Author Topic: Ahh! I'm turning into a BT fanatic again!  (Read 2868 times)

Offline [CW]Aresye

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-1
  • Clan Wolf
    • Clan Wolf
Ahh! I'm turning into a BT fanatic again!
« on: April 19, 2010, 02:00:50 AM »
Since I'm all hyped up on N.O.Xplode and tobacco before my workout, I'm writing this because I haven't been this engrossed in the BT universe since I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure I'll love this stuff to the end of my days.  I've even gone as far as trying to eliminate contractions in my posting, but as you can see, I've pretty much given up on that.  Luckily for me, Amazon had all 3 books in the Blood of Kerensky trilogy, and just under a week, I'm almost done with the 2nd installment.  Given Clan Wolf is my favorite Clan, and I love Clan society in general, I've found the entire book series very rewarding, especially considering Phelan Kell is probably my favorite character in the entire universe.  The epilogue of Lethal Heritage gave me goosebumps, as I'm sure it did for some of you as well.  I've found myself enjoying all chapters of each book, but silently looking forward to the next chapter of Phelan's life.

*BTW, Sun-Tzu has got to be the most annoying character featured in a book I've read since Prince Joffrey in the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin (another great read).

Reading up on Clan society in the books got me thinking though, and I've found quite a few similarities between that society, and my life in the military thus far.  Being in a squadron, our departments almost make-up a caste type society.  We have a maintenance department, an administrative department, and an operations department (which I am a part of).  As part of the ops department, we're the ones who fly the missions, going into harms way.  The other departments work for the sole purpose of ours, just like Clan society all works in support of the warrior caste.

The relationship between officers and enlisted, at least in the Navy, is very similar to that of the trueborns vs freeborns in Clan culture.  We have different uniforms, and if you count in the dress blues, we have piping that basically symbolize our freeborn status.  Above all, the officers receive better treatment, but in general because both officers and enlisted make up our ops department, I'd liken us more similar to the Wolf Clan, and the higher tolerance for freeborn warriors.

Squadrons all have patches to symbolize which unit they belong to, usually after animals, such as The Raging Bulls, The Red Lions, The Dusty Dogs, and the Dragonslayers, to name a few.  This further supports the division between regular Navy, and squadron life, with the squadron's likeness even closer to that of the Clans.

Another funny thing I've noticed between my squadron, and some of my co-workers, is we even have a sort of Circle of Equals battle at times, even though I'm the only one really drawn to the BT universe.  This is off-duty of course, but sometimes the only way we settle arguments is by putting on boxing gloves, and battling it out.  Other times we resolve our issues through wrestling to submission, but it certainly beats unending verbal arguments.

Also in our culture, we generally treat anybody over the age of 26 to be "old."  While obviously this is untrue, it's just another similarity between our life and that of the Clans.

All in all, I definitely enjoy my military life thus far, and the fact I can go to work thinking I'm more like a clanner going through daily duties definitely helps ease the stress that comes with a military lifestyle, and certain makes the boring times pass easier.  With that, I think it's about time to go work out, but I'm interested in hearing some of the responses, especially from other military members who may have also noticed some similarities.

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
Re: Ahh! I'm turning into a BT fanatic again!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
Well, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Make sure you're a CBT/BTU fanatic, not a MW4 one ;)
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:59:47 PM »
Good lord how did I not notice this post before!!! I definitly agree aresye...I was dormant in my BT loving self until I had another outlet for it! Now that its here...with my purchase of the book series and CBT books and figures I am making sure that my CBT and MWLL loving self is here to stay!  Not only that but Smoke Jaguar is a common word in my house, d@mn straight!

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline c0smec6e

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:58:04 AM »
My views on the subject
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:30:28 AM by c0smec6e »

Offline c0smec6e

• Bondsman
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:02:04 AM »
Well, it seems that you are pretty much into the idea of having a NO Xplode and tobacco before working out. Well then, that explains why you are so much into the CBT. After all, I think you are pretty lucky now that you have all the three books from Amazon. Anyway, I am wondering why you have not said anything about any of those books then. If you can, do share with us the story of Blood of Kerensky trilogy.

Offline clamallergy

• Bondsman
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:09:34 AM »

Hi Amarus,

Are you part of the smoke jaguar clan on youtube? Your videos rocks!!! you guys really work well together in your battles!!!

Offline ~SJ~KorbinWimmer

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 06:14:37 PM »

Hi Amarus,

Are you part of the smoke jaguar clan on youtube? Your videos rocks!!! you guys really work well together in your battles!!!

*high five*

Now spam wangmauler with PM's and demand he upload our trials we just had!

Offline clamallergy

• Bondsman
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 05:06:45 PM »

Hi Amarus,

*high five*

Now spam wangmauler with PM's and demand he upload our trials we just had!

you guys having trials again? are you all from USA? I'm from Singapore...

oh btw i finally found my copy of my crysis manual which contains the pc-key!!! am installing crysis again and jumping into MWLL at last!!!

Offline ~SJ~KorbinWimmer

• Lance Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »
We're from all over. Japan, USA, England, Germany, Sweden, Australia, etc

Offline clamallergy

• Bondsman
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 05:35:40 PM »
We're from all over. Japan, USA, England, Germany, Sweden, Australia, etc

Oh wow!!! how u guys co-ordinate your sessions across all the different time zones? hope i can join up with you guys once i get my metal ass trashed enuff to learn how to survive on my own and tear up our opposition like the clan's namesake!!!

As the insect feeds the bird,
As the bird feeds the wolf,
As the wolf feeds the smoke jaguar,
So all give life to the warrior
Who sheds his blood for their glory.
—The Remembrance (Clan Smoke Jaguar), Passage 121, Verse 43

Offline ~SJ~KorbinWimmer

• Lance Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 06:42:08 PM »
Scheduling is definitely a challenge.  It's pretty much impossible to schedule a 'perfect time' with a unit across so many time zones..... That said most our our players are either European or North American.  So we usually schedule things during evenings on eastern coast of the US.   I believe that would be mid-morning for you. 

Offline clamallergy

• Bondsman
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 05:31:16 AM »
yeah.. that will be when i will be at work... craps.. not that i have the skills to join ur clan...

someday maybe... cross my fingers

True warriors do not follow paths, they make them. It is not just their desire, it is their nature
—Nicholas Kerensky

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 06:02:50 PM »
I find your quotations of our rememberance and the founder very uplifting.  What Korbin means is that normally events are scheduled using EST as the standard time, sometimes we play early and some times we play late, but you can guarentee that a Smoke Jaguar is always online.  You are more than welcome to visit our forum (in my sig) and drop a line. With your knowledge of the rememberance and the way of the clans you will certainly have a leg up warrior.

-Aposiopesis-

Offline clamallergy

• Bondsman
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 12:01:17 PM »
I find your quotations of our rememberance and the founder very uplifting.  What Korbin means is that normally events are scheduled using EST as the standard time, sometimes we play early and some times we play late, but you can guarentee that a Smoke Jaguar is always online.  You are more than welcome to visit our forum (in my sig) and drop a line. With your knowledge of the rememberance and the way of the clans you will certainly have a leg up warrior.

thanks Amarus. Yeah i know about the timing problem. Right now Singapore is 13 hrs ahead of you guys on the east coast (for example).

if you guys are playing in the evenings most of the time i assume i will be just starting work.

No matter what i hope i will be able to see you guys online and in ur forums then.

cheers!

Clams

Remember Franklin Osis,
father of his Clan.
Three strengths he gave us:
The Jaguar's spring that brings the enemy down,
the Jaguar's claws that rend the enemy's heart,
the Jaguar's taste for the enemy's hot blood.
- Passage 104, Verse 18, Lines 5-10

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 07:52:13 PM »
Seriously if you are going to be quoting Smoke Jaguar rememberances you are going to get me all misty eyed :'( ;D

-Aposiopesis-