neutral opponent is hit, either directly or accidentally, then all opponents become active and the trial becomes a free-for-all and the assignment of opponents on cadets is waived. Hence the opponents can engage any cadet and a cadet can defeat any opponent for a kill and a cadet can even earn a kill by defeating the other cadet in a free-for-all. There are also some other infractions by the cadets that can cause a free-for-all. Since the last thing a cadet wants is a free-for-all, cadets will try to ensure nothing happens that causes one and hence the free-for-alls are rare.
So if a cadet defeats 1 enemy he becomes a warrior.
For 2 enemies defeated he'll start his active career as a Star Commander, having 4 Mechs under his command.
For 3 kills he starts out as a Star Captain, commanding 5 stars.
...and so on.

This could give a qualification system which will allow commanding of troops/teammates in-game only if the player has the needed rank.
Of course one can gain higher ranks in the clans by actions on the battlefield.

Wrong....Clan position is determined most often by a Trial of Position, mate...inside a circle of equals...battlefield promotions are incredibly rare.  One other thing....not all Clans have two cadets perform the blooding ritual at the same time.

Offline Ghostryder

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2009, 07:38:23 PM »
All Clans have a Trial of Entrance that must be passed before a Sibko is truly considered a warrior.  On the gaming side of the house, most Clan-Teams have a specific map/scenario to replicate this.  Depending on the philosophy of the Clan, this gaming ToE is as difficult or complicated as they wish. 
  In Ghost Bear, we generally offer three full tries using a specific map and specific mechs for all parties.  These mechs have very detailed specifications, as the cadet mech is designed to test the Sibko on a variety of things-From gunnery to mech management.
  If they kill one mech, they graduate. 
  Each failed attempt means another training cycle of a minimum of 2 weeks.  If they fail a third attempt, they are dropped from the roles and have to reapply.  Pain in the but from the codex standpoint, but gives them an incentive.

Offline MatthewPryde

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +66/-0
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2009, 12:56:14 PM »
"welcome to training cadet, I like to think of this place as my home. Now, you would not even think of upsetting me in my home now would you? Of course you would not."
Classic lines from the Mech 2 Falconer commander.

As stated a couple times in the post, a clanner's upbringing is his/her basic training. If you are looking for a practical way to preform this in a game, or even this game, the way I have always worked it is very simple. You have your cadet hopefuls put under the tutelage of one of the middle to senior officers, then they learn clan honor, tactics, phrases and combat maneuvers. Then after that is all set and done, you have a trial of position, just like in classic battletech. Each cadet will have a designated target, if they defeat this target, or one of their fellow cadets, they achieve the rank of mechwarrior. Kill 2 targets, and they are fast tracking, starting as a Star Commander. Now, for those who lose, the Inner Sphere is always looking for new recruits...
Comstar: Star Colonel Matthew Pryde, Commander of the 1st Peregrine Strikers, Delta Galaxy

Offline Kiriko Mikino

• Recruit
    • Jenjen's Drawing Place
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2009, 03:10:27 PM »
are you sure that's a falconer commander and not a wolf trainer?
'cause the mech docked at the training bay for the training menu has a wolf decal.
also, he uses "whelp", which is defined as
"whelp (hwelp, welp)
noun
1. a young dog; puppy
2. a young offspring of certain animals, esp of a wolf or dog"

also, for single-player scenario implementation, theres a different thread.
also, most clan training takes place in the K-Cluster... a little far from the innersphere to be recruited.
Nova Captain Kiriko

Offline MatthewPryde

• Lance Captain
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2009, 04:41:24 PM »
No, and no.
He calls the player "scrub" most of the time, as in a mechwarrior that has or will wash out of the warrior caste.

Also, if you select Clan Jade Falcon, from the menu, you will be directed to the Clan Jade Falcon section, you may navigate to the training from there, and notice the large Clan Jade Falcon insignia on the side of the Falconer Commander's mech. However, if you do the whole thing from the wolf side, he does the exact same thing. Only he is in a timberwolf this time around instead of a Mad Dog. I think they kept it neutral so they don't have to make 2 copies of it. Just classic video game lazyness.

And the thread is on how to implement training in game, by the way.
Comstar: Star Colonel Matthew Pryde, Commander of the 1st Peregrine Strikers, Delta Galaxy

Offline CHH Jazz

• MWLL Developer
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • Sound Designer
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »
It would be something like the beginning of the movie Soldier, and include a montage featuring the song Eye of the Tiger.

And yes. That should totally be implemented into the game.

Might before Metal - 35th Infantry Division, Star League Defense Force

Offline CHH Siege

• Lead Texture Artist
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +44/-0
  • Inveniemus Viam Aut Faciemus
    • Clan Hell's Horses: Gamma Galaxy Reborn
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »
It would be something like the beginning of the movie Soldier, and include a montage featuring the song Eye of the Tiger.

Nonono, stuff that, for CHH training it would simply have to be The Four Horsemen. For the rest of the Clans it could be anything off of Kill 'Em All or Master Of Puppets: Battery would suffice nicely, I think.

Proud designer of the Mk II E 'Siege Engine' and the 'Perseus'...
Lo-Wang say, "Animated .gif is worth one mega-word."

Offline CHH Jazz

• MWLL Developer
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • Sound Designer
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2009, 09:56:05 PM »
Haha yes! This is happening. Hell's Horses training montage.

Might before Metal - 35th Infantry Division, Star League Defense Force

Offline Kerfuffin

• Bondsman
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2010, 08:27:45 AM »
I'm sure as some other people stated, try reading the Jade Falcon trilogy. it gives a good idea of what its like.
it seemed to me to be worse than hell  :-X

Offline MatthewPryde

• Lance Captain
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2010, 10:41:58 AM »
Don't be ridiculous, there's breaks in hell

Offline BraylonCWM

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-15
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2010, 09:10:03 PM »
hehe funny ranking crusaders above wardens as far as warriors go. umm correct me if i'm wrong but didn't the warden clans all perform better when fighting ComStar on Tukayyid?

and you guys are all caught up on clanners being superior...did you forget about one of the greatest clan warriors ever to live? he was a freebirth, originated from the inner sphere, won a bloodname, had a new bloodname created using his original inner sphere surname, was the Khan of a Clan, and a Warden to boot!...as a matter of fact i think they even used his DNA in the eugenics program as well, but don't quote me on that it was in the twilight books i think somewhere

...duh Phelan Kell!

if you want a good account of what a culture shock Clan training/bootcamp would be for a freeborn then you need to read the M. Stackpole books detailing the original Clan invasion of the sphere, and the capture and treatment of Phelan as he rises through the ranks. 

it's the Blood of Kerensky series.

pfft, now i'm a CJF pilot, but putting crusaders in front of Wardens...get real...actually if you are trying to separate them at all you should be careful as most of the clans have  supporters of both ideologies within each clan.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:31:46 PM by BraylonCWM »

Offline BraylonCWM

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-15
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2010, 09:24:39 PM »
for extra credit what was Anastasius Focht's real name, he was the Comstar Precentor Martial during the invasion? and no using Battlewiki either to find the answer.

even more obscure but my favorite character from BT was arguably one of the best pilots in the Inner Sphere, rivaled Kai and Phelan in skill and ferocity but his mech piloting career was cut short.
He was known as Jerrard Cranston in the latter BT lore but lived his former life as........?

hehe fill in the blank, and no cheating using Battlewiki/Sarna...let's see who the real BT nerds are.

Offline DFDelta

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +145/-1
  • Wiki Staff
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2010, 09:51:55 PM »
for extra credit what was Anastasius Focht's real name, he was the Comstar Precentor Martial during the invasion? and no using Battlewiki either to find the answer.

even more obscure but my favorite character from BT was arguably one of the best pilots in the Inner Sphere, rivaled Kai and Phelan in skill and ferocity but his mech piloting career was cut short.
He was known as Jerrard Cranston in the latter BT lore but lived his former life as........?

hehe fill in the blank, and no cheating using Battlewiki/Sarna...let's see who the real BT nerds are.

1) Frederick Steiner, after he was released by the Dracs he joined Comstar (or something the like). His new name is supposed to show his new way of thinking and means something like "the reborn fought" loosely translated  ;D ;D ;D
He is a lyran, so of course I would know his background ;D

2) I don't clearly remember, it was something starting with G, surname was Cox. Garret Cox?
But I do remember that he was Victor Davions best friend since they met on the military academy. And that he fought side by side together wich Kai Allard-Liao on Solaris once
Join the MWLL wiki today, your contributions will make the wiki a better place.

In Lyran Commonwealth, Atlas scouts you.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2010, 01:59:15 PM »
Galen Cox.

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod