Author Topic: How were you introduced to the Mechwarrior universe?  (Read 22164 times)

Offline shyrkonflex

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-0
Re: How were you introduced to the Mechwarrior universe?
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2011, 01:08:10 PM »
Saw the cover of MW2 on the jewel case laying aorund at my dads place when I was young, he got it together with a graphics card he bought.
I then went for around 15 books or so (mostly Robert Thurston, Jade Falcon stuff and a lot of IS like Dark Age and some things).
Then played some MW3, some MW4 and Mechcommander 2 with some mates and thats what it was like ... kinda typical I guess :D

Offline SarelFox

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2011, 04:33:41 PM »
I was seven years old when my father got our first PC, and he was a gamer as well. He bought Mechwarrior, and I literally learned to pilot and the tactics at my dad's knee. I was hooked ever  since. I've played so many games and had so many technical manuals that it pretty much flooded my childhood. My dad encourages it. He used to watch me play MechAssault on the XBox, and he watches me play Living Legends when we hang out together. It's awesome. Battletech runs in mah blood.

Offline Springer Prime

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • "'I've got better things tonight than Die.'"
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2011, 06:14:38 PM »
I was introduced to Battletech shortly after its departure from Battledroids.  Yes.  im aging myself.  Just call me Morgan Kell ok.
I started GMing it very soon.  It was something right up my alley.  With the release of the original Mechwarrior RPG i started integrating the RPG with the Table Top game.  Most people ive played with through out the years loved this comibination.  Of course ive dont EVERYTHING Btech Related since.  Read all the novels, Stackpole is still the greatest.  Played Every game ever made.  I even use to play the 'Pods' often.  In Colorado and Denver few are as up to spead as i am.

I even Do Btech Demos for IWM.  Being a commando for Catalyst was just too annoying. 
Springer Prime
After there was Optimus, then there was Rodimus, and then there was me.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »
Springer was my favourite triple changer.

Offline Springer Prime

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • "'I've got better things tonight than Die.'"
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2011, 01:07:54 AM »
Thanks,  He is my all time Fav.  I still have one in the box.  he he.  Ive had the Springer/ Springer Prime alias since 1986.

Its even my Ps3 Network ID. lol
Springer Prime
After there was Optimus, then there was Rodimus, and then there was me.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2011, 07:35:44 AM »
Well TFTMP was a massive part of my childhood (it's as old as me, but i am essentially a child of the 80's, comes with being poor i guess), it's just a shame they didn't utilise him that much in the cartoon, well series 3 was insane anyway but you get the idea.

I think we'll get only fine Springer, it'll be nice to have someone to get the daft TF references i spit out on occasion.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2011, 11:07:19 AM »
A friend of mine back in the days bought MechWarrior 2 and at some point later, he recommended it to me and I borrowed it. I didn't know anything about MechWarrior or BattleTech at the time. However, at the time I only had an old Intel486 PC. It was far too underpowered for MechWarrior 2, but I tried it anyway ;).

I installed it, went to Clan Wolf I think and tried the first training mission. It ran at 10 FPS or so. The first training mission is in a Fire Moth, where you simply learn to move the Mech and then shoot some targets, as far as I remember. Well, I let it move, turned the torso left and right, shot may be on target I think... and then the game crashed.

And you know what I thought after that? I thought holy shit, this is AWESOME :D

Despite the performance problems, I continued to try playing the campaign missions, which were insanely hard, even on easy, due to the bad performance. Later on I got my first Pentium with 200 MHz and all was good then (apart from a lot of problems with the PC in the beginning though).

I didn't learn about the rest of the BattleTech Universe for a long time. For me only Clan Wolf (the bad guys for me) and Clan Jade Falcon (my good guys) and the Inner Sphere (some big, mysterious, powerful, common enemy) existed. I didn't even read the back stories of the missions. In fact, I only learned about the Refusal War in which MW2 takes place one or two years ago (after starting to read every BattleTech novel from the beginning a few years ago). I even played through MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries and MechWarrior 2 (plus Ghost Bear's Legacy) then, to "live" what I am reading ;). Currently I finished reading 'Shadows of War', so in theory I could play MechWarrior 3 now. However, since the story of MW3 is completely detached from the main story line of BattleTech, it would be kind of boring...

Offline Evgen

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2011, 09:41:14 AM »
Everything started for me from Metaltech: Earth Siege
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32lnuuikg6U

Later I discovered MW2: Mercenaries and I am with Battletech universe since then.

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
My older brother brought home a copy of Mechwarrior 2 for free along with some Star Wars game he bought. by then the game was already 7 years old. Th Star Wars game was terrible, and my brother didn't like Mechwarrior much, but I loved it. 8 years on and to this day I have never seen another Mechwarrior game in any store, anywhere. Then I found MWLL, and all my old childhood memories came back to life, Though the start up sound in MW2 is way better than now, which is what I remember most, apart from the soundtrack.
12th Vegan Rangers - Missile spam is the best kind of spam!