Author Topic: Suicides to start with Heavy Mechs  (Read 11923 times)

Offline Rockstone

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
  • General of The Davion Heavy brigade
Re: Suicides to start with Heavy Mechs
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 08:53:57 PM »
What button is the suicide button? I didn't know we had one.
I do not have any emotions, only an emotion processor.

"You fool- you are recalibrating the Holovid just to please me"

"When you are faced with a fight like that, it is best to dodge AWAY from the shot, not into it."

Play Tribes 2 now for FREE! http://www.tribesnext.com/.

Offline Rally

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-1
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »
What button is the suicide button? I didn't know we had one.

I think it's on the map screen.

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »
Yep your correct Rally.

Press "M" and below the Map is three different options: Switch Team (Left), Spectator (Middle), Suicide (Right).

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 05:05:17 PM »
What about limiting the transfer of c-bills to those of a certain Rank. I know this isn't an ideal fix (and there are many holes), but it seems to me to be relatively painless fix. I know it's not perfect, but it's a thought.

I think it's a nice solution. Such limitation is simple and easily understandable. For example you could only transfer Cbills to the players with a rank that lower than yours.

Here's another idea: how about time-limiting cbills transfer only. Say, no more, than one transfer per 5 minutes? I think it could severely limit suicide farming, and still leave the whole ideas of money donation and suicide intact, with fellow players still being able to donate money to buy one big mech early in the game, but not the whole bunch of'em.  ;)

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline namwons

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010, 02:50:32 AM »
im actualy not playing yet and still dl'ing (and reading the forum for infos), but why do you get c-bills for dieing? i would have it to were you would have to survive atleast 2mins (or 1min or w/e amount of time deem nessesary) to get paid on your next respawn. it would not be a death timer but a survival timer. getting paid to die over and over just doesnt seem right. getting paid to survive seems like the right way to go.

Offline Raptor Khatib

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
well the Cbill system is not complete yet as the dev's have said. Secondly unless you have someone to bank the money living is the best way to make c-bills in bulk. Third depending on the balance of the teams and how close the enemy is to your base you can die running out of the hanger. In which case it would lead to alot of nothing but BA's vs mechs tanks and VTOL's by your suggestion and the other team won't leave the base alone after that.

As for the events being talked about here well I have not seen this personally(not saying it doesn't happen). So in the long run it may be an issue but I doubt it is a major one. Unless the abuse really files there are bigger fish to fix atm. Just my $0.02

Offline Threesan

• MWLL Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-0
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »
The time-since-death donation restriction approach sounds fairly nice.

To explore some alternatives:

Separate the wages minimum spawn money from bonuses earned. Be unable to donate money from the spawn wages. (Side effect: can't share legitimate money at start of round, as stands.) As a side note, it's kind of annoyed me that you keep none of your bonuses until you cross your wage threshold, and that lately I've been thinking, "I'm likely to die soon so I should quick/scramble to donate my petty cash as otherwise it'll (up to 1 x wage) go to waste and I'll start with the wage regardless."

Or, if spawn wages were doled out over the span of, say, 1-5 minutes (with the exception of first spawn) up to your wage cap (measured separate from or together with bonuses?). So, at start of round you have 20K, and as you buy or donate, your 20K wages from next spawn start flowing in, over time. You do 5K in damage, your wages stop when you have 25K... Perhaps you could keep a lower minimum, say 10K (with timer-delayed donation and further wages flowing in normally... though then you might get stuck in a minimum+flow loop, having spent your next life's (mech's?) wages on the previous life/mech -- maybe just pay wages over time up to wage cap, not tied to spawn? Or, tangentially, wages over time up to [wage] with minimum spawn cash the same, just to help keep bonuses?) Some formulation of this might address another annoyance/quasi-exploit: aero, bomb, crash, aero, bomb, crash. Or solo suicide charges, just trying to get in and do a little damage for rank, even though it hurts the team overall. Side effect: some variants make it harder to shake base-rape.

Offline Drathorin

• Bondsman
  • What's this little "Missiles" button mean?
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
I like the current system of the cbills donation thing.

While I don't suicide, I'm kind of a terrible player and die usually every 2-3 minutes.

I always send my leftover funds to teammates once I purchase my vehicle and ammo. Usually it's a few k at first rank.

I'm not a huge fan of the proposed timers on death that were suggested earlier in this thread, while I don't crash planes into mechs to kamikaze per say.

I usually get shot down incredibly quickly, and once or twice when I bailed when I was under attack by 2 other planes and my armor was down to around 5. . I bailed, and my plane fell on me as I tried to flee.  It counted as a random death, and my score suddenly shot to -250,000.

D: I am just so terrible people think I'm committing suicide.

I don't think 4 or 5 people donating their cash to one guy so he can get a heavy or assault mech is a bad idea at the start of the round either. Think about it, one team has a heavy/assault mech, while their teammates are just BA or in vehicles. In order to survive they have to support each other and that one mech. So you have a lance or small squad that has a different dynamic and in some ways harder to stay alive than fighting 5 light/medium mechs.

Sure it's unfortunate for the one guy that's fighting that heavy/medium toe to toe. But this game is supposed to be about teammwork right?

I think the current system is fine, people just have to understand how to properly come up with strategies and counter strategies.

Offline Threesan

• MWLL Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 03:23:46 PM »
The issue isn't about donations being unfair per se, but that as things stand the donation/wage system can be exploited.

Offline Drathorin

• Bondsman
  • What's this little "Missiles" button mean?
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 08:29:41 PM »
The issue isn't about donations being unfair per se, but that as things stand the donation/wage system can be exploited.

Oh my bad. I must of gotten sidetracked somewhere.

Offline 4204ME

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +38/-0
    • MWBU
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »
I don't see it has that big of a problem. If my enemy fields an Atas 3 min into the round then my team will rank quickly as we dogpile it with ullers. Never forget everything you build is potential enemy points.

Offline Threesan

• MWLL Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »
But it's also the case that the more firepower you field, the faster you rank, and the slower the enemy team will rank (not being able to deal as much damage being damaged or destroyed). Meanwhile, your lighter teammates will also suffer less damage and destruction, helping them stay more effective longer, adding an ancillary team bonus.

To say nothing of a fair fight outside of score.

Offline ~SJ~KorbinWimmer

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 05:46:56 AM »
I have an idea: Count time since last suicide - if it's less than... let's say 1min than you'll get half of a credits you did last time.
Problem solved.
All in all not many people get bad luck twice in 60 seconds. ;)

(time can be adjusted to reflect the gameplay ofq.)

Someone hasn't seen me try to fly..... :(

Offline MaverickOriginal

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »
I have an idea: Count time since last suicide - if it's less than... let's say 1min than you'll get half of a credits you did last time.
Problem solved.
All in all not many people get bad luck twice in 60 seconds. ;)

(time can be adjusted to reflect the gameplay ofq.)

Someone hasn't seen me try to fly..... :(
Korbin's right.. imagine walking up to your brand new aero, and have the wing slice you in half because it was closer than the cockpit.
Bugs aside, it is annoying to watch people suicide and get cash. Really its a self-policing issue.

We had one guy on the TLL server randomly give me cash and was like "ok you can hand it back now"
it started a nice flame war on the chat of the server before the guy was kicked by admin.
Deforesting clearcut since Dec 26 2009.

Offline Aposiopesis

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +52/-0
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2010, 09:37:14 AM »
Or we could just hope the devs manage to fix the issues which currently require the ability to suicide and then remove the suicide option. That's the ideal fix.