Author Topic: BattleTech History: Mechs vs BA / Elemental  (Read 28171 times)

Offline Valaska

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Re: BattleTech History: Mechs vs BA / Elemental
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 05:19:04 PM »
 Victor Davion Steiner's tactics... Get Challenged to a dual but be in a Dire Wolf so this works, have him take his armor off, get out of the mech with a Katana, jump down, refuse the fight, make the Elemental go crazy with realization of his wrong doings and such leading an entire clan to its demise, and then have the guy run up to attack you, and promptly hack his head off.

Everyone should know the reference! ;)
"No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings" Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Offline HellHound

• Bondsman
  • Pain has a face, allow me to show to you freebirth
    • MWLL FanBlog (Traducciones al Español)
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
Elemental had filled up building with Gas, firing his lazor out from behind mirrored windows using a valve to keep the gas from going boom.
Phelan used feedback from speakers and microphones on his mech to get the mirrored windows to shatter so he could see the elemental without going into the building...

I also remember that one.

It will be possible to use mech´s speakers in the game?
it should be a good idea (if people do not abuse of this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjUtOP1ZMuI
On this video from Mechwarrior2 can be seen a Ghost Bear clanner roaring with it's Kodiak, after smashing a Vulture with a death from above, a good example of the brutal nature of the clanners.

Anyway, i think there's another way to get rid of Elementals, which consists on getting inside a building, by passing trough its walls, (which is allowed in the table game, suffering damage, etc. -Ref Citytech) or just crash to them.
But i don't know if destroying buildings on that scale should be fine to be implemented here.

Offline Valaska

• MechWarrior
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 11:44:50 PM »
 Hehe the roar after it freezes in on the Ghost Bears Insignia is just a roar mate, the Kodiak didn't actually make that howling roar sound, although yes he could have if he wanted to on the speakers, and those speakers are supposed to go ear damagingly loud lol.
"No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings" Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Offline Bcbear

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 10:34:32 AM »
watch the movie again lol, it roars when it comes out of the snow and surprises the mad dog

Offline Valaska

• MechWarrior
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 11:19:48 AM »
watch the movie again lol, it roars when it comes out of the snow and surprises the mad dog

Oh course on that part but I thought he meant the HOWL lol.

Offline [CW]Outlaw

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-1
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 11:17:57 AM »
Stop drop and roll as David McArthy instructs one of his pilots to do when swarmed by IS Battlearmor.
then again this only works for swarm attacks.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 05:40:01 AM by Blanc »
Former Commanding Officer- Storm Riders
Star Commander Outlaw
13th Wolf Guards "The Wolf Spiders"

If you see ME not in a Summoner, Hellbringer or Kit Fox, double your caution.
--------------------------------
DCM Crow (NBT) Ret.

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 08:48:51 PM »
Suggested new armament options (due to this topic^)....

Magnetic Armor Inductor[BA]- allows BA to stick to any mech it physically contacts (after like a 5 sec. charge time), this would also cause the BA's armor effectiveness to be reduced to some level for game balance.  The charge time would allow a mech to shake it, before the charge time is completed.

Like Mag Clamps? Which allready make it hader for BA to "fall off". They also alow BA to ride non Omni units.

Armor EMP Pack- allows mech to discharge a micro-sized EMP pulse which fries the MAI^ above.  Consequently, after this is used, the pulse affects (somehow..suggestions?) all energy based weapons and ECM/BAP.

B-tech dose have "mech" tazers...

Offline Guardi4n

• Recruit
  • 9 little battlemechs tempting fate, 1 blew a fuse.
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 11:52:48 PM »
Any mech unit worth its money, would have support vechicles in any situation. So id gather the mechjockeys would rely on tanks, APC's, battlesuits and maybe Airsupport to dine on the enemy battlearmour. I always refer to the battles from the JadeFalcon triliogy. They nearly always had support for any mechstars.

Keep the smaller folk around to deal with the othersides smaller folk eh :)
previously known as [KH]Guardian,
a merc without a home

Offline Moriar

• Bondsman
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 10:01:28 PM »
Armor EMP Pack- allows mech to discharge a micro-sized EMP pulse which fries the MAI^ above.  Consequently, after this is used, the pulse affects (somehow..suggestions?) all energy based weapons and ECM/BAP.

B-tech dose have "mech" tazers...

An EMP weapon would only be usable if the Mech using it was shutdown, or it would fry the own Mech's electronics also, not a very subtle way or effective way if you have to engage other units after deploying it, not to mention a very unfair advantage. Due to the fact that after you deploy the EMP its an Instant-win button to any Mech within range. And if you were to make one of those, I seriously doubt anyone would stop at just a BA removal purpose honestly. Neat idea, but just really unbalanced in a world where everything is electronic on the battlefield.

Offline Ashes

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-3
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 11:23:59 AM »
-Ashley sits in her Mech as the Elemental gets closer acting on pure will she fires her Laser at its full contect. The Elemental easily Dodges as it takes flight in midair. With the SRM out of ammo and the laser over heated she does the smart thing...She charges at the Elemental...HEAD ON. The Elemental does not know what to think. Seeing a big Heavy 100 ton Mech and a Girl with attitude is the least of its worrys. Up in the sky the Golf ball like drop ships descend and destroying the puny Elemental with its main weapons.-

To me these Giant Golf balls save your ass heaps of times. Am i right? Such as the ending of MechCommander 1 when they destroy all them Madcats ^_^

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 07:41:54 AM »
Well they can be very powerfull, but they are also some what fragile.

They can easily have the firepower of an assault mech or two, but quite often their armor is not quite capable of withstanding a sustained assault, not to mention that they are an easy target while on the ground.

Offline Diablo48

• Lance Captain
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2009, 08:02:07 AM »
Well they can be very powerfull, but they are also some what fragile.

They can easily have the firepower of an assault mech or two, but quite often their armor is not quite capable of withstanding a sustained assault, not to mention that they are an easy target while on the ground.

That is of course only if it is a transport.  Some of the assault DropShips out there carry a disturbing amount of weapons and armor.

Offline =]FC[=Striker

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-6
  • The INSTIGATOR™
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 01:45:08 PM »
Test of Vengeance

Jake Kabrinski takes on a Draconis Combine Atlas one on one.  He jets up to it, only to be swatted with an Atlas punch.  Unfortunately, the Atlas falls down due to the swing.  When the mech gets back up the pilot learns to his horror that Jake is on the back armor firing away.  After a futile use of the rear mounted Medium Lasers, the pilots gets a brilliant idea:  fall backwards.  So he jams the foot pedals and causes his Mech to fall on it's back to crush the Elemental.  Almost worked, but unfortunately when the pilot regained consciousness, he saw a very battered Jake blast through his cockpit and stab him with the claw.

Elemental 1, Mech 0.  Better luck next time!

I know I am late to the party, but when I read the question the quote is immediately what I thought of. I am glad I didn't have to rummage through my 30 or so novels to find the reference.

Striker
"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war." -William Shakespeare

"The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny, and it is useless for the innocent
 to try by reasoning to get justice, when the oppressor intends to be unjust." -Aesop's Fables

Offline CHHš Sturmadler

• Lead Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-0
  • Clan Hell's Horses || Commanding Officer
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 12:27:24 AM »
the above quote is remarkable because it is an exception.  Such a thing should not be commonplace.

Offline Rampage

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +26/-0
    • Rampage Computers
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 02:01:12 AM »
A one on one battle between a mech and an Elemental was indeed a rarity. There were a few instances of it happening in the 25 or so novels that I have read. Victor Steiner-Davion's personnel bodyguard was a female clan Elemental name Tiaret she often accompanied him into battle and took out mechs. The IS mechwarriors lived in fear of the "Toads". The mere suggestion that there were Toads present on the battlefield sent chills of fear through even the bravest of the mech pilots. Normally the balance of power was 5 Elementals = 1 mech.