Author Topic: 'MechLab Custom 'Mechs and Ranking Up  (Read 13141 times)

Offline (TLL)Sky_walker

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +66/-1
  • Close Range Attack Forces
    • MWLL Wiki
Re: 'MechLab Custom 'Mechs and Ranking Up
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 10:06:11 AM »
offline mechlab as mech variant creation is a process that takes much time, often with some iterations of testing it
+ it's like just asking people to start cheating.
No way for Mechlab outside crysis.

2) You will be able to choose one mech (or a specific number of mechs) per weight class/vehicle class that you can bring into a game.
Classes could be: Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault, VTOL, Aerotech, etc.
No no, and once again: No.

It MIGHT work if you are a newbie, just learning the game, but as more experience player you should know that this game is about picking up proper measures against your opponents, environment, to support your team in best possible way. You cannot limit game to 1 customized mech of each class as it would spoil tons of fun.

This is to make sure super-laserboat 7ERLL Novacats are expensive so they cannot be exploited like in Mech4 (where they were free)
It's not MW4! Right now we have laserboats, as same as we have LPL boats or PPC boats or gauss boats - all of them are dangerous, but none of them is a killer like it was in MW4, and you rarely see such mechs on the battlefield. Guess why? Cause they are easier pray than they look on paper.
Constant heat problems, low accuracy (hitting is easy, holding the beam on single part is nearly impossible)... it doesn't make laserboats very friendly.

create a map explicitly for customizing a Loadout, but that still demands that you can 1. export the config, and 2. import the config in the game. Optionally running the game on your own server and creating and saving the config there. But you still need the ability to select the config in the normal Buy Menu regardless. That said if it is kept in a secluded map, you will have players connected and disconnecting time and again due to a flawed config.
This would be good. Could work well as map you start by selecting single-player campaign in game.
MWLL Wiki Newsletter: Wiki suffers from spammers and lack of activity - change it now, jump in and contribute with something useful! :D

Proud to be C.R.A.P. inspiration # MWLL Wiki Admin # MWLL Alpha Tester # Dev Team # MWLL Defense Force Mercenary - Battlemech Barracks

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 11:18:18 AM »
offline mechlab as mech variant creation is a process that takes much time, often with some iterations of testing it

No, if there's a simple server-side checking of a variant for consistency(as overall tonnage and weapons/equipment compatibility with chassis mount opins) when it is loaded for multiplayer. If it's a cheatmech, just don't let it into multiplayer. Simply as that.

create a map explicitly for customizing a Loadout, but that still demands that you can 1. export the config, and 2. import the config in the game. Optionally running the game on your own server and creating and saving the config there. But you still need the ability to select the config in the normal Buy Menu regardless. That said if it is kept in a secluded map, you will have players connected and disconnecting time and again due to a flawed config.
This would be good. Could work well as map you start by selecting single-player campaign in game.
This is pretty much what I was talking about in my post.

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline Rally

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-1
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »
1) 'Mechs are to be configured outside of the game (if Crysis allows this, but probably not).
Reasoning:  So you can configure mechs for hours of fun.  I enjoy this.
I want it both ways. In game and out of game. Worked fine in MW4, we should stick to what works. I don't want to spend hours in game to modify mechs, but I sometimes do want to make a small change to my mech configuration while on a mission.

2) You will be able to choose one mech (or a specific number of mechs) per weight class/vehicle class that you can bring into a game.
Classes could be: Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault, VTOL, Aerotech, etc.
Reasoning: To make the default variants still viable if the situation in-game makes your custom mech not as effective (tactical reasons).
Or it backfires, defaults will hardly get used, and only a small common collection of the best custom variants will ever see the battle field. Besides, this limits innovation, and I don't like that.

Offline (TLL)Sky_walker

• Living Legend
    • MWLL Wiki
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 02:00:49 PM »

No, if there's a simple server-side checking of a variant for consistency(as overall tonnage and weapons/equipment compatibility with chassis mount opins) when it is loaded for multiplayer. If it's a cheatmech, just don't let it into multiplayer. Simply as that.
Yep, I know that :) But how are you going to tell Crysis to do that when you cannot mess with it's net code? It's not an open source game ;)
MWLL Wiki Newsletter: Wiki suffers from spammers and lack of activity - change it now, jump in and contribute with something useful! :D

Proud to be C.R.A.P. inspiration # MWLL Wiki Admin # MWLL Alpha Tester # Dev Team # MWLL Defense Force Mercenary - Battlemech Barracks

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 03:29:10 PM »

Yep, I know that :) But how are you going to tell Crysis to do that when you cannot mess with it's net code? It's not an open source game ;)
If it's possible for a server to load information from a client, then there would be no problems with that, as no net code manipulation will be necessary. After variant is loaded as game object, it could be checked the same way any variants, created online, would be checked before spawning a mech. But if such loading is impossible, then we'll see no mech variants and weapon groups saving whatsoever.

Maybe someone of the developers could comment on this issue?

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline (TLL)Sky_walker

• Living Legend
    • MWLL Wiki
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 04:26:16 PM »
Even if you can load data - I'm not sure of there's a way to validate it...
Devs comment would be very appreciated :)

Offline [IPA] Bravo Cadett

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
    • Dream Team Leipzig
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 07:02:58 PM »
so next thing that comes up is a mech mod contest, so the devs get nearly all posible vehicle modivications xD

i like the idea of a offline/outofthegame mech lab, but i think its hard to add all construction rules in it ...

Offline Incubus 24-7

• Recruit
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 09:40:27 PM »
i don't like the idea of a totally free mechlab, because the multi laser (or lrm) boats would take over, the field. that would take out most of the fun and challenge out of the game.

the pod system, like it was shown in the vid, seems to keep a minimun of diversity of weapons on the mechs.

i think that there should be like 6 variants per mech model, but its just a beta right now. as a pilot it's part of the challenge to cope with those "imperfections", that would vanish with the mechlab.

the only thing i would like to change is the color of the mechs, so clans or teams can play with the same color. because the targeting is mostly visual, that would help identify friend and foe.

just my 2ct.   
Home of the iMech - just apps no guns

Offline 7.[WD]Ragor

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +111/-3
  • Maj.7thWolf'sDragoons a.D.
    • 7th. Regiment 'eta' Wolf Dragoons
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 09:47:46 PM »
[Suggestions]

3) Cost of the mech would be calculated by what you have on the mech.
Reasoning: To fit into the Rank-up c-bill scheme so custom mechs can be balanced.  Then you can even factor in if you have a 7 ERLL NovaCat, you can make it more expensive thereby nerfing it.  If people use a particular loadout most frequently and it seems "cheap" or "overpowered", it can be nerfed by making such a loadout more expensive in the next patch.

Example) 1 ERLL costs 4000 cbills, then adding the 2nd ERLL will make that one cost 4100, and so on until the 7th one will cost 6000cbills.

But I like the idea of colour changing. I need a chrome-finish...  8) ::) ;D

Offline [IPA] Bravo Cadett

• Lance Sergeant
    • Dream Team Leipzig
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »
i don't like the idea of a totally free mechlab, because the multi laser (or lrm) boats would take over, the field. that would take out most of the fun and challenge out of the game.

the pod system, like it was shown in the vid, seems to keep a minimun of diversity of weapons on the mechs.
i mean with mechlap, modifing the mechs in order to the POD/Slot system + some internal work (bigger reactor, more Heatsinks,other Armor protection ect...)

i think that there should be like 6 variants per mech model, but its just a beta right now. as a pilot it's part of the challenge to cope with those "imperfections", that would vanish with the mechlab.

yeah would be cool in the beta to change some MBL's to MG's or TAG laser ... or change LRMs to SSRMs ^^

the only thing i would like to change is the color of the mechs, so clans or teams can play with the same color. because the targeting is mostly visual, that would help identify friend and foe.

just my 2ct.
colores would be very nice ... maybe the Blue/Gold  Red/Gray from Mechcommander ^__^
so it makes more sense to capture an enemy mech (beside to get clan tech or advanced IS tech/lost tech)

[Suggestions]

3) Cost of the mech would be calculated by what you have on the mech.
Reasoning: To fit into the Rank-up c-bill scheme so custom mechs can be balanced.  Then you can even factor in if you have a 7 ERLL NovaCat, you can make it more expensive thereby nerfing it.  If people use a particular loadout most frequently and it seems "cheap" or "overpowered", it can be nerfed by making such a loadout more expensive in the next patch.

Example) 1 ERLL costs 4000 cbills, then adding the 2nd ERLL will make that one cost 4100, and so on until the 7th one will cost 6000cbills.

But I like the idea of colour changing. I need a chrome-finish...  8) ::) ;D

loled, so every1 see you on 1500+ meter while your mech is shiny like a mirrow ?

Offline Incubus 24-7

• Recruit
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 10:27:01 PM »

loled, so every1 see you on 1500+ meter while your mech is shiny like a mirror ?

yes, but u would be instantly blinded, by the silver surfer...

Offline =KoS=Zeus

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-0
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 10:39:42 PM »
I'm telling you guys, mech lab is going to create the 12-16 ERMBL Madcats that can kill a Demolisher in one shot. Heat isn't an issue because of coolant which can stop even the most insane heat spikes multiple times.

If we really wanted to eliminate alpha strike boats then I'd say get rid of coolant all together. Let's see how many people fire off 6 LBLs on an Awesome when they can't flush coolant anymore. Same goes for jump jetting cougars with 50 LRMs.

Offline Incubus 24-7

• Recruit
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 10:50:28 PM »
I'm telling you guys, mech lab is going to create the 12-16 ERMBL Madcats that can kill a Demolisher in one shot. Heat isn't an issue because of coolant which can stop even the most insane heat spikes multiple times.

If we really wanted to eliminate alpha strike boats then I'd say get rid of coolant all together. Let's see how many people fire off 6 LBLs on an Awesome when they can't flush coolant anymore. Same goes for jump jetting cougars with 50 LRMs.

agreed, as suggested, the server admin should be able to turn the mechlab on or off. so everybody can chose which servers to play on.

Offline (TLL)Sky_walker

• Living Legend
    • MWLL Wiki
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 10:57:55 PM »
Zeus6S - you won't. Madcat doesn't have that many gunslots, and even those it has aren't suitable to handle MBL everywhere. I think max would be like... 6? or 4 +2 SBL. Nothing harmful nor capable to kill Demolisher in one shot.
I think it's impossible to make a mech with more than 6 weapons of single type in current system (judging by mechs already in game)

Also your madcat would sux... first of all it'd need hevullah of coolant meaning you nearly-always would be on a trip back to base, secondly even MBL sulla could kill you as you are without any AA defense, third it'd be unable to brawl nor fight on long range efficiently (your damage would spread all over enemy mechs while Gauss/LRMs would finish you before you could enter close enough to hold fire on single point)

Offline Rally

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-1
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 11:37:15 PM »
Zeus6S - you won't. Madcat doesn't have that many gunslots, and even those it has aren't suitable to handle MBL everywhere. I think max would be like... 6? or 4 +2 SBL.
Well actually, it has. Each ear can mount 3 lasers, each arm 2 and 1 laser can be put in each torso. That totals 12 MBL!

Also your madcat would sux... first of all it'd need hevullah of coolant meaning you nearly-always would be on a trip back to base, secondly even MBL sulla could kill you as you are without any AA defense, third it'd be unable to brawl nor fight on long range efficiently (your damage would spread all over enemy mechs while Gauss/LRMs would finish you before you could enter close enough to hold fire on single point)

With 25+ heatsinks, coolant won't be much a of a problem. AA defense capability can't be much worse than the average mech. Sure, it doesn't have great range, but those 12 MBLs can still go up to 600m and I don't think I have to describe what they'll do to a Sulla. You're right with the range, it is an issue for such a slow mech, but there's always SA_Marshes. Anyway, we don't really know how good it will be, but I won't say it's a useless configuration.